Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Recruiting Complex

RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,406
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam
Nothing really new but a nice synopsis.

https://si.com/college/2024/01/07/michigan-wolverines-and-washington-huskies-success-defies-recruiting-logic

Confidence was high enough that Grubb contemplated making the national championship the stated goal for his unit before the season. He had an idea— start every Sunday meeting with a projection slide of the CFP trophy and a countdown of the number of days until Monday, Jan. 8, the day of the title game. Grubb ran the idea past Petersen, the former Washington coach, who raised a concern—if the Huskies lose, they have to change the message.

Grubb thought about it and made his decision.

“Screw it, we’re going for it,” he said, opting to use the countdown. “Like fourth-and-1 in the Apple Cup, right?”

That was the final part of taking good to great at Washington. They had talented players who had developed and improved.

lol

Comments

• Options
    coach_pete_JPGcoach_pete_JPG Member Posts: 1,203
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,171
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,171
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    edited January 7
    Doogles said:

I love Petersen, but that says it all.

Saint Peter was a bit too rational for his own good sometimes, bless his soul.
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,253
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    There is an article in the Athletic about Deboer and his humility and poise. Pete dropped in that he could feel himself changing as he went along...when he started, he was all about rolling the dice, and he lost that mentality here, becoming "Play-not-to-lose Pete".

Tims have changed, and if I went from being a pig farmer living in a car port, to making $2MM a year, I would be letting it fly as well, but Pete has a pooont. Oregon, coaches and players, talked Natty all year. SC, the same. Putting all the eggs in the basket early can be fatal. Two teams, talking Natty or bust (not unrealistic), had their seasons blow up spectacularly (especially SC) because they had no response to it, i.e., busted, TSWO.

I've seen a lot of "1-0" references, and that is the way to go, for me. Be undefeated TODAY, and be present where your feet are. Something I stole from somewhere, a long tim ago..."We don't have to be the best team in the league today, or the state, or the country. Today, the goal is to be the best team on the field". "We" have been the best team on the field 14 times this season...here's to one more "1-0"...
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,571
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Doogles said:

I love Petersen, but that says it all.

Peterlips is the batter who bunted to get on base as the tying run, while DeBoner gets to the plate and homers it
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,515
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

Fishpo31 said:

There is an article in the Athletic about Deboer and his humility and poise. Pete dropped in that he could feel himself changing as he went along...when he started, he was all about rolling the dice, and he lost that mentality here, becoming "Play-not-to-lose Pete".

Tims have changed, and if I went from being a pig farmer living in a car port, to making $2MM a year, I would be letting it fly as well, but Pete has a pooont. Oregon, coaches and players, talked Natty all year. SC, the same. Putting all the eggs in the basket early can be fatal. Two teams, talking Natty or bust (not unrealistic), had their seasons blow up spectacularly (especially SC) because they had no response to it, i.e., busted, TSWO.

I've seen a lot of "1-0" references, and that is the way to go, for me. Be undefeated TODAY, and be present where your feet are. Something I stole from somewhere, a long tim ago..."We don't have to be the best team in the league today, or the state, or the country. Today, the goal is to be the best team on the field". "We" have been the best team on the field 14 times this season...here's to one more "1-0"...

Disagree on Oregon. They killed everyone after losing because the had the CCG ahead and a path to the playoffs

UW knocked USC out of everything.
    Usc already had 2 losses before the UW game
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,985
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    It's a risky move and it worked. Wouldn't do it every year. Sometimes you gotta go all in.