Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

What I'm hearing from my buddies in Texas.

124»

Comments

• Options
    BornInAtxBornInAtx Member Posts: 12
    5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

BornInAtx said:

Tequilla said:

Stat wise in conference games Texas is a poorer version of Oregon (particularly on D) … but in a worse conference

What the Texas people don’t get is how we run so much toss sweep as a means to out leverage and complement the passing game

Not saying that the Texas DTs aren’t good (they are) … but we should be able to neutralize them a bit

What always gave Kwat’s defenses the most problems?

Texas’ defense is fast. They will be the fastest team UW has played at the second level. Playing them side to side will play into their strengths and I don’t expect that to be a big part of the UW game plan.

Your WRs and your QB though impress the hell out of me. They are going to make plays and this is going to be one hell of a ball game.

As a Texas fan, I’ve been following UW all season and been saying they should be one of the favorites from the beginning.

Texas is light years better than they were the last time we played y’all. But I think UW very well may be the most complete team I’ve seen this year.

I did not want to play UW… would rather have played either of the other 2 (already beat Bama)… I think Texas can pull it out but I think it’s going to be a classic
    Does your team put on pads with GPS in them to see how fast they are like Oregon?

You may be right and your team is talented and fast, but Oregon was the sweetheart pick by many to cause damage in the playoffs and were ranked above you guys the entire year.

That is until Washington shoved the ball down their throats for over 450 yards on a neutral field.

As impressive as your Bama win was, the OU loss with a healthy Ewers was a result of your gassed defense bending over in the last 2 minutes.
    Texas’ loss to OU was a combination of 2 things:

1) That rivalry game is a (particularly) insane one. Unless you’ve been really following it.. it’s too much to explain but in short it’s different than any other on ANY other teams sched

2) Texas coaches were 100% out-coached in the first about 10 min of the game and it cost them ultimately. OU coaches identified and exploited specific offensive tendencies in Texas’ passing game with spectacular execution early.

Ewers was intercepted on 2nd play of game… 4th pass attempt should have been int.. 6th pass another pick. TX made adjustments and got back into the game (Ewers started 2-7 27 yds 2 INT on first 2 drives, finished 29 for 31 for 330 yds the rest of the game) but in the end they never couldn't overcome the juice OU got from the hot start (momentum in that rivalry game is like no other due to the split stadium and extracurriculars that surround it).

Texas was taking control of the game by the 2nd half but had another (careless) turnover late (OU had zero TOs). Ultimately Sooners put together a masterful game winning drive in the final 90 seconds just when it seemed their offense had nothing less

• Options
    BornInAtxBornInAtx Member Posts: 12
    5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

BornInAtx said:

BornInAtx said:

Tequilla said:

Stat wise in conference games Texas is a poorer version of Oregon (particularly on D) … but in a worse conference

What the Texas people don’t get is how we run so much toss sweep as a means to out leverage and complement the passing game

Not saying that the Texas DTs aren’t good (they are) … but we should be able to neutralize them a bit

Texas’ defense is fast. They will be the fastest team UW has played at the second level. Playing them side to side will play into their strengths and I don’t expect that to be a big part of the UW game plan.

Your WRs and your QB though impress the hell out of me. They are going to make plays and this is going to be one hell of a ball game.

As a Texas fan, I’ve been following UW all season and been saying they should be one of the favorites from the beginning.

Texas is light years better than they were the last time we played y’all. But I think UW very well may be the most complete team I’ve seen this year.

I did not want to play UW… would rather have played either of the other 2 (already beat Bama)… I think Texas can pull it out but I think it’s going to be a classic
    Does your team put on pads with GPS in them to see how fast they are like Oregon?

You may be right and your team is talented and fast, but Oregon was the sweetheart pick by many to cause damage in the playoffs and were ranked above you guys the entire year.

That is until Washington shoved the ball down their throats for over 450 yards on a neutral field.

As impressive as your Bama win was, the OU loss with a healthy Ewers was a result of your gassed defense bending over in the last 2 minutes.

1) That rivalry game is a (particularly) insane one. Unless you’ve been really following it.. it’s too much to explain but in short it’s different than any other on ANY other teams sched

2) Texas coaches were 100% out-coached in the first about 10 min of the game and it cost them ultimately. OU coaches identified and exploited specific offensive tendencies in Texas’ passing game with spectacular execution early.

Ewers was intercepted on 2nd play of game… 4th pass attempt should have been int.. 6th pass another pick. TX made adjustments and got back into the game (Ewers started 2-7 27 yds 2 INT on first 2 drives, finished 29 for 31 for 330 yds the rest of the game) but in the end they never couldn't overcome the juice OU got from the hot start (momentum in that rivalry game is like no other due to the split stadium and extracurriculars that surround it).

Texas was taking control of the game by the 2nd half but had another (careless) turnover late (OU had zero TOs). Ultimately Sooners put together a masterful game winning drive in the final 90 seconds just when it seemed their offense had nothing less

Yeah yeah. It's a rivalry game. We know all about those.

We? beat our rival twice, who was ranked ABOVE you all year long.

Texas fans who have migrated over here, which I give you props for, keep making emotional arguments like "its the Red River Shootout you cant possibly understand"

Sort of like Sark always talking about "the emotions on the field" when he was here.

Undefeated.

I’m not saying “you can’t understand”… I’m saying that game isn’t really indicative of who Texas is but I’m too lazy to get into it

Iowa State 26-16 would be more indicative of who Texas is but again do we really want to bother?

I came over here bc I’m excited about this game and I think it’s going to be a classic. UW been on my radar since the season began. Y’all have a really good team
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,054
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    BornInAtx said:

BornInAtx said:

BornInAtx said:

Tequilla said:

Yeah yeah. It's a rivalry game. We know all about those.

We? beat our rival twice, who was ranked ABOVE you all year long.

Texas fans who have migrated over here, which I give you props for, keep making emotional arguments like "its the Red River Shootout you cant possibly understand"

Sort of like Sark always talking about "the emotions on the field" when he was here.

Undefeated.

I’m not saying “you can’t understand”… I’m saying that game isn’t really indicative of who Texas is but I’m too lazy to get into it

Iowa State 26-16 would be more indicative of who Texas is but again do we really want to bother?

I came over here bc I’m excited about this game and I think it’s going to be a classic. UW been on my radar since the season began. Y’all have a really good team
    By the tim you figure out this bored the game will already have been played.

Just clench your cheeks and don’t drop the soap over the next few weeks and I’m sure you’ll do fine.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Bring pics of Sarks wife you savage
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    BornInAtx said:

Tequilla said:

BornInAtx said:

Tequilla said:

BornInAtx said:

Tequilla said:

I love this type of analysis because it's flat out lazy ...

If you really watch what UW does offensively in detail, you'll notice that the run game is a supplement to the passing game

The offense does a ton of shifting pre-snap and it's with a purpose whether it's trying to isolate a matchup, force a change to a defensive call, or something as simple as just getting the defenders out of position.

The picture here isn't great but it will do the trick for illustrative purposes ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9pGgglrNaE

UW's primary 2 run plays are a toss sweep and a counter ... what makes them so difficult to defend is that they go in opposite directions and it really forces challenges on the defensive possession.

Here, Oregon is lined up at the top of the formation with a 3 versus 3 situation and over-indexing itself at the bottom half of the formation protecting against the counter and any drags/crossers/motions across the formation. Based on the formation you can almost guarantee that Oregon's slanting in the run game towards the top of the formation.

At the snap, the toss element basically torpedoes any of the backside pursuit given the location and with the pulling linemen you find that UW's at a 6 vs 4 advantage in blocking ... that's going to be a WIN each and every time.

The only chance that Oregon has to defend the play is for the CB defending Rome to instantly attack the edge and get in before the pulling OL can get in front ... problem with that is in that formation if you do that then you're giving Rome a free release for a slant/post to the back end of the endzone wide open.

I can go pull any number of these types of plays and highlight that Washington's run game is a supplement to the pass game and looks to attack in favorable numbers.

The other area where these type of plays are going to cause problems is that the consensus way to slow Penix down is to blitz through the G-C-G gaps and put pressure in his face and try to take advantage of his release point being relatively lower than it should be. If you're showing a middle blitz, then it's also creating opportunities for the UW offense to outflank on the edge with numbers.

It's an offense that is going to consistently cause problems in that they'll more often than not get you to declare what you're trying to take away and what you're giving up ... when they are operating at their top end it's taking the easy plays and operating very efficiently.
    Lazy?!

Youre GD right.

My analysis comes from my couch and lazy is all that’s going on I promise you.

But I’ve seen UW play quite a bit this season. I KNOW y’all are good.

I’ve been a Texas fan for a long time and Ive seen us at our best and worst. I was in the Rose Bowl when Vince ran it in 4th and 5. I was at the the Cotton Bowl when Miami embarrassed us in front of a national audience. My earliest memory is dodging batteries thrown by irate Arkansas fans while still wearing diapers.

I will tell you this Texas team is somewhere in btwn our last 2 best teams. We’re not 2005 good but we’re better than 2009 good.

Washington might be better. I’m looking forward to it
    Big props for admitting the laziness ... well played

It's interesting to see you say that Sark effectively got punked to start the game against Oklaoma ... we know something about that here

I watch A LOT of Big12 football ... Texas is definitely good. But I think you'd admit that all in all this was a down year for the Big12 overall ... but that's just my take.

I'm not going to sit here and say that I wanted to play Texas ... but I'm not going to tell you that I didn't. Only thing I didn't want was playing Saban with a month to prepare and 15 practices.

I would be willing to say that on the whole the UW fanbase probably has more confidence playing Texas than it did playing Oregon again in Vegas.
    And I wouldn’t blame y’all for that. There’s nothing better as a cfb fan than when you know your team is special GOOD. UW fans should be confident. I’m not a UW fan but I could tell early on that y’all would be in every game you would play and that the Huskies had a better than decent chance to run the table. If I was a UW fan, Texas is exactly who I would want to play in the semis. I mean it’s almost like it was meant to be…

The Big 12 is OVERALL down. At the same time I wouldn’t put too much stock in that. The Big 12 is never REALLY up (at least not since the late 2000’s). It was basically the same “gauntlet” it has been the last dozen years or so. A lot of very well coached teams who can’t overwhelm you with talent but almost every team has 3-4 studs that can wreck you with the right gameplan. The only thing that made the Big 12 “down” this season compared to past years is the majority of teams happened to be in a transition year with QB1

it is fairly decent match up on both side. hopefully it does not turn into a fucking snooze fest that will be fucking michigan vs. alabama. everyone is already hyping that game up as an old school battle. Fuck that, their offenses suck because they have no real QB play.
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,406
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    FireCohen said:

BornInAtx said:

Tequilla said:

BornInAtx said:

Tequilla said:

BornInAtx said:

Tequilla said:

If you really watch what UW does offensively in detail, you'll notice that the run game is a supplement to the passing game

The offense does a ton of shifting pre-snap and it's with a purpose whether it's trying to isolate a matchup, force a change to a defensive call, or something as simple as just getting the defenders out of position.

The picture here isn't great but it will do the trick for illustrative purposes ...

UW's primary 2 run plays are a toss sweep and a counter ... what makes them so difficult to defend is that they go in opposite directions and it really forces challenges on the defensive possession.

Here, Oregon is lined up at the top of the formation with a 3 versus 3 situation and over-indexing itself at the bottom half of the formation protecting against the counter and any drags/crossers/motions across the formation. Based on the formation you can almost guarantee that Oregon's slanting in the run game towards the top of the formation.

At the snap, the toss element basically torpedoes any of the backside pursuit given the location and with the pulling linemen you find that UW's at a 6 vs 4 advantage in blocking ... that's going to be a WIN each and every time.

The only chance that Oregon has to defend the play is for the CB defending Rome to instantly attack the edge and get in before the pulling OL can get in front ... problem with that is in that formation if you do that then you're giving Rome a free release for a slant/post to the back end of the endzone wide open.

I can go pull any number of these types of plays and highlight that Washington's run game is a supplement to the pass game and looks to attack in favorable numbers.

The other area where these type of plays are going to cause problems is that the consensus way to slow Penix down is to blitz through the G-C-G gaps and put pressure in his face and try to take advantage of his release point being relatively lower than it should be. If you're showing a middle blitz, then it's also creating opportunities for the UW offense to outflank on the edge with numbers.

It's an offense that is going to consistently cause problems in that they'll more often than not get you to declare what you're trying to take away and what you're giving up ... when they are operating at their top end it's taking the easy plays and operating very efficiently.
    Lazy?!

Youre GD right.

I’ve been a Texas fan for a long time and Ive seen us at our best and worst. I was in the Rose Bowl when Vince ran it in 4th and 5. I was at the the Cotton Bowl when Miami embarrassed us in front of a national audience. My earliest memory is dodging batteries thrown by irate Arkansas fans while still wearing diapers.

I will tell you this Texas team is somewhere in btwn our last 2 best teams. We’re not 2005 good but we’re better than 2009 good.

It's interesting to see you say that Sark effectively got punked to start the game against Oklaoma ... we know something about that here

I watch A LOT of Big12 football ... Texas is definitely good. But I think you'd admit that all in all this was a down year for the Big12 overall ... but that's just my take.

I'm not going to sit here and say that I wanted to play Texas ... but I'm not going to tell you that I didn't. Only thing I didn't want was playing Saban with a month to prepare and 15 practices.

I would be willing to say that on the whole the UW fanbase probably has more confidence playing Texas than it did playing Oregon again in Vegas.
    And I wouldn’t blame y’all for that. There’s nothing better as a cfb fan than when you know your team is special GOOD. UW fans should be confident. I’m not a UW fan but I could tell early on that y’all would be in every game you would play and that the Huskies had a better than decent chance to run the table. If I was a UW fan, Texas is exactly who I would want to play in the semis. I mean it’s almost like it was meant to be…

The Big 12 is OVERALL down. At the same time I wouldn’t put too much stock in that. The Big 12 is never REALLY up (at least not since the late 2000’s). It was basically the same “gauntlet” it has been the last dozen years or so. A lot of very well coached teams who can’t overwhelm you with talent but almost every team has 3-4 studs that can wreck you with the right gameplan. The only thing that made the Big 12 “down” this season compared to past years is the majority of teams happened to be in a transition year with QB1

it is fairly decent match up on both side. hopefully it does not turn into a fucking snooze fest that will be fucking michigan vs. alabama. everyone is already hyping that game up as an old school battle. Fuck that, their offenses suck because they have no real QB play.
    I like the Tide to roll rather easily, say 34-17.
  • Options
    TheHB said:

FireCohen said:

BornInAtx said:

Tequilla said:

BornInAtx said:

Tequilla said:

BornInAtx said:

Tequilla said:

Lazy?!

Youre GD right.

I like the Tide to roll rather easily, say 34-17.
    6-9 bama hahaha
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,336
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Everyone's writing off Michigan in that game, and I find that strange. Isn't this the Alabama team that needed a 31 yard 4th down conversion to beat Auburn just two weeks ago?
  • Options
    edited December 2023

Everyone's writing off Michigan in that game, and I find that strange. Isn't this the Alabama team that needed a 31 yard 4th down conversion to beat Auburn just two weeks ago?

Bama is #battletested

Michigan had the easiest schedule by far

I'm on the Bama train. I hope the Michigan tuff midwest farm kids fuck them up some in defeat though
    i want bama for the natty, it just means more haha
  • Options
    Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,611
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    Michigan is the least tested team out there. I think if JJ gets rocked a couple times and Michigan gets down by more than a TD they will start to panic.

They are not used to genuine physical adversity against top level athletes.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,683
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Saban is 6-1 in semi final games

Harbaugh is like 0 for 8 in bowl games
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,068
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    0-2 headed for 0-3