Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Monday rewatch thoughts

Comments

• Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,337
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

dnc said:

dnc said:

UW was by far the more physical team. Obviously there's the 300 yards on the ground, but beyond that we were on the giving end of virtually all of the big hits in the game. Dom delivered multiple shots, the OL manhandled people and Dillon, Westover and Penix all picked up first downs by sheer will. The receivers were physical too (Ja'Lynn with another tough contested catch, Germ with an absolute decleater of a block).

Kickoff unit (especially Grady Gross) was an unsung hero. UW kicked off 9 times, 6 of them went for touchbacks (I didn't count how many of those were fair caught), only two that weren't were the one Branch let hit that didn't get into the end zone and he got tackled at the 5, a 17 yard return from the goalline to the 17 and the final of the day which Branch brought out from the goal line for 22 yards. Officially 43 yards on 3 returns for an average of 14.3 per return. Even if you take out the 4 yard debacle we held arguably the most explosive returner in the nation to under 20 yards per return.

Gross hit all his PATs and calmly knocked through another FG. Dude's been a revelation this year.

Super proud of Grubb. He called damn near a perfect game. There were more yards to be had in the passing game with our talent but they were easier to come by on the ground and he was willing to take them. Just a clinic.

Tybo doesn't have Dillon's vision but man he's explosive with the ball in his hands. Curious why we haven't tried him at KOR, would rather see him back then than Ngata if we're too worried about keeping Germie healthy. Maybe they trust his ball control? Love to have DJ come back next year but if he doesn't Tybo will get a lot of run.

Middle screen to Rome is just devastating. How do you stop that?

Penix made really good decisions, the one pick aside (which was really just an amazing defensive play by the tipper and a really good play by the interceptor). He was content to take what the defense gave him and didn't try and force the ball down field. When he did go downfield he drew a couple DPI's (including the huge one on Rome to wipe out Tybo's hold at midfield), converted the huge fourth down on the busted coverage to Rome, hit Polk for his patented going up for the ball while being hit grab and put one where Giles had a shot but couldn't quite reel it in. He also had a couple tough 1 yard runs when 1 yard was all that was needed. And of course the Heisman dime to Culp.

Speaking of Culp the TE's really made their presence felt. Cuevas had a nice grab early, Culp had the incredible TD and Westover had the big 3rd down pickup I referenced at the beginning. Plus lots of blocking contributions.

Probably not news but Parker Brailsford is a future All American and Probe Owl CENTER. He moves so well and his technique is really advanced for somebody so young. He's really good at guard but he's incredible at center.

Fautanu is probably gone, I can't imagine how he lasts past the second round. Just an incredible athlete at that size.

Trice had a very Trice like game. If we got any PUSH from the middle to match his HEAT from the edge he'd rack up the sacks. As it was he harassed Caleb all game and had a nice stop or two in the running game.

Couldn't possibly be happier for ZTF. The chemistry of the team and the staff really stood out. They love ZTF and he loves them. Proud of the way they rallied around him. That strip sack changed the whole complexion of the game.

Punt unit has to get that ball out there. Just a brutal block.

Fewer dumb penalties than I expected. Refs mostly let them play, can't remember any personal fouls other than the one tripping on Brailsford early and the nonsense call on Troy where SC didn't get hands to the face for taking his helmet off. Only maybe one DPI. I don't think we had a single downfield hold or block in the back despite all the long runs and screens. ESPN never did show us if the illegal formation on Rome was legit or not, interested to see if anyone can get the all 22 of that. Seemed like a weird call. Maybe our cleanest game, at least against a decent opponent.

We were about 1 tenth of a second from a scoop and score for Ulo, great play by Elijah to strip the ball, super super close to a catch.

We burned a TO early on defense when we somehow only had 9 men on the field. Defensive coaching still leaves a lot to be desired, players look confused often, don't know where to be or what their responsibilities are. This is going to burn us eventually.

If true this is maximum Pac12 RefFS
    I believe this matches what the announcers said on the broadcast.
    The rules official in the booth said it was because he wasn’t facing the line of scrimmage which matches up with the call.

Sounds like bullshit to me.
    Yeah, when receivers are in motion and the ball is snapped, they are oftentimes facing the sidelines.
  • Options
    dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,267
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    This team does remind me alot of the 2000 squad
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,545
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

The receiver in motion is in the back field - and I thought it was BS to call Rome for looking away - but I did find this

"The NCAA rulebook says an offensive player “is legally on his scrimmage line when he faces his opponent’s goal line with the line of his shoulders approximately parallel thereto and either he is the snapper or his head breaks the plane of the line drawn through the waistline of the snapper"

The mumbo jumbo in bold I do not care about
  • Options
    Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,866
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    Tequilla said:

dnc said:

On the other hand, we gave 42 points, 515 yards and 7.9 yards per carry

Yeah, there's that. The zone read gave us all kinds of fits, USC definitely has athletes. I don't worry about that with any of the teams left on the schedule but wonder if Oregon files that away a bit for conference title game. Good (?) news is I don't think Tuli is 100% yet so hopefully that will help a bit going forward. Oregon State and Utah coming up will tell us a lot about whether we just can't stop the run or if it was the threat of Caleb that was especially deadly.

I hate that we didn't get Austin Jones out of HS or out of the portal, always loved that dude.
    On the 4th and 1 TD pass that Caleb threw, Tuli destroyed his block and blew up the play forcing Caleb to pull something out of his ass the other way

That's a play that if you go back and watch we did A LOT of good things on and got nothing out of it. Even if you want to criticize the coverage in the end zone, the DB was there and not in terrible position ... ball placement was tremendous and the WR never really gave any indication that the ball was coming from which to trigger a look back from the DB

It looked to me like the WR blatantly pushed off. It was somewhat borderline, but I dunno his arms were fully extended....
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,444
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited November 2023
    LebamDawg said:

The receiver in motion is in the back field - and I thought it was BS to call Rome for looking away - but I did find this

"The NCAA rulebook says an offensive player “is legally on his scrimmage line when he faces his opponent’s goal line with the line of his shoulders approximately parallel thereto and either he is the snapper or his head breaks the plane of the line drawn through the waistline of the snapper"

Ok, I learned something new. If the WR is lined up in the backfield, they can be facing any direction. If they're on the LOS, they must be facing forward.

Edit:
    So this is legal since Odunze is in the backfield and not LOS
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,337
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    LebamDawg said:

Hard to argue with any reasoning that uses the word "thereto." @LawDawg1 true??
  • Options
    Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,606
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    dnc said:

UW was by far the more physical team. Obviously there's the 300 yards on the ground, but beyond that we were on the giving end of virtually all of the big hits in the game. Dom delivered multiple shots, the OL manhandled people and Dillon, Westover and Penix all picked up first downs by sheer will. The receivers were physical too (Ja'Lynn with another tough contested catch, Germ with an absolute decleater of a block).

Kickoff unit (especially Grady Gross) was an unsung hero. UW kicked off 9 times, 6 of them went for touchbacks (I didn't count how many of those were fair caught), only two that weren't were the one Branch let hit that didn't get into the end zone and he got tackled at the 5, a 17 yard return from the goalline to the 17 and the final of the day which Branch brought out from the goal line for 22 yards. Officially 43 yards on 3 returns for an average of 14.3 per return. Even if you take out the 4 yard debacle we held arguably the most explosive returner in the nation to under 20 yards per return.

Gross hit all his PATs and calmly knocked through another FG. Dude's been a revelation this year.

Super proud of Grubb. He called damn near a perfect game. There were more yards to be had in the passing game with our talent but they were easier to come by on the ground and he was willing to take them. Just a clinic.

Tybo doesn't have Dillon's vision but man he's explosive with the ball in his hands. Curious why we haven't tried him at KOR, would rather see him back then than Ngata if we're too worried about keeping Germie healthy. Maybe they trust his ball control? Love to have DJ come back next year but if he doesn't Tybo will get a lot of run.

Middle screen to Rome is just devastating. How do you stop that?

Penix made really good decisions, the one pick aside (which was really just an amazing defensive play by the tipper and a really good play by the interceptor). He was content to take what the defense gave him and didn't try and force the ball down field. When he did go downfield he drew a couple DPI's (including the huge one on Rome to wipe out Tybo's hold at midfield), converted the huge fourth down on the busted coverage to Rome, hit Polk for his patented going up for the ball while being hit grab and put one where Giles had a shot but couldn't quite reel it in. He also had a couple tough 1 yard runs when 1 yard was all that was needed. And of course the Heisman dime to Culp.

Speaking of Culp the TE's really made their presence felt. Cuevas had a nice grab early, Culp had the incredible TD and Westover had the big 3rd down pickup I referenced at the beginning. Plus lots of blocking contributions.

Probably not news but Parker Brailsford is a future All American and Probe Owl CENTER. He moves so well and his technique is really advanced for somebody so young. He's really good at guard but he's incredible at center.

Fautanu is probably gone, I can't imagine how he lasts past the second round. Just an incredible athlete at that size.

Trice had a very Trice like game. If we got any PUSH from the middle to match his HEAT from the edge he'd rack up the sacks. As it was he harassed Caleb all game and had a nice stop or two in the running game.

Couldn't possibly be happier for ZTF. The chemistry of the team and the staff really stood out. They love ZTF and he loves them. Proud of the way they rallied around him. That strip sack changed the whole complexion of the game.

Punt unit has to get that ball out there. Just a brutal block.

Fewer dumb penalties than I expected. Refs mostly let them play, can't remember any personal fouls other than the one tripping on Brailsford early and the nonsense call on Troy where SC didn't get hands to the face for taking his helmet off. Only maybe one DPI. I don't think we had a single downfield hold or block in the back despite all the long runs and screens. ESPN never did show us if the illegal formation on Rome was legit or not, interested to see if anyone can get the all 22 of that. Seemed like a weird call. Maybe our cleanest game, at least against a decent opponent.

We were about 1 tenth of a second from a scoop and score for Ulo, great play by Elijah to strip the ball, super super close to a catch.

We burned a TO early on defense when we somehow only had 9 men on the field. Defensive coaching still leaves a lot to be desired, players look confused often, don't know where to be or what their responsibilities are. This is going to burn us eventually.

Disagree a bit on Grubbs play calling. That int on the first drive of the second half drove me crazy.

That was another fuck up imo, you don’t let Penix even have the option of that throw. Had a chance to end the game right there with a few more handoffs and safe passes.

That was shades of Arizona and Oregon where you’re wasting drives with “kill shots” when you have big time momentum and just need to move the ball a bit more conservatively.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,620
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

How about Dillon hauling ass here? He is so explosive right now.

And Brailsford hauling ass too. He’s sealing off a db 15 yards downfield.
    He can turn it on after that first cut. His next 30 yards or so are blazing.

Also, if I'm a DB under 200lbs, I'm more than a little nervous I'll be in position to take him head on during that burst. I noticed that nobody from USC was ever in that position. I bet they didn't want to be.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

On the other hand, we gave 42 points, 515 yards and 7.9 yards per carry

Yeah, there's that. The zone read gave us all kinds of fits, USC definitely has athletes. I don't worry about that with any of the teams left on the schedule but wonder if Oregon files that away a bit for conference title game. Good (?) news is I don't think Tuli is 100% yet so hopefully that will help a bit going forward. Oregon State and Utah coming up will tell us a lot about whether we just can't stop the run or if it was the threat of Caleb that was especially deadly.

I hate that we didn't get Austin Jones out of HS or out of the portal, always loved that dude.
    On the 4th and 1 TD pass that Caleb threw, Tuli destroyed his block and blew up the play forcing Caleb to pull something out of his ass the other way

That's a play that if you go back and watch we did A LOT of good things on and got nothing out of it. Even if you want to criticize the coverage in the end zone, the DB was there and not in terrible position ... ball placement was tremendous and the WR never really gave any indication that the ball was coming from which to trigger a look back from the DB

It looked to me like the WR blatantly pushed off. It was somewhat borderline, but I dunno his arms were fully extended....
    That probably happens on 90%+ of those type of throws … DB didn’t know where the ball was

I had no issue with a no call