Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Will Pete Carroll just be another elderly coach who now sucks?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,861
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Sandra6 said:

PatsDoog said:

Pete still has it. Ill push back on Pop being washed on your list, too. That roster is horrid outside of Wemby.

I've heard that about the Spurs roster, but I really can't imagine that a coach with 5 championships has zero say over what his roster is. If the roster sucks, I think that's largely Pop's fault, anyway.

Usually the "woke" people are the ones who defend who bad Pop is nowadays. I mean, they were tied for last place in the Western Conference last year, and their last winning season was about 5 years ago. And now they're somehow worse than ever after improving the roster with Wemby.
    I had a woke man child who went off on me in 2017 because I disagreed with one of his stupid, pandering woke statements.

I remember the Slurs being really good from roughly 1999 to 2015 with admiral, the big three, Bowen, Kwahi Leonard, and some role guys. I don't care about today's woke NBA which is three guys waiting for three pointers and these skinny 6' 11" guys who think they're small forwards. There's zero post play.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,939
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Sandra6 said:

Sandra6 said:

PatsDoog said:

Pete still has it. Ill push back on Pop being washed on your list, too. That roster is horrid outside of Wemby.

I've heard that about the Spurs roster, but I really can't imagine that a coach with 5 championships has zero say over what his roster is. If the roster sucks, I think that's largely Pop's fault, anyway.

Usually the "woke" people are the ones who defend who bad Pop is nowadays. I mean, they were tied for last place in the Western Conference last year, and their last winning season was about 5 years ago. And now they're somehow worse than ever after improving the roster with Wemby.
    Wtf are you talking about? Firecohen makes more fucking sense then this.

I was responding to PatsDoog's claim that the Spurs roster sucks and that Popovich doesn't suck too. I was saying that the Spurs are now on about their 5th straight losing season, they keep getting worse and worse every year (even after adding Wemby before this year), and that even if the Spurs roster sucks that's largely Popovich's fault for not demanding a better roster.
    Inserting the word woke into that incoherent ramble was the kiss of death.
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Sandra6 said:

PatsDoog said:

I had a woke man child who went off on me in 2017 because I disagreed with one of his stupid, pandering woke statements.

I remember the Slurs being really good from roughly 1999 to 2015 with admiral, the big three, Bowen, Kwahi Leonard, and some role guys. I don't care about today's woke NBA which is three guys waiting for three pointers and these skinny 6' 11" guys who think they're small forwards. There's zero post play.
    peak boomer brain rambling by you two
  • Options
    PatsDoogPatsDoog Member Posts: 159
    5 Awesomes Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    this thread went to shit in record time
  • Options
    Sandra6Sandra6 Member Posts: 147
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited January 14

Sandra6 said:

Sandra6 said:

PatsDoog said:

Wtf are you talking about? Firecohen makes more fucking sense then this.

I was responding to PatsDoog's claim that the Spurs roster sucks and that Popovich doesn't suck too. I was saying that the Spurs are now on about their 5th straight losing season, they keep getting worse and worse every year (even after adding Wemby before this year), and that even if the Spurs roster sucks that's largely Popovich's fault for not demanding a better roster.
    Inserting the word woke into that incoherent ramble was the kiss of death.

Popovich is famous for making woke statements. I think that the people who defend Popovich are woke people who agree with his political views.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,507
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    It's probably Leipold which is fine, dude has been impressive, 9 wins at Kansas vs 9 wins at Fresno is a shittier conference, but I want to know what their plan is going to be for the roster and recruiting.
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,294
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Joe Gibbs took 12 years off the from football and came back to the worst franchise in the league. He made the franchise better in his 4 years (2 playoff appearance). It’s still the last playoff game they’ve won.

Paterno had some very bad seasons as he aged but he still had some excellent seasons. They were 8-1 when he was fired. Below is basically starting at age 69:

Bottom line: all-time great coaches can always coach, up until they physically or mentally lose it.
  • Options
    haie said:

It's probably Leipold which is fine, dude has been impressive, 9 wins at Kansas vs 9 wins at Fresno is a shittier conference, but I want to know what their plan is going to be for the roster and recruiting.

Yeah, people keep forgetting that Deboer's relevant resume was a 12-6 record in just 2 years at an MWC school. (And lol if you cared about his record more than a decade earlier in the even shittier NAIA.) His resume didn't exactly seem to be the greatest of all time when he was hired.

I actually think Leipold has a better pre-hiring resume than DeBoer did.
  • Options
    edited January 14
    whlinder said:

Joe Gibbs took 12 years off the from football and came back to the worst franchise in the league. He made the franchise better in his 4 years (2 playoff appearance). It’s still the last playoff game they’ve won.

Paterno had some very bad seasons as he aged but he still had some excellent seasons. They were 8-1 when he was fired. Below is basically starting at age 69:

Bottom line: all-time great coaches can always coach, up until they physically or mentally lose it.

Oh, God, did you seriously mention Joe Gibbs as a counterexample? He was 30-34 in his second stint. Before Belichick, he was considered the ultimate example of an NFL coach who damaged his reputation by coaching when he was too old. Yeah, he was better than Spurrier's 12-20 record- what a great achievement.

It's not much of a secret that Penn State suffered 4 losing seasons in 5 years from 2000-04 because Paterno was actually trying to coach the team, and PSU did okayish from 2005-11 because PSU forced Paterno to become a do nothing figurehead while the assistants ran the team.