Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Franklin BBQ in Austin

BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,526
First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
Great ending to the Natty trip. Meat coma is slowly setting in as I wait to board. 10 out of 10 would highly recommend. Got a pound of brisket, pound of ribs, half pound of pulled pork, potato salad, and their bourbon banana creme pie between the three of us. Potato salad was the only thing that wasn't to my preference. Had a little too much vinegar and mustard for my taste.

Comments

• Options
    Founders Club
    Oh, and those sausages were damn tasty (chortle). The jalapeño cheddar was an 11 out of 10.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,934
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

Oh, and those sausages were damn tasty (chortle). The jalapeño cheddar was an 11 out of 10.

Yeah, they look good. Did you take it down all at once or bite by bite?
  • Options
    JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,150
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Shiner Bock with the meal?
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited January 10

Inch by inch, of course.

I also learned that I need to get an offset smoker of some kind.
  • Options
    Founders Club

I had a Shiner on-base at JBLM last week at a party at a Colonel's house. It was fine for a lager. CSB.
  • Options
    JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,150
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

I had a Shiner on-base at JBLM last week at a party at a Colonel's house. It was fine for a lager. CSB.
    I never could really tell the difference with suggested pairings of food and drinks but had a Shiner with some brisket one time and it kind of made sense for once
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,908
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    We hit 4 Houston breweries yesterday capped off by dinner from Pinkerton’s BBQ where I met Roman Tomanshoff - I’ll post the CSB details of my conversation with him in the Wam tomorrow.

Brisket and a cheddar jalapeño sausage were fucking delicious. Sides were ok.

Went to Saint Arnold, 8th Wonder, True Anomaly and Turkey Forrest breweries. 8th Wonder wasn’t as good as I hoped but the rest were great. Saint Arnold is massive and was a cool spot. Turkey Forrest got selected because it was close to Pinkerton and was a fun spot with us, one of the owners and another couple the only people there.

We made it to Ninfas for lunch with friends from Lexington who were down for an appointment at the cancer center. Thank you to @Sobchak_Security for that recommendation. Mrs Nacho says it was the best margarita she’s ever had and she’s had a lot.

Houston didn’t disappoint on the good side.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,959
    Swaye's Wigwam

People forget Bock is a lager.
  • Options
    Purple_PillsPurple_Pills Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,819
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

I was in Shiner yesterday:

For BBQ I hit up City Market in Luling on the way to AUS.

• Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,479
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

We hit 4 Houston breweries yesterday capped off by dinner from Pinkerton’s BBQ where I met Roman Tomanshoff - I’ll post the CSB details of my conversation with him in the Wam tomorrow.

Went to Saint Arnold, 8th Wonder, True Anomaly and Turkey Forrest breweries. 8th Wonder wasn’t as good as I hoped but the rest were great. Saint Arnold is massive and was a cool spot. Turkey Forrest got selected because it was close to Pinkerton and was a fun spot with us, one of the owners and another couple the only people there.

We made it to Ninfas for lunch with friends from Lexington who were down for an appointment at the cancer center. Thank you to @Sobchak_Security for that recommendation. Mrs Nacho says it was the best margarita she’s ever had and she’s had a lot.

We hit Pinkerton’s yesterday, it was good. The brisket was fantastic, as was the jalapeño cheddar sausage. The pork ribs were pretty good, but nothing special. I thought the duck and sausage jambalaya was really good, but I wasn’t impressed with the Mac and cheese or potato salad. The smoked bread pudding was straight fire. I think their brisket was ever so slightly better than Truth’s, but Truth had better ribs and way better sides.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Inch by inch, of course.

I also learned that I need to get an offset smoker of some kind.
    Seriously, man. Those offset stick burners put an entirely different level of smoke into the meat. My next smoker is going to be one of those. They’re way more work, but I think they’re worth it.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,908
    Founders Club

We hit Pinkerton’s yesterday, it was good. The brisket was fantastic, as was the jalapeño cheddar sausage. The pork ribs were pretty good, but nothing special. I thought the duck and sausage jambalaya was really good, but I wasn’t impressed with the Mac and cheese or potato salad. The smoked bread pudding was straight fire. I think their brisket was ever so slightly better than Truth’s, but Truth had better ribs and way better sides.
    One thing I’ve noticed with bbq places. They all typically have 1-2 meats that are better than the next place but the next place will have their 1-2 meats better than the first place.
  • Options
    Founders Club

One thing I’ve noticed with bbq places. They all typically have 1-2 meats that are better than the next place but the next place will have their 1-2 meats better than the first place.
    I haven’t been to a ton of legit southern BBQ joints, but that definitely seems to be the case. Everyone has their go to cut of meat, makes sense restaurants would have that too.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Final food update. We took a state highway route out of Houston and drove through College Station. Didn't stop as I didn't wanna get raped by any ATM cult members but we stopped in Bryan, TX and grabbed a to go order from a place called Proudest Monkey and took into a brewery called Blackwater Draw. Those fucking tacos were legit. Probably the best I've ever had. Only had 1 beer at the brewery and was happy to eat our lunch there as they just opened and there was no one there beside the bartender.

I'm sure I'll eventually get back to Texas and if I'm anywhere near Bryan, I'd go back for those tacos.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,501
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Did the rounds in that little block of 2-3 breweries after I drank the leftover beers and did the podcast episode in the morning.

Overall decent place to have this game.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    haie said:

Did the rounds in that little block of 2-3 breweries after I drank the leftover beers and did the podcast episode in the morning.

Overall decent place to have this game.

I missed a brewery in that area. I only saw 8th Wonder and Anomaly.
  • Options
    section8section8 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,581
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Haven't made it to Franklin yet, but Im in Ausdtin every couple months so one of these times I'll get there. Terry Blacks is crowded but good, Micklewaithe is near Franklin and probably my favorite for lamb and pork. Further out of town Valentinas makes a killer brisket breakfast taco of you don't want to eat the rest of the day.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    america can fucking cook some fucking meat. that is for sure.
  • Options
    Sobchak_SecuritySobchak_Security Member Posts: 141
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

I still fucking hate Phoenix because we lost the natty there and it's taken me a while to forgive New Orleans, too. So I won't blame the Dawgs for any Houston hate. But I'm glad you all ate and drank well. It's all there is to do in Houston really.

I need to say my time as a "fan" of this Washington program has been the biggest fucking emotional roller coaster. I still like you all so I hope there's some rainbow at the end of this shit storm.
  • Options
    TXDawgTXDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 818
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Founders Club

I still fucking hate Phoenix because we lost the natty there and it's taken me a while to forgive New Orleans, too. So I won't blame the Dawgs for any Houston hate. But I'm glad you all ate and drank well. It's all there is to do in Houston really.

I need to say my time as a "fan" of this Washington program has been the biggest fucking emotional roller coaster. I still like you all so I hope there's some rainbow at the end of this shit storm.
    Being a Washington fan is like a night out drinking only tequila and capping it off at a taco wagon with a fantastic barbacoa but a questionable health rating...there's highs, lows, some scattered good memories, and regret.