Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The Boys of '36 PBS documentary - now on YouTube

This was only available in full before if you donated to PBS but looks like PBS is getting on TBITB Free Pub train and making it available to everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwSo9fOVTjc

Comments

• Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Watched it last night, good chit
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,802
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Query for my crew guysm.

How does it work that Don Hume is the one who effectively sets the pace? I know the coxswain yelling at all of them, and they are all working together to a large degree, but how does that single position cause, or mean so much for, the pace of the stroke?

@YellowSnow @whlinder

TIA
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,908
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited December 2023
    pawz said:

Query for my crew guysm.

How does it work that Don Hume is the one who effectively sets the pace? I know the coxswain yelling at all of them, and they are all working together to a large degree, but how does that single position cause, or mean so much for, the pace of the stroke?

@YellowSnow @whlinder

TIA

The stroke seat sets the pace and is often the most technically proficient rower. He's the guy everyone behind wants to copy to perfection so that they act as one. The guys behind in the middle are often a little stronger/bigger - aka the engine house - and then @whlinder or @YellowSnow should explain the person on the far back end. I've never known the strategy there. All in all, it's a subtle series of combinations that the coach gets to by a lot of trial and error to place people. Some people are stronger/faster, some are better on port and others starboard and some are equally good at both, and the geometry and style of the entire stroke movement is often better between some pairs vs. others. The coach is important in this sport. Any monkey can grab the 8 fastest 2K erg times and throw them in a shell. But the coach not only trains the living shit out them beyond what they could do on their own, but also finds that elusive perfect combination of placement all in an effort to just make the fucking thing go faster. All that shit starts with stroke seat.

Btw, the magic of the '36 boat is not only all the tuff liberal logger shit, but also having found that perfect combo of guys lined up expressly as they were. I've heard Moch talk about the big race and Hume being out of it, and hence the rest of the boat being out of it. Him coming out of his stuper and jamming it down the last whatever meters is a demonstration of the importance of the stroke seat.

Or I might have made all that up. I'm not sure.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,802
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

pawz said:

Query for my crew guysm.

@YellowSnow @whlinder

TIA

The stroke seat sets the pace and is often the most technically proficient rower. He's the guy everyone behind wants to copy to perfection so that they act as one. The guys behind in the middle are often a little stronger/bigger - aka the engine house - and then @whlinder or @YellowSnow should explain the person on the far back end. I've never known the strategy there. All in all, it's a subtle series of combinations that the coach gets to by a lot of trial and error to place people. Some people are stronger/faster, some are better on port and others starboard and some are equally good at both, and the geometry and style of the entire stroke movement is often better between some pairs vs. others. The coach is important in this sport. Any monkey can grab the 8 fastest 2K erg times and throw them in a shell. But the coach not only trains the living shit out them beyond what they could do on their own, but also finds that elusive perfect combination of placement all in an effort to just make the fucking thing go faster. All that shit starts with stroke seat.

Btw, the magic of the '36 boat is not only all the tuff liberal logger shit, but also having found that perfect combo of guys lined up expressly as they were. I've heard Moch talk about the big race and Hume being out of it, and hence the rest of the boat being out of it. Him coming out of his stuper and jamming it down the last whatever meters is a demonstration of the importance of the stroke seat.

Or I might have made all that up. I'm not sure.
    What @creepycoug said.

The most technically sounds guysm go in stroke, 7 and then 2 and bow. Bow needs to be especially good at balance because he has the most affect on how the boat sets up- ie not tipping from one side to another. The big mother fuckers like Yella go in the engine room which is 6, 5, 4 and 3 seats.

Stroke is your point gaurd and bow your shooting guard. Engine room is power forward and center.
    TYFYS