Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Some Numbers and Observations

2»

Comments

• Options
    Disciple_2_HoleDisciple_2_Hole Member Posts: 122
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Testing 1
    edited September 2014

TTJ said:

Great work. Thanks for putting this together. Selective memories are expected at dm.c. Here? Not so much.

I firmly believe Miles can be a proficient, successful QB in a run-first offense. But on the (hopefully rare) occasion when the running game gets completely shut down, things will get ugly.

Youngsters should ask Grandpa Race about the '84 Oregon game.

Miley >>>>> MIllen
    Question for Gramps (ILTCHGIWILTD)?

It's been 30 years but we lost one game to SC in 84 and won the Orange Bowl right? I don't remember oregon back then but I do remember getting screwed when BYwho won the natty. Yes I'm still angry, FYFMFE
    James finally benched Millen before the USC game and we lost a very frustrating game. Millen came off the bench in the Orange Bowl to lead the Huskies to a comeback win

Millen was unbeaten in 84 despite being horrible. Special teams and defense. UW had like three first downs against Oregon and won on a punt return
    Millen was the weakest link on the team. Purple Reign Defense, Jacque Robinson, Ron, Jackson, Mo Hill.

If Millen hadn't of been a C- QB, they would have won the National Championship...no doubt in my mind.
    We still got fucked not winning, all the talk prior to the Orange Bowl was OU wins the NC if they win and the polls gave the NC to Boise Fucking State aka BYfuckingU. Total BS and I have hated those boofs since. Don't even get me started...FUCK

Oh and the 84 Michigan team BYU beat sucked, I'm guessing Hoke was on the team. BYU beat nobody and the purple reign curbs stomps that WAC ala big sky team. Fuck

I need a walk now or find 7/11
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,610
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

TTJ said:

Great work. Thanks for putting this together. Selective memories are expected at dm.c. Here? Not so much.

I firmly believe Miles can be a proficient, successful QB in a run-first offense. But on the (hopefully rare) occasion when the running game gets completely shut down, things will get ugly.

Miley >>>>> MIllen

It's been 30 years but we lost one game to SC in 84 and won the Orange Bowl right? I don't remember oregon back then but I do remember getting screwed when BYwho won the natty. Yes I'm still angry, FYFMFE
    James finally benched Millen before the USC game and we lost a very frustrating game. Millen came off the bench in the Orange Bowl to lead the Huskies to a comeback win

Millen was unbeaten in 84 despite being horrible. Special teams and defense. UW had like three first downs against Oregon and won on a punt return
    Millen was the weakest link on the team. Purple Reign Defense, Jacque Robinson, Ron, Jackson, Mo Hill.

If Millen hadn't of been a C- QB, they would have won the National Championship...no doubt in my mind.
    We still got fucked not winning, all the talk prior to the Orange Bowl was OU wins the NC if they win and the polls gave the NC to Boise Fucking State aka BYfuckingU. Total BS and I have hated those boofs since. Don't even get me started...FUCK

Oh and the 84 Michigan team BYU beat sucked, I'm guessing Hoke was on the team. BYU beat nobody and the purple reign curbs stomps that WAC ala big sky team. Fuck

BYU really is the worst school in the nation

LOL at players getting suspended for fucking
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,728
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

TTJ said:

Miley >>>>> MIllen

UW beat that Michigan team at Michigan in 84
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,898
    Founders Club
    TTJ said:

Something to legitimately bash Hugh for...the KKK thing is tedious and a leap
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I get the attempt at the comparison and the numbers are the numbers ...

The biggest difference between Locker/Price and Miles is that while Locker/Price threw up a few stinkers, they also have a resume that shows that they can be QBs that you can win games with. Miles has yet to show that as a starter (only as a backup) and his performance now through 4 games is beginning to lead you to concluding that it's unlikely that he'll ever make the leap to being an upper half QB in the conference.

He's probably the best QB that we have on the roster right now - although if this continues I do want to see Troy Williams at least get a chance this year to see whether he is or isn't part of the solution.

From what I'm seeing right now, I would have to think that barring a significant change that there's a really good chance that you'll be seeing Carta-Samuels or Browning as the QB next year IF Williams really isn't any better than Miles or Lindquist. Miles is going to have to start showing something here shortly. Unquestionably his best game so far was against Illinois where he went 15 of 20 for 191. But if you take away the Ross 75 yard TD, you're looking at 14 of 19 for 116 (which is 6 yards per attempt with a high completion percentage).

Personally, I don't think you can win games against the upper half of the conference without the ability to at minimum push the ball down the field in an intermediate passing game. There are way too many future NFL players in the conference (particularly in the top half of it) and if you watch ANY NFL game, you'll notice that a QB that can't push the ball down the field not only has little chance to be successful, but also dooms the running game.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,898
    Founders Club
    Good pts. Road. I think what people get jittery over is the fact that Miles is really an unknown at this point. In most of the games that were referenced, Locker and Price had proven they could be competent to a point in a somewhat large sample size. We had a pretty weak big 10 team and patsies ( yes E. Washington is a really good FCS team... We still should have beaten them by at least 14 points, more like three or four touchdowns).
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

The biggest difference between Locker/Price and Miles is that while Locker/Price threw up a few stinkers, they also have a resume that shows that they can be QBs that you can win games with. Miles has yet to show that as a starter (only as a backup) and his performance now through 4 games is beginning to lead you to concluding that it's unlikely that he'll ever make the leap to being an upper half QB in the conference.

He's probably the best QB that we have on the roster right now - although if this continues I do want to see Troy Williams at least get a chance this year to see whether he is or isn't part of the solution.

From what I'm seeing right now, I would have to think that barring a significant change that there's a really good chance that you'll be seeing Carta-Samuels or Browning as the QB next year IF Williams really isn't any better than Miles or Lindquist. Miles is going to have to start showing something here shortly. Unquestionably his best game so far was against Illinois where he went 15 of 20 for 191. But if you take away the Ross 75 yard TD, you're looking at 14 of 19 for 116 (which is 6 yards per attempt with a high completion percentage).

Personally, I don't think you can win games against the upper half of the conference without the ability to at minimum push the ball down the field in an intermediate passing game. There are way too many future NFL players in the conference (particularly in the top half of it) and if you watch ANY NFL game, you'll notice that a QB that can't push the ball down the field not only has little chance to be successful, but also dooms the running game.

The problem with this thinking is this isn't the NFL. The SEC has more future NFL players than the Pac 12 and Auburn won the conference and went to the title game last year. Nick Marshall isn't a good passer. LSU went to the title game with Jarrett Lee and Jefferson at QB. There are many other example of teams with mediocre to suspect passers to prove your point wrong.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

The problem with this thinking is this isn't the NFL. The SEC has more future NFL players than the Pac 12 and Auburn won the conference and went to the title game last year. Nick Marshall isn't a good passer. LSU went to the title game with Jarrett Lee and Jefferson at QB. There are many other example of teams with mediocre to suspect passers to prove your point wrong.
    I get your point ... I really do. But you are now using examples that make me question whether or not you're understanding your point. Consider the following:

1) I'm not huge on looking at completion % because you can be checkdown Charlie Whitehurst and create a nice % for yourself without doing anything. So far this year, Marshall is averaging 7.5 yards per attempt; Miles is averaging 6.2. Last year, Marshall averaged 8.3 yards per attempt. That's a huge difference.

Moreover, the biggest problem with the analogy is that forget about their ability to throw for a second (which I do think it's fairly reasonable to say that Marshall is at least somewhat better but clearly not a dynamite downfield passer). The difference in their ability to run is night and day different. Marshall had over 1000 yards on the ground last year and averaged 6.2 yards per carry. This year he's averaging 6.5 yards per carry. Miles is averaging 2.7 yards per carry. Marshall's a threat to take it to the house everytime he runs. Miles' long is 19 this year.

At this point, do you see teams dramatically concerned about Miles' ability as a runner to the point that they are dedicating extra resources to stop him from running? Because I can promise you that watching an Auburn game you can definitely see that.

2) It's easy to take shots at Lee and Jefferson and I'd definitely concede that they weren't high caliber college QBs. But they were serviceable. Lee 62% of his passes at 7.8 yards per attempt in 2011. Jefferson at 61% and 7.4 yards per attempt. Both dramatically better than what we are seeing from Miles right now.

But the biggest difference between Lee/Jefferson and Miles is the fact that the surrounding talent around those guys helped to make them elite. If you put an average player around great talent, you have the ability to get better results out of them. If you put an average player with average talent, you aren't going to get much. And make no mistake, the talent on the 2014 Huskies isn't that of 2011 LSU. However, we have seen time and time again the impact that a truly great player can have on the team around him - particularly at the QB position.

The problem you have to look at is whether or not Miles is a great QB or even has the ability to get to that level? Because let's face it, the talent at Washington isn't going to magically get to that elite level in the next 2, 4, or 6 weeks.

There are a lot of red flags with Miles that indicate to me that his odds of being an above average QB at the UW are decreasing by the start. Yes, the players around him need to be better. But at the same time, the question that you need to be asking is whether Miles is the solution at the position instead of pointing to others and saying that he's not part of the problem.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,610
    Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

I get your point ... I really do. But you are now using examples that make me question whether or not you're understanding your point. Consider the following:

1) I'm not huge on looking at completion % because you can be checkdown Charlie Whitehurst and create a nice % for yourself without doing anything. So far this year, Marshall is averaging 7.5 yards per attempt; Miles is averaging 6.2. Last year, Marshall averaged 8.3 yards per attempt. That's a huge difference.

Moreover, the biggest problem with the analogy is that forget about their ability to throw for a second (which I do think it's fairly reasonable to say that Marshall is at least somewhat better but clearly not a dynamite downfield passer). The difference in their ability to run is night and day different. Marshall had over 1000 yards on the ground last year and averaged 6.2 yards per carry. This year he's averaging 6.5 yards per carry. Miles is averaging 2.7 yards per carry. Marshall's a threat to take it to the house everytime he runs. Miles' long is 19 this year.

At this point, do you see teams dramatically concerned about Miles' ability as a runner to the point that they are dedicating extra resources to stop him from running? Because I can promise you that watching an Auburn game you can definitely see that.

2) It's easy to take shots at Lee and Jefferson and I'd definitely concede that they weren't high caliber college QBs. But they were serviceable. Lee 62% of his passes at 7.8 yards per attempt in 2011. Jefferson at 61% and 7.4 yards per attempt. Both dramatically better than what we are seeing from Miles right now.

But the biggest difference between Lee/Jefferson and Miles is the fact that the surrounding talent around those guys helped to make them elite. If you put an average player around great talent, you have the ability to get better results out of them. If you put an average player with average talent, you aren't going to get much. And make no mistake, the talent on the 2014 Huskies isn't that of 2011 LSU. However, we have seen time and time again the impact that a truly great player can have on the team around him - particularly at the QB position.

The problem you have to look at is whether or not Miles is a great QB or even has the ability to get to that level? Because let's face it, the talent at Washington isn't going to magically get to that elite level in the next 2, 4, or 6 weeks.

There are a lot of red flags with Miles that indicate to me that his odds of being an above average QB at the UW are decreasing by the start. Yes, the players around him need to be better. But at the same time, the question that you need to be asking is whether Miles is the solution at the position instead of pointing to others and saying that he's not part of the problem.
    Proverbs 1

Proverbs 1 New International Version (NIV)

Purpose and Theme
    1 The proverbs of Solomon son of David, king of Israel:

2 for gaining wisdom and instruction;
    for understanding words of insight;
    3 for receiving instruction in prudent behavior,
    doing what is right and just and fair;
    4 for giving prudence to those who are simple,[a]
    knowledge and discretion to the young—
    5 let the wise listen and add to their learning,
    and let the discerning get guidance—
    6 for understanding proverbs and parables,
    the sayings and riddles of the wise.[b]
    7 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge,
    but fools[c] despise wisdom and instruction.
    Prologue: Exhortations to Embrace Wisdom
    Warning Against the Invitation of Sinful Men
    8 Listen, my son, to your father’s instruction
    and do not forsake your mother’s teaching.
    9 They are a garland to grace your head
    and a chain to adorn your neck.
    10 My son, if sinful men entice you,
    do not give in to them.
    11 If they say, “Come along with us;
    let’s lie in wait for innocent blood,
    let’s ambush some harmless soul;
    12 let’s swallow them alive, like the grave,
    and whole, like those who go down to the pit;
    13 we will get all sorts of valuable things
    and fill our houses with plunder;
    14 cast lots with us;
    we will all share the loot”—
    15 my son, do not go along with them,
    do not set foot on their paths;
    16 for their feet rush into evil,
    they are swift to shed blood.
    17 How useless to spread a net
    where every bird can see it!
    18 These men lie in wait for their own blood;
    they ambush only themselves!
    19 Such are the paths of all who go after ill-gotten gain;
    it takes away the life of those who get it.
    Wisdom’s Rebuke
    20 Out in the open wisdom calls aloud,
    she raises her voice in the public square;
    21 on top of the wall[d] she cries out,
    at the city gate she makes her speech:
    22 “How long will you who are simple love your simple ways?
    How long will mockers delight in mockery
    and fools hate knowledge?
    23 Repent at my rebuke!
    Then I will pour out my thoughts to you,
    I will make known to you my teachings.
    24 But since you refuse to listen when I call
    and no one pays attention when I stretch out my hand,
    25 since you disregard all my advice
    and do not accept my rebuke,
    26 I in turn will laugh when disaster strikes you;
    I will mock when calamity overtakes you—
    27 when calamity overtakes you like a storm,
    when disaster sweeps over you like a whirlwind,
    when distress and trouble overwhelm you.
    28 “Then they will call to me but I will not answer;
    they will look for me but will not find me,
    29 since they hated knowledge
    and did not choose to fear the Lord.
    30 Since they would not accept my advice
    and spurned my rebuke,
    31 they will eat the fruit of their ways
    and be filled with the fruit of their schemes.
    32 For the waywardness of the simple will kill them,
    and the complacency of fools will destroy them;
    33 but whoever listens to me will live in safety
    and be at ease, without fear of harm.”
    Footnotes:

Proverbs 1:4 The Hebrew word rendered simple in Proverbs denotes a person who is gullible, without moral direction and inclined to evil.
    Proverbs 1:6 Or understanding a proverb, namely, a parable, / and the sayings of the wise, their riddles
    Proverbs 1:7 The Hebrew words rendered fool in Proverbs, and often elsewhere in the Old Testament, denote a person who is morally deficient.
    Proverbs 1:21 Septuagint; Hebrew / at noisy street corners
    New International Version (NIV)
    Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2014
    @Tequilla- You are all over the place. I agree that a great QB makes a huge difference. The thing is, I never expected Miles to be great. I expected him to be better than he has played, but the formula has always been for this team to run the ball, win the turnover battle, and play solid defense. He's a game manager with running ability. He's not a blazing fast guy, but he's a big guy who is good in short yardage situations and can hurt you a little bit with his legs.

I don't think you are getting the point. This is a run dominant team that until the Stanford game had been running the ball pretty well. We shouldn't be relying on Miles to beat a tough opponent like Stanford. That is what happened and the results were probably what should have been expected. As I originally noted, Locker and Price had some terrible games too, and that was with supporting casts (at least at the skill positions) that were better than what Miles currently has.

I don't think anybody on this board besides you expected a championship. So, Miles isn't a championship QB, at least with the talent we have around him. That QB isn't going to magically appear. He still might be good enough to win 10+ games.

Here is some Pac 12 relevancy. Kevin Hogan from last year. Hogan played with a very good OL, had a strong running game, and good defense. Montgomery (certainly) and Cajuste are probably better than any WR we have as well. None of these three defenses are/were as good as Stanford's is. It should prove that there are more ways to win football games than to have a great QB slinging the ball around.

Wash: 12-20, 100 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT (W 31-28)
    @OSU: 8-18, 88 yards , 0 TD, 0 INT (W 20-12)
    Ore: 7-13, 103 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT (W 26-20)

Miles needs to play better, but it's way too early to write him off because he played poorly against a very good defense. We still could have won the game, even with the inept offense.
  • Options
    Homebrew_DawgHomebrew_Dawg Member Posts: 1,648
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    edited September 2014
    "Par the course." Can we just be the fuck done with golf anal-ogies?
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,728
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Thats out of bounds
  • Options
    Homebrew_DawgHomebrew_Dawg Member Posts: 1,648
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

Thats out of bounds
    Experience, eh?
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    For the 1984 whiners: Win your own conference then pop off.
  • Options
    VegasdawgVegasdawg Member Posts: 370
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    How many times have you read this comment--"it all starts up front with the big boys" or something similar? What we are witnessing is what we have been saying for several years now, missing on those signing days for good linemen was going to hurt us for years down the line. When people were making excuses for Sark on signing day the rest of us were forecasting this day in the future. When all those misses resulted in fuzzy chinned freshman starting on the line, we said the same thing, some of these kids will be hurt and have their careers shortened. OK, sorry for the rehashing but there was a reason in the past why our line today sucks.

Locker was not a good passer, he couldn't hit the broad side of the barn. And bad passers remain so in the vast majority of cases. Miles is a noodle armed bad passer. His audition is over yet we are probably stuck with him until spring ball. I doubt Peterman will go with a QB next season who has a noodle arm, in fact I think we may see Williams or a return of Lindquist at Cal.

I don't think there is much more we can hash out about this situation, the majority of us thought this was the year, we just didn't realize how little Sark had left Peterman to work with.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,528
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    I like Lavon Coleman a lot. He's not a HR hitter but use Mickens and Ross on fly sweeps or quick screens if defenses pinch the middle b/c they're not worried about getting hurt on the edges.

Jomon Dotson is supposed to be fast and he'll be available next year. Myles Gaskin is supposed to be very good and both those guys could be the lightning to Coleman's thunder.

Coleman will do his fair share of pounding against Cal and you'll like him for it!