Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Buc-ee's is awesome

Purple_PillsPurple_Pills Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,818
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
Swaye's Wigwam
I wish we had Buc-ee's here out west.

For you folks that have never been, Buc-ee's is an American chain of country stores, gas stations, and electric vehicle chargers created and owned by Arch "Beaver" Aplin III, headquartered in Lake Jackson, Texas. The chain was founded in 1982 in Clute, Texas and began expansion with its first travel center in Luling, Texas in 2003. The company began expanding outside of Texas in 2018 with the opening of a location in Baldwin County, Alabama, and has since opened locations in Georgia, Florida, Kentucky, South Carolina, and Tennessee, with new locations planned for North Carolina, Colorado, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Ohio, Virginia, and Wisconsin.

The chain is well known for the large size of its locations, alongside its product offerings of fuel, snacks (particularly beef jerky and candy), brisket, baked goods and commodities, tacos, fresh sandwiches, souvenirs, and travel items. It holds the record for the largest gas station in the world, as of June 2023 its Sevierville, TN location. The chain has also become well known for the cleanliness of its bathrooms, mascot, and the company's prohibition of 18-wheelers at their locations.

The chain has since developed a highly loyal customer base and often ranks among the most favorited gas stations in the country. Its bathrooms have also gained significant acclaim, winning the Cintas award for "Best Restroom in America" in 2012.

Comments

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,862
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    I would sell my first born for a Buc-ees within an hour drive.

It’s fucking awesome. Jerky and taffy and everything else worthwhile of western civilization.

• Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,903
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Went to a Buc-ees once. Overhyped. Didn’t even wanna go in.
  • Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    Founders Club

Must have been substandard nacho cheese sauce...
  • Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    Founders Club
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Very good bbq sammitches
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,929
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

Good people watching.
  • Options
    biak1biak1 Member Posts: 3,989
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Buc-ee's pralines are delicious.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,948
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Sounds like they have beef jersey
  • Options
    El_KEl_K Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,100
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I live 10 miles away from a Buccee's. I have been to a few others here and there. I think I got Covid visiting a Buccee's at the end of 2020, the 3rd most contagious wave.

They do have a beef jerky bar and a wall of prepackaged beef jerky. Or as I call it jerked beef.
    The BBQ is like never ending it seems. They make a zillion sandwiches and put them under the heat rack and they are gone.
    If you like fudge, they have shit ton of that too.
    The bathrooms are clean and huge. So, if you need to take a dump, know that it is generally pretty clean.
    And they have the clothing and gear. coolers. chairs, and other stuff too.
  • Options
    TXDawgTXDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 818
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Founders Club
    Live near a Buc-ee's. It’s fun occasionally, especially the first few times, but after a while you’ll realize it’s too much hassle for a quick stop.

I always take out-of-towners for a visit since they love it. For me, I’ll hit up the QuikTrip and be back on the road in ten minutes.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,858
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    TXDawg said:

Live near a Buc-ee's. It’s fun occasionally, especially the first few times, but after a while you’ll realize it’s too much hassle for a quick stop.

I always take out-of-towners for a visit since they love it. For me, I’ll hit up the QuikTrip and be back on the road in ten minutes.

Quick Trip works.

Their cashiers are extremely fast. The gas prices seem to vary wildly locally, for some reason.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    We just got a QT in town here not 5 minutes from the house. I celebrated.

Buc-ee's is the shit. There's one in Bama about halfway between here and my Dads' house, we always plan a gas stop there. The brisket sandwiches match the hype and the burritos are underrated. Very worthwhile stop.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Buc-ee's is overrated in the sense that it's not designed to be your go to stop for gas in most cases (more on that later) ...

If you're doing the long drive thing thought a Buc-ee's is pretty much awesome and is a great spot to stop when you need to break up the drive and take care of the bathroom, buy some food/snacks, etc. It's a madhouse but frankly everything runs incredibly smooth ... it's Americana at it's best.

At least a couple of times a year I'm making the drive down I-45 from DFW to get down to the Gulf of Mexico and Buc-ee's (along with Woody's) is basically at the halfway mark. To say that they both cover what you need in a stop is an understatement ... Buc-ee's has better ready made items (the BBQ sandwiches are amazing ... I always recommend the jalapeno sausage kolache's and biscuits) whereas Woody's is amazing in that they have some of the better spice mixes that you can find in that type of environment and I'd argue that some of their bakery options are even better (downside is that the gas is probably 20-30 cents a gallon higher)

Now, if you happen to be in the Lake Jackson area where Buc-ee's HQs are then you'll find a lot of Buc-ee's that are much more like your typical gas station (or QTs for those that know) in and around the area. Those absolutely are fine to go to on a regular basis.

I'm a major fan
  • Options
    alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,849
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    dnc said:

We just got a QT in town here not 5 minutes from the house. I celebrated.

Buc-ee's is the shit. There's one in Bama about halfway between here and my Dads' house, we always plan a gas stop there. The brisket sandwiches match the hype and the burritos are underrated. Very worthwhile stop.

Which Dad?