Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Deboer gone

Kiss of death. Eklund says he’s staying.

- News: Kalen DeBoer was at the facilities today and it was "business as usual" according to several sources I spoke to.

- News: Have heard from several players (through acquaintances, family members, etc.) that a team meeting was led by DeBoer today and it was about wrapping up the season and also looking ahead to the start of the 2024 season (winter conditioning is considered the start of the season by the staff and players).

-- Thought: I could be completely naive here, but I just don't see a fit for Kalen DeBoer at Alabama. Could he win there? Absolutely. However, the Alabama fanbase expects top 5 recruiting classes every year (if not number one). I don't see him playing the games necessary to get to a top 5 class. Also, he's never coached in the south, none of the coaches he's coached with, to my knowledge, have ever coached in the south and they have very few contacts down there. Obviously, all of that could change, but it's definitely something to consider. Lastly, the south is a completely different animal than the midwest and west coast when it comes to football. The culture is so much different surrounding it all. At Alabama, a 9-3 record is reason to give a coach the boot. They expect you to be in the CFP every season at a minimum.

-- Thought: It's never good to be the guy who follows the legend. It's much better to be the guy who follows the guy who followed the legend. DeBoer knows this.

-- Thought: Norvell makes much more sense for many more reasons. He's coached and recruited the south, he's won at all of his stops (just like DeBoer) and with FSU's situation with the ACC, he may be much more willing to go to Alabama than DeBoer is to leave Washington.

-- Thought: If Alabama were to offer him 13 to 15 million per year, I'd be shocked if he turned that down.

-- Rumor: DeBoer signed an MOU with UW (heard this from mulitple sources), but it has since expired (there's a time limit on an MOU). I heard it was in the 9.5 to 10 million per year range, but that was before UW won the conference title and the Sugar Bowl and played for the national title. I believe, if UW is to keep him and get him to sign an extension, that he will need to get roughly 11 to 12 million and I also believe the assistant pool will have to be significant (5 million might not be enough). DeBoer takes care of his guys.

-- Thought: I just have a hard time seeing DeBoer leave UW at this juncture. His daughter is signed with UW. His family loves it here. He just bought a new house or is in the process of doign that. Obviously, all of that can change, but I just get the sense that he wants to keep his feet rooted here in in the PNW.

-- Thought: I don't believe this goes much longer. If it isn't Alabama, I don't see any other flirtations happening (at least in this coaching carousel cycle).

Comments

• Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,922
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fuuuuuuuuuuck.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,895
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

- News: Kalen DeBoer was at the facilities today and it was "business as usual" according to several sources I spoke to.

- News: Have heard from several players (through acquaintances, family members, etc.) that a team meeting was led by DeBoer today and it was about wrapping up the season and also looking ahead to the start of the 2024 season (winter conditioning is considered the start of the season by the staff and players).

-- Thought: I could be completely naive here, but I just don't see a fit for Kalen DeBoer at Alabama. Could he win there? Absolutely. However, the Alabama fanbase expects top 5 recruiting classes every year (if not number one). I don't see him playing the games necessary to get to a top 5 class. Also, he's never coached in the south, none of the coaches he's coached with, to my knowledge, have ever coached in the south and they have very few contacts down there. Obviously, all of that could change, but it's definitely something to consider. Lastly, the south is a completely different animal than the midwest and west coast when it comes to football. The culture is so much different surrounding it all. At Alabama, a 9-3 record is reason to give a coach the boot. They expect you to be in the CFP every season at a minimum.

-- Thought: It's never good to be the guy who follows the legend. It's much better to be the guy who follows the guy who followed the legend. DeBoer knows this.

-- Thought: Norvell makes much more sense for many more reasons. He's coached and recruited the south, he's won at all of his stops (just like DeBoer) and with FSU's situation with the ACC, he may be much more willing to go to Alabama than DeBoer is to leave Washington.

-- Thought: If Alabama were to offer him 13 to 15 million per year, I'd be shocked if he turned that down.

-- Rumor: DeBoer signed an MOU with UW (heard this from mulitple sources), but it has since expired (there's a time limit on an MOU). I heard it was in the 9.5 to 10 million per year range, but that was before UW won the conference title and the Sugar Bowl and played for the national title. I believe, if UW is to keep him and get him to sign an extension, that he will need to get roughly 11 to 12 million and I also believe the assistant pool will have to be significant (5 million might not be enough). DeBoer takes care of his guys.

-- Thought: I just have a hard time seeing DeBoer leave UW at this juncture. His daughter is signed with UW. His family loves it here. He just bought a new house or is in the process of doign that. Obviously, all of that can change, but I just get the sense that he wants to keep his feet rooted here in in the PNW.

-- Thought: I don't believe this goes much longer. If it isn't Alabama, I don't see any other flirtations happening (at least in this coaching carousel cycle).

Are all of these “thoughts” from Eklund? Off the top of my fat head, he’s got 2 guys on staff with SEC experience in Sheridan at Tennessee and Brechterfield at Vandy. It’s Vandy but it’s still @SECDAWG territory.
  • Options
    phineasphineas Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,724
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    i dont know fuck all about UW finances but do we really, honestly see them shelling out 15 million at bare minimum, according to him, for a coach and his team?
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,183
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    phineas said:

i dont know fuck all about UW finances but do we really, honestly see them shelling out 15 million at bare minimum, according to him, for a coach and his team?

Isn’t that more than Saban got?
  • Options
    AEBAEB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,959
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

- News: Kalen DeBoer was at the facilities today and it was "business as usual" according to several sources I spoke to. [YOU ARE A FUCKING IDIOT. NO WAY IT WAS “BUSINESS AS USUAL”

- News: Have heard from several players (through acquaintances, family members, etc.) that a team meeting was led by DeBoer today and it was about wrapping up the season and also looking ahead to the start of the 2024 season (winter conditioning is considered the start of the season by the staff and players). [AWKWARD IM SURE AS HE WAS UNABLE TO ANSWER PLAYERS QUESTIONS]

-- Thought: I could be completely naive here, [TWENTY PLUS YEARS OF FUCKTARDNESS TELLS ME TO STOP READING HERE]but I just don't see a fit for Kalen DeBoer at Alabama. Could he win there? Absolutely. However, the Alabama fanbase expects top 5 recruiting classes every year (if not number one). I don't see him playing the games necessary to get to a top 5 class. Also, he's never coached in the south, none of the coaches he's coached with, to my knowledge, have ever coached in the south and they have very few contacts down there. Obviously, all of that could change, but it's definitely something to consider. Lastly, the south is a completely different animal than the midwest and west coast when it comes to football. The culture is so much different surrounding it all. At Alabama, a 9-3 record is reason to give a coach the boot. They expect you to be in the CFP every season at a minimum.

-- Thought: It's never good to be the guy who follows the legend. It's much better to be the guy who follows the guy who followed the legend. DeBoer knows this.[ORIGINAL]

-- Thought: Norvell makes much more sense for many more reasons. He's coached and recruited the south, he's won at all of his stops (just like DeBoer) and with FSU's situation with the ACC, he may be much more willing to go to Alabama than DeBoer is to leave Washington.[BAMA RECRUITS ITSELF AND MONEY IS ALL THAT MATTERS… IM ALREADY VIOLATING MY EARLIER ADMONISHMENT BY NOT READING FURTHER…I CANT GO ON]

-- Thought: I don't believe this goes much longer. If it isn't Alabama, I don't see any other flirtations happening (at least in this coaching carousel cycle).[WE AGREE. HOWEVER, I WILL CITE SABAN AS SAYING ITLL BE DONE IN 72 HOURS]

• Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Well if he wasn’t going before he 100% is going to be at Bama now!
  • Options
    Geevis_and_ButtheadGeevis_and_Butthead Member Posts: 986
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

Just give him Hopkins’ salary too.

Cool Jen fact: Mr. Pushup's $3M salary is fully guaranteed for the 2024-25 season!

• Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,476
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Doomed. 81% gone
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    DeBoer signed an MOU with UW (heard this from mulitple sources), but it has since expired (there's a time limit on an MOU).

If the MOU expired there’s no reason to tardsplain that it had a time limit.
  • Options
    RTDRTD Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 784
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment First Anniversary
    Founders Club

Doomed. 81% gone

Is Odeon your source? @brianfantana

• Options
    rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,022
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    it’s going to be norvell.
  • Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Doesn't ever mean anything
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,922
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

it’s going to be norvell.

Makes more sense, right?
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,143
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    edited January 12