Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Leveling up the fanbase

The on the field stuff has been beaten to death. We? need better depth along the defensive line, more speed at linebacker, more RB depth, blah blah.

Being at the game, UW has a lot of ground to make up with regards to the fan traditions of the blue blood B1G schools. I hate saying that the day after the game because the UW fans were loud and proud, but that's the first big game I've attended against a blue blood and it was a different environment. Not sure how the AD can grow that stuff when they run corporate ads and blast music during timeouts instead of letting the band play. Road games next few years are going to be wild for those who can go to them.

Comments

• LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,788
    edited January 9
    Thought same

UW’s effort resulting in the fans and team sleeping by using Purple Reign to drum up excitement
  • HuskyBuckHuskyBuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,762 Swaye's Wigwam

The on the field stuff has been beaten to death. We? need better depth along the defensive line, more speed at linebacker, more RB depth, blah blah.

Being at the game, UW has a lot of ground to make up with regards to the fan traditions of the blue blood B1G schools. I hate saying that the day after the game because the UW fans were loud and proud, but that's the first big game I've attended against a blue blood and it was a different environment. Not sure how the AD can grow that stuff when they run corporate ads and blast music during timeouts instead of letting the band play. Road games next few years are going to be wild for those who can go to them.

Yup, Texas was the same thing.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,046 Standard Supporter
    LawDawg1 said:

Thought same

UW’s effort resulting in the fans and team sleeping by using Purple Reign to drum up excitement

Purple reign should not ever be played unless it is a victory celebration. Why is this so hard to understand for ppl.

Been to various environments. Uw crowds usually understand defense and situations better than most. Kick offs are as cool as anything anyone else does. Other than that you're right. The band and crowd could do a better job of being in sync for some stuff.
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,580 Swaye's Wigwam

LawDawg1 said:

Thought same

Purple reign should not ever be played unless it is a victory celebration. Why is this so hard to understand for ppl.

Been to various environments. Uw crowds usually understand defense and situations better than most. Kick offs are as cool as anything anyone else does. Other than that you're right. The band and crowd could do a better job of being in sync for some stuff.
    UW has the best kickoff and it isnt close
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,002
    Honest question: for what? To feel more like you? we? belong to some kind of neat club?

Let me ask this another way: if the team ran the table and won the natty next year and there was no change in fan support, would you care? If you were at the game with 300 fans while Washington bent over Alabama in a sea of crimson would you enjoy the game any less?

You know where I'm going: Miami won 5 natties and were within a hair of at least two more while playing in a leased rust bucket of stadium in a bad location with fans who would show up for big name and consequential games only. Their fans also don't travel very well, and never did.

So I assume you're not saying that UW fans need to "step it up" to win the natty. Because I don't believe that to be the case.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,046 Standard Supporter

Honest question: for what? To feel more like you? we? belong to some kind of neat club?

Let me ask this another way: if the team ran the table and won the natty next year and there was no change in fan support, would you care? If you were at the game with 300 fans while Washington bent over Alabama in a sea of crimson would you enjoy the game any less?

You know where I'm going: Miami won 5 natties and were within a hair of at least two more while playing in a leased rust bucket of stadium in a bad location with fans who would show up for big name and consequential games only. Their fans also don't travel very well, and never did.

So I assume you're not saying that UW fans need to "step it up" to win the natty. Because I don't believe that to be the case.

The fans need to pay players more and that's it. That is their biggest contribution at this point.

The fans need to pay players more and that's it. That is their biggest contribution at this point.
    Maybe we? need boosters to level up.
  • TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,824 Swaye's Wigwam
    Seems like UW used to have a lot of “traditions” on game day that went the way of the mobile device and millennial incursion.
    edited January 9
    Canadawg said:

That's literally why people follow college football instead of the NFL. If we're bashing pageantry and traditions I'm actually out
    And yet, for reasons I don't really appreciate, the NFL dominates over cfb. You may not be saying that it isn't; your comment was a little ambiguous on that point.

In my travels, there are segments of some fan bases that really consume that part of it that you call "pageantry and traditions", and others that don't, and yet still things change anyway. Don't get me wrong. I don't hate tradition, but I certainly don't eat and breath it the way a lot of people do around here. I don't hate all things past ... if it were up to me, I'd go back to the traditional bowls and vote system because it was more interesting. But here we are anyway with NIL and the rest of it.

So, how do you connect "stepping up the fanbase" and the club to which some want to be initiated and pageantry and tradition? Does that mean that because Michigan's fan base is perceived as being, what, more fanatic, that they have better tradition and pageantry?

• CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,412 Swaye's Wigwam

Canadawg said:

That's literally why people follow college football instead of the NFL. If we're bashing pageantry and traditions I'm actually out
    And yet, for reasons I don't really appreciate, the NFL dominates over cfb. You may not be saying that it isn't; your comment was a little ambiguous on that point.

In my travels, there are segments of some fan bases that really consume that part of it that you call "pageantry and traditions", and others that don't, and yet still things change anyway. Don't get me wrong. I don't hate tradition, but I certainly don't eat and breath it the way a lot of people do around here. I don't hate all things past ... if it were up to me, I'd go back to the traditional bowls and vote system because it was more interesting. But here we are anyway with NIL and the rest of it.

So, how do you connect "stepping up the fanbase" and the club to which some want to be initiated and pageantry and tradition? Does that mean that because Michigan's fan base is perceived as being, what, more fanatic, that they have better tradition and pageantry?

Well I'm not gonna write a book but trying to beat Michigan by running the ball was never UWs path to victory. You with me? If you want a good product then doing the exact same thing as another league but worse is not going to do it. CFB needs to be erratic, crazy and mysterious or you become the G league.
  • LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member Posts: 13,311
    We should claim David grohl’s foo fighters stat
  • LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,788
    edited January 10
    ntxduck said:

LawDawg1 said:

Thought same

The purple reign shit Is so weird. Not even close to a pump-up song. From Minnesota, not Washington. Purple haze is right there, too, and from a Seattle artist. Send me my check @ramming
    Agree. But what does Mr Brightside got to do with Michigan? Or Shout for Oregon?
  • no_uhno_uh Member Posts: 762
    One thing that I thought was kind of funny was that the dj played who let the dogs out (just the fun part), and the UW fans embraced it. Why isn't that a thing? Purple reign is stupid, bring back purple haze.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,214

Has nothing to do with winning. I'm talking about a representation of the level of fan engagement. I don't want a shitty Miami fan base that only shows up during Natty runs. The AD needs to create more of a culture where people show up win or lose. Might not be possible in an urban city, but that's my point.

Totally agree with an above poster who said that there's a lost generation, too.
  • DoogmanRefundDoogmanRefund Member Posts: 810
    ntxduck said:

LawDawg1 said:

Thought same

The purple reign shit Is so weird. Not even close to a pump-up song. From Minnesota, not Washington. Purple haze is right there, too, and from a Seattle artist. Send me my check @ramming
    Don’t know if it applies in this case, but Jimi’s family is really weird about his legacy. There hasn’t been a decent biopic made about him because his sister won’t allow any of his originals in a movie.
  • AEBAEB Member Posts: 2,971
    LawDawg1 said:

ntxduck said:

LawDawg1 said:

Thought same

Agree. But what does Mr Brightside got to do with Michigan? Or Shout for Oregon?
    I think this is linked to Animal House which was filmed there. So there’s some connection.
  • flatusflatus Member Posts: 935
    LawDawg1 said:

ntxduck said:

LawDawg1 said:

Thought same

Shout = Animal House = Faber College = U of O