Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

2 point conversion

EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,478
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Founders Club
USC and Pedo State both went for 2 today down 9 late in the game. Why the fuck would you not kick the XP to make it a one possession gayme? What happened to not going for 2 until you have to?

Comments

• Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,444
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

USC and Pedo State both went for 2 today down 9 late in the game. Why the fuck would you not kick the XP to make it a one possession gayme? What happened to not going for 2 until you have to?

Both are loser coaches at loser programs who like to lose
  • Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,540
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Reeks of desperation and undeserved confidence. No reason to do it. Keep the pressure on the opponent if you can.
  • Options
    ArcArc Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 112
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I was saying the exact same thing about that PSU two point conversion. If you need two touchdowns, why go for it on the first one and risk completely removing all hope of winning with several minutes still on the clock?
  • Options
    DHDDHD Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,407
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Founders Club
    I'm assuming USC's kicker was hurt.

If so, I understand going for 2 in that scenario.

If not, then Lincoln Riley is a fucking moron and I hope he stays at USC for a LONG time.
  • Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,061
    Standard Supporter
    edited November 2023

What happened? Math. It's really simple. Teams do it so they have time to do something about it if they fail. If you need two 2 point conversions and you wait until the last play of the game and fail, it's over. If you need two 2 point conversions and you fail on one with X minutes left you at least can adjust your strategy to know you need to overcome that.
  • Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,061
    Standard Supporter

Just remember, Washington beat USC on the road by more than Oregon did at home after USC fired their defensive coordinator.

All that matters is Oregon.
  • Options
    HippopeteamusHippopeteamus Member Posts: 1,946
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    dtd said:

What happened? Math. It's really simple. Teams do it so they have time to do something about it if they fail.
    I know the analytics say to go for it, but I would be curious if there is a psychological element as well. Yes you may be putting yourself in a position where you have to get the two point conversion or you loose the game. But that also means the defense has more pressure to stop you on that play.
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,515
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

Just remember, Washington beat USC on the road by more than Oregon did at home after USC fired their defensive coordinator.

Are you positing that usc D was better with grinch than without?
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,515
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

dtd said:

What happened? Math. It's really simple. Teams do it so they have time to do something about it if they fail.
    I know the analytics say to go for it, but I would be curious if there is a psychological element as well. Yes you may be putting yourself in a position where you have to get the two point conversion or you loose the game. But that also means the defense has more pressure to stop you on that play.
    Oregon’s top 3 corners were out injured at the time of that drive + usc offense had just rolled down the field. Usc didn’t have @bisonduck on their sideline giving them injury updates so going for it then was the correct call imho, in case any of those 3 players came back in for the next (potential) 2 pt play that would have been to tie it. Go for it against the shittier personnel
  • Options
    HippopeteamusHippopeteamus Member Posts: 1,946
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    ntxduck said:

dtd said:

Oregon’s top 3 corners were out injured at the time of that drive + usc offense had just rolled down the field. Usc didn’t have @bisonduck on their sideline giving them injury updates so going for it then was the correct call imho, in case any of those 3 players came back in for the next (potential) 2 pt play that would have been to tie it. Go for it against the shittier personnel
    That would certainly make sense in this case, but I do wonder in general, since everyone seems to think going for two first is almost always the right call.
  • Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,540
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    ntxduck said:

Are you positing that usc D was better with grinch than without?
    I thought they run defense was a lot better than I expected. Their pass defense, particularly after the catch was some of the worst I've ever seen to the point on that Franklin touchdown I'm legit wondering if the USC players are betting against themselves and letting other teams score.