Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

What does UW's Football Presidente do if Texas A&M makes a run at DeBoer?

2»

Comments

• Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958 Standard Supporter
    Baseman said:

It's going to take $7-$8 million to keep DeBoer. A million dollar salary raise isn't enough.

That said, Washington has no state income tax and doesn't have the pressure/meddling that comes with a job like A/M.

DeBoer's record, his success at different levels, his offensive chops make him very desirable. ELITE recruiting is still a question mark while offset with he can win and win now with any roster.

Jimbo had a Natty when A&M hired him which matters ALOT in the market place.

DeBoers getting a nice raise, maybe a double.

Don't fuck it up Ana/Denan

That sounds about right.

I like DeBoer and hope he stays, but you also don't want to overspend on retaining him. Too many coaches get a big payday and are later found out to frauds, or rest on their laurels.

As others (and myself) have said on this thread and others, if DeBoer wants to LEAVE! he will LEAVE!
  • Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958 Standard Supporter
    edited November 2023
    Baseman said:

Baseman said:

It's going to take $7-$8 million to keep DeBoer. A million dollar salary raise isn't enough.

That said, Washington has no state income tax and doesn't have the pressure/meddling that comes with a job like A/M.

DeBoer's record, his success at different levels, his offensive chops make him very desirable. ELITE recruiting is still a question mark while offset with he can win and win now with any roster.

That sounds about right.

I like DeBoer and hope he stays, but you also don't want to overspend on retaining him. Too many coaches get a big payday and are later found out to frauds, or rest on their laurels.

As others (and myself) have said on this thread and others, if DeBoer wants to LEAVE! he will LEAVE!
    DeBoer is not a fraud. (Recall, I was FIRST and RIGHT)

UW won't be able to slow walk him with a "show me" Natty type accomplishment, hold him off with a promise and expect he sticks around. It sounds good on message boreds but that's not how it works.

His market is higher.

I's easier to win consistently at Bama/SC where resources, bags, and support are abundant than winning 4 Nattys plus a runner up in the NAIA. No resources, no bagman and the radio post game is sponsored by the local burger joint.

It's always a leap of faith. Many in Tuscaloosa are grumbling the game has passed Saban by.

Jimbo. Sumlin.
    Brian Kelly has so far been a dud. Ed O. before him.
    Kiffen. Sark. Let's go big Dick and give Lincoln $10 per and a grand palace overlooking the Pacific
    Willie, Meat, and Danbo (wandering eyes)

Go big or go home. It comes with a price.

DeBoer has the wind at his back. Every other Washington hire, sans James who my Dad (1st) followed by @RaceBannon wanted fired circa 86-88, has been a dud.

It's tim to open the wallet. If he disappoints, that's the price of big boy FB. He's no Hop. I'll die on that hill
    Whoa, Nelly! Just in case my post was unclear, I didn't say DeBoer was a fraud. I was actually thinking of how Cohen drove a BRINKS truck up to Mike Hopkins' house because many at the school thought he was the second coming of John Wooden.

When a girl gets burned, she remembers.

And my Spidey senses tell me that DeBoer is the real deal too, but I was just trying to temper the hyperbolic discussion around trying to retain him.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,925 Swaye's Wigwam

Baseman said:

Baseman said:

That sounds about right.

UW won't be able to slow walk him with a "show me" Natty type accomplishment, hold him off with a promise and expect he sticks around. It sounds good on message boreds but that's not how it works.

His market is higher.

I's easier to win consistently at Bama/SC where resources, bags, and support are abundant than winning 4 Nattys plus a runner up in the NAIA. No resources, no bagman and the radio post game is sponsored by the local burger joint.

It's always a leap of faith. Many in Tuscaloosa are grumbling the game has passed Saban by.

Jimbo. Sumlin.
    Kiffen. Sark. Let's go big Dick and give Lincoln $10 per and a grand palace overlooking the Pacific

DeBoer has the wind at his back. Every other Washington hire, sans James who my Dad (1st) followed by @RaceBannon wanted fired circa 86-88, has been a dud.

It's tim to open the wallet. If he disappoints, that's the price of big boy FB. He's no Hop. I'll die on that hill
    We? aren't built for magical seasons like this every year. It takes a generational qb.

I fully expect some regression once the Penix moves on. Even Dabo is down.

You still gotta pay the man.
    It's not my money. I hope they extend him during AC week for $144 million/12 years.

Pretending to care about the money my thoughts is that if I'm paying Deboer $100 million+ right now it means I felt sure his floor was 9 wins with a median of 12. I think that kind of money should get you playoff teams about as often as not.

Also it could mean he won the natty.

Either way I hope they let the season play out before the inevitable extension. A conference title game loss and missing the playoffs, in my opinion, would save you quite a bit of money before the next inevitable extension.
  • pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 19,901 Founders Club
    Baseman said:

Baseman said:

That sounds about right.

His market is higher.

Jimbo. Sumlin.

#MeToo as @YellowSnow is my witness.

• BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,151
    TXDawg said:

TXDawg said:

There's nothing to do. If he wants the bag, he goes to ATM. If he wants self-respect and a lot less bullshit in his life, he'll pass.

He can get the bag from many other places that aren't delusional A&M.

Who in their right mind would go there after seeing how quickly they hit reset on coaches? If you're a coach who knows what you're doing and are rising in the profession you do not put your career in the hands of those moronic hillbillies.
    If you care about the bag, you don't give a shit about your coaching reputation in the end. You pull a Jimbo, just take your $75 million and grab a flight to Destin.
    Jimbo was a lot closer to the end than the beginning and already had a Natty.
  • AOGAOG Member Posts: 1,707
    edited November 2023
    Football Presidente must make sure they have badges

• TrojanSwordTrojanSword Member Posts: 545
    Tejas A&M would never offer a coach that can't recruit for shit on offer. DeBoner is not on their list at all. DeBoner is a great coach but has not proven he can recruit.
  • ExtraChrisBExtraChrisB Member Posts: 1,811

Tejas A&M would never offer a coach that can't recruit for shit on offer. DeBoner is not on their list at all. DeBoner is a great coach but has not proven he can recruit.

He’s not going to A&M but this is dumb reasoning. Anybody can recruit with big time NIL, that’s easy. The coaching part is hard.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,358 Founders Club

TXDawg said:

There's nothing to do. If he wants the bag, he goes to ATM. If he wants self-respect and a lot less bullshit in his life, he'll pass.

Who in their right mind would go there after seeing how quickly they hit reset on coaches? If you're a coach who knows what you're doing and are rising in the profession you do not put your career in the hands of those moronic hillbillies.
    I largely agree, but if you have faith in your ability to win and want to do so in the SEC all while being paid obscene amounts of money, you could take on that challenge. If you win 85% of your games nobody is going to fire you.

Also, don't forget how people across the country couldn't believe UW would fire Lambo with a 44-25-1 record. But when you're up close and personal, you can see the dysfunction. Jimbo and Sumlin both had Lambo-like records at A&M.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,898 Founders Club

TXDawg said:

I largely agree, but if you have faith in your ability to win and want to do so in the SEC all while being paid obscene amounts of money, you could take on that challenge. If you win 85% of your games nobody is going to fire you.

Also, don't forget how people across the country couldn't believe UW would fire Lambo with a 44-25-1 record. But when you're up close and personal, you can see the dysfunction. Jimbo and Sumlin both had Lambo-like records at A&M.
    Pretty much the same record as Jimbo.

$7-8 million for DeBoner is a steal. UK is paying the wrong fucking Stoops $9 million for averaging 7.5 wins.

Like @pawz said, give that man his money.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,506 Swaye's Wigwam
    It never gets mentioned but it should that these blue blood schools make fucktarded hires almost every time. Even schools like Georgia that got it right went after a coordinator.

Texas pulls Sark who was a proven mediocre hc. Ohio State hired from within which is almost dumber than pulling the coordinator.

The winner hc coach coming from a lower level doesn't seem to be as desirable or at least that's the recent trend.

Petersen after making the playoff had soft Tennessee rumors and that was it.

Urban to Florida doesn't seem to happen as much.
  • rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,161

atm is a fuckall program that wont win shit, if they were going to win shit, they would have done it by now. texas is close to this as well, shit ton of resources, should have won more, but now they got their guy in there that never loses a presser.

if im a coach, and atm comes to me, i tell them 'give me the exact same contract jimbo got or kick rocks.' i go in realizing im never going to win shit, boosters will be up my ass, my career only lasts 5 more years, but i get paid.