Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Some Numbers and Observations

RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
edited September 2014 in Hardcore Husky Board
Jake Locker in 2010:

Nebraska: 4-20, 71 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT (one pick 6). Team Rushing: 39 for 175, 4.5, 2 TD
Stanford: 7-14, 64 yards, 0 TD, 2 INT. Team Rushing: 25 for 19, 0.8, 0 TD- The worst offensive showing post 2008 I have witnessed.
UCLA: 10-21, 68 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT. Team Rushing: 41 for 253, 6.2, 2 TD
Nebraska: 5-16, 56 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT. Team Rushing: 52 for 268, 5.2, 2 TD

Keith Price in 2011:

Oregon: 24-35, 143 yards, 2 TD, 2 INT. Team Rushing: 36 for 82, 2.3, 0 TD

2012:

Stanford: 19-37, 177 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT (pick 6). Team Rushing: 34 for 136, 4.0, 1 TD
Oregon: 19-31, 145 yards, 0 TD, 2 INT (1 pick 6). Team Rushing: 46 for 208, 4.5, 3 TD

Cyler Miles 2014:

Stanford: 15-29, 98 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT. Team Rushing: 38 for 81, 2.3, 0 TD

MILES SUCKED. Some of the statements being thrown out about that being the worst QB play since Paus and Fouch are huge overreactions. For one, he didn't lose the game by turning the ball over. That's about the only good thing you can say about his performance, but as bad as the offense was, there was an opportunity to win the game. Ross' kickoff return, the missed extra point, and the fake punt were all huge plays and each could have made a huge difference in the outcome.

What we got from him was basically par the course of what we have gotten out of QB's against very good to great defenses. It speaks volumes about the program and where it has been. Locker had 4 games his senior season that were worse than Miles against Stanford. Price had some shitty games too, and they happened to be against the stiffest (lol) competition. Both were better than Miles (at least so far), but Bishop Sankey and Chris Polk help a QB out a lot more than Coleman and Dwayne Washington. The Stanford game really shouldn't have told us anything we didn't already know. Miles isn't good enough to win without a strong running game. We need to run well in order to be effective on offense. Miles is not beating you by himself.

I have also read posts stating that Miles' inability to pass was why we couldn't run. There might be a tiny but of truth to that. Obviously throwing the ball well should help open running lanes, but there are lots of teams that can't pass, but still run the ball well. Have you ever watched Wisconsin? They haven't had a QB since Russell Wilson and yet they still run it great every year. Look at some of Locker's games. We couldn't pass at all in some of those, but Polk still had big games. Same with Price and Sankey. Good teams still find a way to get yards even when the other team stacks the box. It is inexcusable to be that bad running the ball with a veteran OL. I'm not completely against a change at QB, especially if we muck it up against Cal, but it's a lazy blanket statement to say Miles was the problem. He was a problem, not the problem.

Comments

• Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Thanks for going all scholarly. That's an entire Alki stroll worth of perspective.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I see that Jake never attempted more than 21 passes in any of those game, which is a number to shoot for with Miles. 29-30 throws is way too much right now.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper

Is that 10in10 Heisman website still up?

sa.linkedin.com/pub/jack-josef-wyss-lockner/3b/37a/3a7 Axe him yourself.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Someone has an agenda.
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Great work. Thanks for putting this together. Selective memories are expected at dm.c. Here? Not so much.

I firmly believe Miles can be a proficient, successful QB in a run-first offense. But on the (hopefully rare) occasion when the running game gets completely shut down, things will get ugly.

Youngsters should ask Grandpa Race about the '84 Oregon game.
  • Options
    fivehundredmileDAWGfivehundredmileDAWG Member Posts: 1,210
    Name Dropper 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

Jake Locker in 2010:

Nebraska: 4-20, 71 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT (one pick 6). Team Rushing: 39 for 175, 4.5, 2 TD
    Stanford: 7-14, 64 yards, 0 TD, 2 INT. Team Rushing: 25 for 19, 0.8, 0 TD- The worst offensive showing post 2008 I have witnessed.
    UCLA: 10-21, 68 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT. Team Rushing: 41 for 253, 6.2, 2 TD
    Nebraska: 5-16, 56 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT. Team Rushing: 52 for 268, 5.2, 2 TD

Keith Price in 2011:

Oregon: 24-35, 143 yards, 2 TD, 2 INT. Team Rushing: 36 for 82, 2.3, 0 TD

2012:

Stanford: 19-37, 177 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT (pick 6). Team Rushing: 34 for 136, 4.0, 1 TD
    Oregon: 19-31, 145 yards, 0 TD, 2 INT (1 pick 6). Team Rushing: 46 for 208, 4.5, 3 TD

Cyler Miles 2014:

Stanford: 15-29, 98 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT. Team Rushing: 38 for 81, 2.3, 0 TD

MILES SUCKED. Some of the statements being thrown out about that being the worst QB play since Paus and Fouch are huge overreactions. For one, he didn't lose the game by turning the ball over. That's about the only good thing you can say about his performance, but as bad as the offense was, there was an opportunity to win the game. Ross' kickoff return, the missed extra point, and the fake punt were all huge plays and each could have made a huge difference in the outcome.

What we got from him was basically par the course of what we have gotten out of QB's against very good to great defenses. It speaks volumes about the program and where it has been. Locker had 4 games his senior season that were worse than Miles against Stanford. Price had some shitty games too, and they happened to be against the stiffest (lol) competition. Both were better than Miles (at least so far), but Bishop Sankey and Chris Polk help a QB out a lot more than Coleman and Dwayne Washington. The Stanford game really shouldn't have told us anything we didn't already know. Miles isn't good enough to win without a strong running game. We need to run well in order to be effective on offense. Miles is not beating you by himself.

I have also read posts stating that Miles' inability to pass was why we couldn't run. There might be a tiny but of truth to that. Obviously throwing the ball well should help open running lanes, but there are lots of teams that can't pass, but still run the ball well. Have you ever watched Wisconsin? They haven't had a QB since Russell Wilson and yet they still run it great every year. Look at some of Locker's games. We couldn't pass at all in some of those, but Polk still had big games. Same with Price and Sankey. Good teams still find a way to get yards even when the other team stacks the box. It is inexcusable to be that bad running the ball with a veteran OL. I'm not completely against a change at QB, especially if we muck it up against Cal, but it's a lazy blanket statement to say Miles was the problem. He was a problem, not the problem.

Fucking agree
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    TTJ said:

Great work. Thanks for putting this together. Selective memories are expected at dm.c. Here? Not so much.

I firmly believe Miles can be a proficient, successful QB in a run-first offense. But on the (hopefully rare) occasion when the running game gets completely shut down, things will get ugly.

I agree...the issue is the Oline is still shitty and two of the best running backs in husky history are gone. Polk and Sankey where able to make plays despite the Oline, they were that good. Coleman and Washington types are on every team in the conference. They are average. To think that UW will come out and establish a consistent running game, taking the pressure off Miles and allowing him to be effective is certainly not a given.

• Options
    Disciple_2_HoleDisciple_2_Hole Member Posts: 122
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Testing 1

TTJ said:

Miley >>>>> MIllen
    Question for Gramps (ILTCHGIWILTD)?

It's been 30 years but we lost one game to SC in 84 and won the Orange Bowl right? I don't remember oregon back then but I do remember getting screwed when BYwho won the natty. Yes I'm still angry, FYFMFE
  • Options
    Purple_PillsPurple_Pills Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,821
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

TL, did R

Miles didn't see wide open receivers on a number of occasions. That's what frustrated me about his performance.
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    what concerned me about Miles that I didn't see with Locker or Price was the tendency to lose 10+ yards on sacks with such frequency...maybe it was the $4 wine clouding my vision, but I saw Miles marching us backwards far too often.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,728
    Swaye's Wigwam

TTJ said:

Miley >>>>> MIllen

It's been 30 years but we lost one game to SC in 84 and won the Orange Bowl right? I don't remember oregon back then but I do remember getting screwed when BYwho won the natty. Yes I'm still angry, FYFMFE
    James finally benched Millen before the USC game and we lost a very frustrating game. Millen came off the bench in the Orange Bowl to lead the Huskies to a comeback win

Millen was unbeaten in 84 despite being horrible. Special teams and defense. UW had like three first downs against Oregon and won on a punt return
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,728
    Swaye's Wigwam
    James would gamble when he had he lesser team and would lose some of them. Nobody hits them all. I agree that it seems like Petermen panicked and lost faith in his team. Not that they deserved a lot of faith.

I was shocked. Seems like everyone but Stanford was surprised.

But people forget that we would have fired Don James numerous times in his career
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam

TTJ said:

Miley >>>>> MIllen

James finally benched Millen before the USC game and we lost a very frustrating game. Millen came off the bench in the Orange Bowl to lead the Huskies to a comeback win

Millen was unbeaten in 84 despite being horrible. Special teams and defense. UW had like three first downs against Oregon and won on a punt return
    Millen was the weakest link on the team. Purple Reign Defense, Jacque Robinson, Ron, Jackson, Mo Hill.

If Millen hadn't of been a C- QB, they would have won the National Championship...no doubt in my mind.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Meek said:

what concerned me about Miles that I didn't see with Locker or Price was the tendency to lose 10+ yards on sacks with such frequency...maybe it was the $4 wine clouding my vision, but I saw Miles marching us backwards far too often.

Agree. He bailed and ran left or right too many times. He needs to step up in the pocket or take off and try to get a couple yards up field. There were too many plays where he took any threat of positive yardage out by running perpendicular to the sideline. Price was not typically good against pressure either. His pocket presence was his weakness. He took off right and threw it in the stands all the time.
  • Options
    Disciple_2_HoleDisciple_2_Hole Member Posts: 122
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Testing 1
    Story time with Race is my new favorite segment on the bored, I had a severe case of the crud in the fall of 84. A guy I played HS ball with was a RF OL on the team and I become a true daWg fan watching the 85 0B. At 18 (fall 84), attempting to race pro motocross my back up plan was UW and I can thank James for my desire to attend UW.