Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

3 High 2 High or 1 High/ How high will Oregon be

Athletic’s take from earlier in the year. Arizona went 3 high safeties. Penix saw primarily single high safety coverage for most of his snaps this year. Teams adjusted … Link below on What the UW offense does well on route combos and how to counter.

Can Oregon slow down Washington?
This Saturday, the challenge will be on the Oregon defense to take away space for these receivers to work. The Ducks are sixth in the country in total defense and fifth in scoring defense, allowing only 11.8 points per game. Last year, Penix threw for 408 yards against the Ducks in a 37-34 Washington win in Eugene.

To defend the Huskies this time, the Ducks will need to do something many other opponents have not done and play two-high safety defense. Oregon has played two-high on 33 percent of snaps so far this season. Expect more of it Saturday in Seattle.

The Huskies have seen two-high coverage on only 23 percent of snaps, according to TruMedia. Tulsa was the only opponent to have its safeties align at 15 yards, but it didn’t have the personnel to match up with the Huskies’ receivers. The Ducks may just have the secondary to match up with the Huskies receivers, at least better than most. They relied on their back end to stymie Colorado’s pass game in September, limiting quarterback Shedeur Sanders and his receiving crew to 159 yards, their lowest output all season.

The Ducks will need a repeat performance against a more talented unit in order to steal the win in Washington, which has looked as unstoppable as any offense in the country thus far.

https://theathletic.com/4949719/2023/10/12/washington-huskies-football-penix-deboer-offense/?amp=1

Comments

• Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,348
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Wait. A 9-1/2 point favorite will have to “steal” a win?

• Options
    bisonduckbisonduck Member Posts: 714
    5 Up Votes First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    TheHB said:

Since this was written back in Oct., I think we need to look at it in that context. I am retarded, so I may be missing something.
  • Options
    Fear_BonerFear_Boner Member Posts: 756
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Lanning will be super high on nose candy.
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,183
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Imagine losing to UW 3 times in less than 400 days
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,908
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    TheHB said:

Hate to admit it but the retard @bisonduck is correct. This was the game preview for the first game.
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,348
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    So "the steal" is a thing after all.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,524
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Grubb will need to call one of his best games of the season since Oregon should run with 2 and 3 deep often. No way would I let Odunze beat me when McMillan may still be rusty and Polk has had a case of the dropsies.
  • Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,555
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    It's for the first game but it's still a big question. Seems like Lanning has stuck to his standard defense both games which probably isn't the best way to defend UW's offense when it's not fucking around. It's a lot to completely change your defense in one week though and I feel like his style and pride doesn't love doing a prevent basically. I'd drop and drop and drop. Nothing has sown UW and Penix won't still try to take deep shots instead of just taking the short ones how they should.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,524
    Standard Supporter

It's for the first game but it's still a big question. Seems like Lanning has stuck to his standard defense both games which probably isn't the best way to defend UW's offense when it's not fucking around. It's a lot to completely change your defense in one week though and I feel like his style and pride doesn't love doing a prevent basically. I'd drop and drop and drop. Nothing has sown UW and Penix won't still try to take deep shots instead of just taking the short ones how they should.

USC tried that and Grubb hit them with some inside screens.
  • Options
    ClevdawgClevdawg Member Posts: 118
    Yes the article was earlier in the year. The take away I had was that in some way this impacted Grubb’s play calling. I think Grubb in bad weather was forcing his play calling down field. Call it UW’s deep throw it’s “ identity” I don’t think so. I call it my Heisman candidate numbers are not going to be Jayden LSU esque in this shit weather for 3 games and I got to get my boy some yards. ASU notwithstanding. Arizona dropped three safeties knowing Penix needed the yards. This game will be different. Beat Noxious Nix twice and it doesn’t matter what the stats are Nix is done. So I think you’re going to see check down after check down and inside screens and throws to the flats if they drop 8 and rush 3 all day. Grubb just has to win stats don’t matter on this one.
  • Options
    Clevdawg said:

Yes the article was earlier in the year. The take away I had was that in some way this impacted Grubb’s play calling. I think Grubb in bad weather was forcing his play calling down field. Call it UW’s deep throw it’s “ identity” I don’t think so. I call it my Heisman candidate numbers are not going to be Jayden LSU esque in this shit weather for 3 games and I got to get my boy some yards. ASU notwithstanding. Arizona dropped three safeties knowing Penix needed the yards. This game will be different. Beat Noxious Nix twice and it doesn’t matter what the stats are Nix is done. So I think you’re going to see check down after check down and inside screens and throws to the flats if they drop 8 and rush 3 all day. Grubb just has to win stats don’t matter on this one.

Penix is missing 10 yard over routes to Westover. His accuracy issues are not just on 30 year fade routes.

Oregon is going to play aggressive. Jordan Burch has come alive in the 2nd half of the season, and my hope is we get home even better this time around.
  • Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,555
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    bisonduck said:

Clevdawg said:

Penix is missing 10 yard over routes to Westover. His accuracy issues are not just on 30 year fade routes.

Oregon is going to play aggressive. Jordan Burch has come alive in the 2nd half of the season, and my hope is we get home even better this time around.
    Seriously go fuck off.
  • Options
    OreDawgOreDawg Member Posts: 589
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    I’m not sure oregon has a third safety they could put on the field that wouldn’t instantly be abused like a red headed stepchild. Their safeties are almost as bad as ours.
  • Options
    DucksFCDucksFC Member Posts: 1,112
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
  • Options
    Seven_ElevenSeven_Eleven Member Posts: 109
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Clevdawg said:

I doubt they are going to change much of how they play. It got them to 12-0. You don't pre-emptively change a gameplan that was been working that well.
  • Options
    OreDawg said:

I’m not sure oregon has a third safety they could put on the field that wouldn’t instantly be abused like a red headed stepchild. Their safeties are almost as bad as ours.

Oregon plays with three regularly.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    UW offense has bipolar disorder. It looks out of this world then looks like fucking Iowa. Should we give Grubb a dose of lithium?