Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

UW vs Texas team stats of note

BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,554
First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
https://texassports.com/sports/football/stats/2023
https://gohuskies.com/sports/football/stats

A few things that caught my eye.
  1. Texas is not good at converting on third down at only 38% on the year, but their third down defense is very good giving up only 26% on the year.
  2. Texas' pass rash is really overrated. Two or three sacks a game, not a big deal, and UW gives up less than one per game. Not super worried about that.
  3. Neither team creates a ton of turnovers, but Texas has recovered five more fumbles.
  4. UW's special teams coverage units are better than Texas. Kinda wondering if we don't stick Rome back there on punts to have a shot at breaking a big one.
  5. Texas has had to kick a lot of field goals this year. Twice as many attempts as UW. This probably is a reflection of their lousy 3rd down offense and might play into UW's bend but don't break defense, especially in the second half.
  6. UW opponents have committed 50% more penalties against us than have Texas' opponents versus them. Could just be differences in conference officiating.
  7. UW's offense has racked up almost the same total yards, and nine more TD's, than Texas on 87 fewer total offensive plays.

Comments

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,634
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Keep working those stat tables Anus!

My memory is that Sark will make some off script calls on third downs. They'll try (and probably succeed once or twice) to burn UW with draws or screens on third and long. I like UW against that on third downs a lot better than I do against all the scrambling, rat ball QB play in the PAC 12.
  • Options
    Mitch_CumsteenMitch_Cumsteen Member Posts: 77
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Texas has been lousy in short yardage on 3rd and 4th down, and very shitty in the red zone. On the short yardage stuff, they were stubborn early in the season and just tried to run over people, but it didn't work. The last few weeks they have been more creative with better success. The red zone stuff has been a big problem, though, no doubt.

Regarding penalties and differences in conference officiating... there is a big conspiracy theory about the Big 12 trying to screw Texas on the way out the door. I'm too lazy to look up the stats, but Texas (and Oklahoma) had massive disparities in penalties called on them compared to their opponents. Despite Texas having the Outland winner at DT and a second really good DT, I don't think they drew more than 1 or 2 holding calls all season in conference.

Relatedly, I wouldn't read too much into the sack numbers. The Big 12 doesn't really believe in calling even egregious holding, so it cuts both ways. The Texas Oline may be overrated in pass pro and the Dline might be underrated in their rush. Texas had 5 sacks against Bama. Texas had 27 sacks in the other 12 games combined. I have a difficult time believing that the rest of the Big 12 had a better offensive line than Alabama.

Texas special teams have been very good all year, really in all phases. I wouldn't look for that to be an area of weakness to exploit necessarily, even though UW did block a punt in the Alamobowl. The kicker has been really solid, the punter (Stanford transfer) has been good, and Worthy is a dangerous return man. They have also blocked a few punts as well.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,875
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Texas has been lousy in short yardage on 3rd and 4th down, and very shitty in the red zone. On the short yardage stuff, they were stubborn early in the season and just tried to run over people, but it didn't work. The last few weeks they have been more creative with better success. The red zone stuff has been a big problem, though, no doubt.

Regarding penalties and differences in conference officiating... there is a big conspiracy theory about the Big 12 trying to screw Texas on the way out the door. I'm too lazy to look up the stats, but Texas (and Oklahoma) had massive disparities in penalties called on them compared to their opponents. Despite Texas having the Outland winner at DT and a second really good DT, I don't think they drew more than 1 or 2 holding calls all season in conference.

Relatedly, I wouldn't read too much into the sack numbers. The Big 12 doesn't really believe in calling even egregious holding, so it cuts both ways. The Texas Oline may be overrated in pass pro and the Dline might be underrated in their rush. Texas had 5 sacks against Bama. Texas had 27 sacks in the other 12 games combined. I have a difficult time believing that the rest of the Big 12 had a better offensive line than Alabama.

Texas special teams have been very good all year, really in all phases. I wouldn't look for that to be an area of weakness to exploit necessarily, even though UW did block a punt in the Alamobowl. The kicker has been really solid, the punter (Stanford transfer) has been good, and Worthy is a dangerous return man. They have also blocked a few punts as well.

TL DR
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    edited December 2023

Sark signature offense, tigger does not lose its stripes
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,155
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

TL DR
    It's a good read and worthwhile
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,274
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

NOT ready to rumble? I heard the trenches is where Texas was going to dominate this game.