Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

My UW Hoops Screed

DHDDHD Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,407
5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
Founders Club
edited January 7 in Payton's Place
Two preliminary assumptions:

1. People care about UW hoops.
2. All the kids are wonderful people, and my scathing criticism does not imply that any of them are bad people.

I have NO idea how Hopkins assembles this group of players and then plays the style of basketball that we're forced to watch week after week. It's God damn painful to watch.

Mulcahy: I like this guy. For the olds, I think he could be the UW equivalent of the Sonic's Johnny Johnson. Point forward, who can give you 10 points a night, but more importantly, 10 assists a night, 6 or 7 rebounds that he has no business getting and 3 or 4 steals just based on the fact that he clearly understands the game. I'd love to see the offense run through him at the elbows/high post. However, Hopkins parks the guy at the 3-point line (and he's a shitty shooter from that range) and lets him try to figure out what in the sam-hell Wheeler is trying to do on offense. Mulcahy is about as mis-matched to our shit-show offense (and I use that term loosely) as any player in college hoops.

Wheeler: Complete mystery as a point guard. He'll put up a great stat line and if you're on the other team, you're happy as hell that he's NOT on your squad. For every great play, he'll give you a head-scratcher that comes out of nowhere. Career wise, he's got a bunch of assists, but I'd love to know how many of those were to guys on the perimeter who hit wide open 3's after he drew the defense to him as opposed to how many of those were passes on the interior when a big man bailed him out on one of his out of control drives that seem to happen with such randomness that I'm positive his perimeter shooters are as surprised by his penetration as the defense is (sorry for the run-on sentence).

Brooks: Elite (hat tip to Fudgie) athlete. Every time I see him, I think "why is this guy not Matisse Thybulle with better offense"? Disappears for long stretches of the game and NEVER asserts himself on the defensive end of the floor. If he's gonna' play at the next level (which he's not), he oughta' be a defensive stopper that can actually score from time to time. I think he's good, not great, but in our system he just sorta' floats around, with the occasional burst to remind you that he's on the floor and can take over a game, then, he disappears again.

Meah: 7-footer that plays like he's 6'2, and he's regressing. If you watch him, on either end of the floor, every time a shot goes up, he takes one or two steps TOWARD the hoop, which instantly makes him out of position for rebounds that he should easily get. He can't react to anything that comes off the rim that isn't right in his hands because he's so deep under the basket. It's a horrible habit that is going to be very hard to break. He's a step slow on offense and defense, again, because he doesn't seem to realize how big he is. He never establishes position and holds it and makes guys work around him, instead, he's constantly "chasing" everything.

Johnson: When I see him, I think of Venoy Overton (minus the strong pimp-hand) with better offense. He's inconsistent, helter-skelter (not always in a good way) and not a very good passer, but he definitely has a role on this team because he appears to be one of the few guys that actually wants to prove something when he's on the floor. I don't necessarily like his game, but if you gave him a role that was clearly defined (create chaos) in limited scenarios, I think he has a lot of value.

Wood: I like his game, but he clearly has no idea what Hopkins expects him to do out there. We all know he's supposed to spot-up and shoot (and make) 3's, but when was the last time you saw UW run any sorta set/quick-hitter to get him a look? Never? I can count how many times Wheeler has drawn the defense and kicked to him on one hand. Every clean look he gets seems to be an accident or an after-thought. So, if you're Wood, what do you do? Float and HOPE that someone gets you the ball, or try to be more active on offense? If you're more active, you probably just get in Wheeler's way and you STILL don't get a clean look.

If you gave me this bunch of guys, I'd use our depth to full court/half court press more often and try to create transition opportunities for Wheeler or Brooks. If I had to run a half-court offense, it would go through Mulcahy at mid-range. I'd show Brooks about 10 hours of tape on Thybulle and tell him that if he wants to play at the next level, that's what he's gotta' do and I'd try to motivate him to be a difference maker on the defensive end and let that transition to his offense. I'd turn Johnson loose from time to time and let him ball hawk/improvise on defense to try to change pace and generate offense out of his defense. I don't know what I'd do with Meah, as I'm not sure what he adds to the other 4 guys you have on the floor at any given time.

I'll stop now.

I know ... TLDR ... I just had to vent.

Comments

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,000
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Other than Oregon State, we might be the only team that we can beat.
  • Options
    RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,224
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    What happened to the Frank dude? He's a beast. Foot injury again?
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,572
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    As I’ve said many tims here this is a 20-22 win roster but because of Hopkins they will win 14-16. As I’ve also stated, although I do love a good UW basketball team, Hopkins only has a year left on his deal. Let him see it through. Don’t waste 3 million on firing him when you’re attempting to lock up and sign a unicorn in football. Basketball can be turned around quickly no matter what damage Hopkins does in the next year and a half with a sound hire. The AD has come this far, may as well save the money and see it all the way through.
  • Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,044
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited January 9
    I thought we? were going to lose by 3.

• Options
    BroadcastingDawgBroadcastingDawg Member Posts: 1,245
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited January 18
    It's been a tough watch of late.

Kepnang going down killed them. Meah and Breidenbach aren't meant to see more than 5-8 minutes a game. Even then, they're all terrible big men despite their collective experience in college ball. You'd think both Kepnang and Meah could spend 5 minutes a day with Breidenbach to learn even the simplest post moves... but ofc not.

Wood is supposed to be this elite shooter but like so many UW given that praise, he's in his own head and misses wide open shots constantly and it just kills momentum.

I have no idea why Mulcahey transferred here. He got 15 minutes last game as a super senior... dude can't shoot worth a lick, he's clearly going through significant mechanical problems... the ball comes out flat and sideways.

Wheeler plays WAY too out of control... so does Johnson. If there was anyone on this coaching staff that gave an actual shit about developing talent and teaching discipline at the PG spot... these guys wouldn't be making half the dumb decisions they do.

This whole "it's great that Brooks lets the game come to him" BS is ridiculous. He should be taking 50% of the shots or kicking out with the ball in his hands on every possession. Instead, he just runs to a corner for 10-minute stretches and stands still.

It's not a brand of basketball that's going to produce any sort of consistency. None of these guys are well established in their roles and the team has no clear plan out there other than hoping their talent wins them a few games here and there.

Hop needs to go. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise that Gonzaga is falling off... w. the new NIL stuff maybe Few takes the job at Washington where more resources are available.

• Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,484
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I decided to do other shit, turned it to the game with about 1-2 minutes left, and it was the saddest shit I've seen from him which is really saying something with how his tenure has gone since 2018.

I don't even care if they're good, getting throttled by fucking Colorado. It's costing more to keep him at this point. And the team sucks and is just boring to watch. Brooks sucks. The Oregon center is always hurt. Just a fucking shitshow. The Gonzaga win in hindsight doesn't even do anything for me anymore.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Most of the time they just look poorly coached, but last night they looked like they didn't give a shit. That was as half-assed a performance as I've seen from a Hopkins team (and that's saying something). I saw the same thing as was mentioned in the thread that is currently on the main board, in that, we started the game with 4 guys standing and watching while different guys took turns going one-on-one. It was embarrassing. The defense was equally lacking in effort.

When Koren Johnson dislocates his shoulder and jogs from the far end of the floor all the way to the locker room and not another player or coach interacts with him on his way by the bench ... that's the definition of dysfunction.
  • Options
    ReignManReignMan Member Posts: 217
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Up Votes
    DHD said:

Most of the time they just look poorly coached, but last night they looked like they didn't give a shit. That was as half-assed a performance as I've seen from a Hopkins team (and that's saying something). I saw the same thing as was mentioned in the thread that is currently on the main board, in that, we started the game with 4 guys standing and watching while different guys took turns going one-on-one. It was embarrassing. The defense was equally lacking in effort.

When Koren Johnson dislocates his shoulder and jogs from the far end of the floor all the way to the locker room and not another player or coach interacts with him on his way by the bench ... that's the definition of dysfunction.

I noticed Koren as well, and thought the same thing. What a mess, season can't end fast enough.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Then they hit 60% from the floor and beat a decent Utah team by 30. We are watching, or not watching, the least consistent team in America. Talent will win this team 15-16 games despite Hopkins. I was all for keeping Hopkins another year and spending that money on football but it’s over. Watching Yates and Diallo win 12 games next year is a non starter for me. Cut ties TD. It’s time.

• Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,980
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

hold the course and continue to let the buyout shrink. Continue to direct funds to football and the NIL collectives. Spending on basketball gets minimal returns. Jen's stupid buyouts aren't worth eating at the expense of better football players.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

So fucking pumped for this apple cup!!🏀!!🍎🍏!!

Is Hopkins even .500 against this team since they fired Kent?

• Options
    NookTunnelSyndromeNookTunnelSyndrome Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 183
    Name Dropper 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Stop the madness…Please Troy

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Neat game. What's his name, whoever that fucking WAC guy is that the cougs got, is now 7/9 against Hopkins.

I didn't see that guy even leave his chair almost the whole time. Out-evaluates our coach by a mile.

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,000
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Hopkins' only win in close games this year was the miracle buzzer beater 3 in Berkeley.

Wheeler essentially turning it over middle school style to the lose the game is just comical.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Hopkins secures his second close win of the season only because he blew a 20+ point lead (would have been the biggest blown lead of the season in the entire NCAA) and squeaked it out in OT after ASU's best player had to come out 😂

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Meanwhile those plucky Cougs, picked to finish 10th in the Pac, just beat Arizona at McHale Center to take sole possession of first place. The last time WSU was first place in the league this late in the season was 1950. Good tims