Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Deboer and NIL

Comments

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,149
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Citation needed.

I couldn’t find it - but remember some DeBoner quote that was like “we were behind on NIL and we’re not there yet, but improving.”

You run the numbers on NIL versus reported payments to players and it never makes much sense. Lots of crowing about how Bama signed up 1,000 people to its monthly NIL in the last week. But that thousand pledges is maybe an extra $25k per month. That’s like… 2% the annual total some of the biggest collectives reportedly have as a budget.

So you’re left with this relying in a very outsized way on a few boosters that likely get tired of carrying the load once the novelty wears off (unless we get Bill Gates - faggy wink).

Which of course makes the Cougar bake sale to raise $2,000 to but 20 student athletes annual Peacock subscriptions even funnier.

Dannen seems to “get it” and I bet we see some stuff like tying NIL donations to Tyee - making people feel like they’re getting something back for this. And sounds like some of the local businesses actually did have decent pull last offseason.

But at the end of the day - keeping up short term sounds like it’s giving your best 5 to 10 boosters a better hand job. Clearly it’s improving with Dannen, which is funny since all you ever heard about Cohen is “how good” she was with boosters.
    Yes I distinctly remember DeBoer saying something like that. It followed Leopard Print saying (a few months earlier) "We're not riding in that lane. You don't want us in that lane."
  • Options
    wooderson92wooderson92 Member Posts: 125
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Standard Supporter

Citation needed.

I couldn’t find it - but remember some DeBoner quote that was like “we were behind on NIL and we’re not there yet, but improving.”

You run the numbers on NIL versus reported payments to players and it never makes much sense. Lots of crowing about how Bama signed up 1,000 people to its monthly NIL in the last week. But that thousand pledges is maybe an extra $25k per month. That’s like… 2% the annual total some of the biggest collectives reportedly have as a budget.

So you’re left with this relying in a very outsized way on a few boosters that likely get tired of carrying the load once the novelty wears off (unless we get Bill Gates - faggy wink).

Which of course makes the Cougar bake sale to raise $2,000 to but 20 student athletes annual Peacock subscriptions even funnier.

Dannen seems to “get it” and I bet we see some stuff like tying NIL donations to Tyee - making people feel like they’re getting something back for this. And sounds like some of the local businesses actually did have decent pull last offseason.

But at the end of the day - keeping up short term sounds like it’s giving your best 5 to 10 boosters a better hand job. Clearly it’s improving with Dannen, which is funny since all you ever heard about Cohen is “how good” she was with boosters.
    Yes I distinctly remember DeBoer saying something like that. It followed Leopard Print saying (a few months earlier) "We're not riding in that lane. You don't want us in that lane."
    I guess I'm hopeful that the fat cats had so much fun in Vegas, NO, and Houston that Husky football becomes their new hobby. Russian oligarchs of Medina buying women basketball teams shit. Is Lloyd still around here so we might get a pulse of what the upper crust might be thinking?
  • Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Mad_Son said:

Kalen DeBoer is a genius. Bama will buyout his contact in 6 months and he'll be laughing all the way to the Milbank. He'll buy a small fiefdom in South Dakota and retire as Baron DeBoer.

• Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,280
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited January 17
    dannarc said:

Dannen has been pretty clear that UW is going to have to do more with less. Less meaning more than most, but not as much as some. I think UW is going after NIL and fundraising enough to secure the potential to win championships, but not throwing tons of money at unproven commodities like Oregon does.

From my cynical vantage point UW does care about football and winning, I believe they offered DeBoer what they felt was appropriate with his experience, but the unknown was recruiting and was he worth that kind of money over that many years? How often do those massive contracts pan out?

Honestly, what NIL bought player hasn’t done well at Oregon? Not all transfers are NIL bought as well.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,971
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

Citation needed.

I’ll nominate fudgie to give them zj’s.
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,756
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

dannarc said:

Dannen has been pretty clear that UW is going to have to do more with less. Less meaning more than most, but not as much as some. I think UW is going after NIL and fundraising enough to secure the potential to win championships, but not throwing tons of money at unproven commodities like Oregon does.

From my cynical vantage point UW does care about football and winning, I believe they offered DeBoer what they felt was appropriate with his experience, but the unknown was recruiting and was he worth that kind of money over that many years? How often do those massive contracts pan out?

Honestly, what NIL bought player hasn’t done well at Oregon? Not all transfers are NIL bought as well.
    Are you saying Oregon is or should be the standard now?
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,868
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    They only fired Ramming about a year ago, right? Or she left, whatever

• Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,534
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Our NIL won't be top of the B1G but Seattle and our base will make it competitive. Jen was just lazy (obvious).

The thing DeBoer complained about was the state laws, which I believe are just some ambiguous "ethics clauses" that are easy to get around with enough effort (again, his girl didn't want to put forth any effort).

So instead like a dumb fuck he flees to Bama which pretty much relied on Nick just flashing his rings to players. DeBoer could have had 1 to show them, but he's a bitch.
  • Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,491
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

haie said:

Our NIL won't be top of the B1G but Seattle and our base will make it competitive. Jen was just lazy (obvious).

The thing DeBoer complained about was the state laws, which I believe are just some ambiguous "ethics clauses" that are easy to get around with enough effort (again, his girl didn't want to put forth any effort).

So instead like a dumb fuck he flees to Bama which pretty much relied on Nick just flashing his rings to players. DeBoer could have had 1 to show them, but he's a bitch.

I don't think Saban flashed his rings as much as he flashed how much money his draft picks had made. It was something like $2.6 billion aggregate. That's a legitimate sell to a recruit when you're trying to get an NIL discount, "Hey, you're not going to make as much while you're in school but look what's waiting for you if come here and put in the work." Now? They are running hind tit in the SEC.

Teams with bigger NIL programs than Bama in the SEC right now: Texas, A&M, Georgia, Florida, LSU, Mizzou, Tennessee, and Ole Miss. Probably Oklahoma and Auburn too. All those SEC teams have been looking for an edge on Bama for years, and jumped all over NIL. They are so out in front of Bama right now it's not funny and it's not like the state of Alabama is overrun with captains of industry waiting to unload cash on them. The Phyllis from Mulgas and Pee Wee from Grand Bays of the world, believe it or not, can't sustain a competitive NIL program when Texas has players driving around in Lamborghinis courtesy of the local dealership

I think Deboer is a fine coach, but good luck selling two years at a P5 school and a coaching up a bunch of NAIA scrubs to the blue chip recruits in the south. That isn't going to move the needle when you can freely transfer to play for coaches with a better track record of putting guys into the pros AND get paid more while you're in school. Deboer's assistant hires aren't really moving the needle, either. It's just his South Dakota buddies plus his other buddy from Indiana that took a demotion to be the DC so far. Georgia stealing the DB coach was masterful. Welcome to the SEC, Kalen.
    DeBoer is fucked, he just doesn’t know it yet.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,991
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

haie said:

I don't think Saban flashed his rings as much as he flashed how much money his draft picks had made. It was something like $2.6 billion aggregate. That's a legitimate sell to a recruit when you're trying to get an NIL discount, "Hey, you're not going to make as much while you're in school but look what's waiting for you if come here and put in the work." Now? They are running hind tit in the SEC.

Teams with bigger NIL programs than Bama in the SEC right now: Texas, A&M, Georgia, Florida, LSU, Mizzou, Tennessee, and Ole Miss. Probably Oklahoma and Auburn too. All those SEC teams have been looking for an edge on Bama for years, and jumped all over NIL. They are so out in front of Bama right now it's not funny and it's not like the state of Alabama is overrun with captains of industry waiting to unload cash on them. The Phyllis from Mulgas and Pee Wee from Grand Bays of the world, believe it or not, can't sustain a competitive NIL program when Texas has players driving around in Lamborghinis courtesy of the local dealership

I think Deboer is a fine coach, but good luck selling two years at a P5 school and a coaching up a bunch of NAIA scrubs to the blue chip recruits in the south. That isn't going to move the needle when you can freely transfer to play for coaches with a better track record of putting guys into the pros AND get paid more while you're in school. Deboer's assistant hires aren't really moving the needle, either. It's just his South Dakota buddies plus his other buddy from Indiana that took a demotion to be the DC so far. Georgia stealing the DB coach was masterful. Welcome to the SEC, Kalen.
    I think they are getting to the point where they know it. We all knew college football was wild but did anyone think the roster turnover would be this drastic?

We have not a single starter returning on offense right now. Bama is going through the same. Unless a coach is guaranteed a major pay day I am not sure you will see as much jumping around going forward unless there's more regulation on the portal.

The days of Rick or KDB winning with other coaches guys appear to be over. It's full on rebuilds at these places and programs with stability are set to feast on the rosters. What a time to be alive.
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

haie said:

I think they are getting to the point where they know it. We all knew college football was wild but did anyone think the roster turnover would be this drastic?

We have not a single starter returning on offense right now. Bama is going through the same. Unless a coach is guaranteed a major pay day I am not sure you will see as much jumping around going forward unless there's more regulation on the portal.

The days of Rick or KDB winning with other coaches guys appear to be over. It's full on rebuilds at these places and programs with stability are set to feast on the rosters. What a time to be alive.
    Unless you are Arizona, then you dont give a fuck about football, become a G5 school, lose your entire coaching staff, hire some no name coach, and still somehow hold on to most everyone.