Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Chair sold

Love him or hate him, a legend.

Comments

• Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    He was basically a violent, less folksy Mike Leach with 3 titles.

I realize I’m probably oversimplifying things as his heyday was a little before my tim, but I do recognize a legend.

Respect, and RIP.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,378
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    He started coaching in 1965

His heyday at IU was 74 to 86 or so

He was fine because that's how most coaches were. He didn't adapt to changing times

He has a lot of loyal former players and some bitter ones too

Through today's lens he's a monster. Even during his time he was out there but just win baby and the coach could do no wrong
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

He was fine because that's how most coaches were. He didn't adapt to changing times

Through today's lens he's a monster. Even during his time he was out there but just win baby and the coach could do no wrong

Yup. I was still rocking pigtails in my hair during his prime. Pretty sure I saw Knight throwing one of his tantrums on TV, turned to my father and asked, “why is that man so angry?”

“He’s…passionate about winning,” Dad_de_Jour replied.
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,572
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

My father in law is from Indiana. Loves Knight. He was a team builder. Would get the right mix of players to make a final four run every four to six years. His 1992 team was awesome. If not for a late season injury to Allen Henderson they may have taken down Duke in the semis. He was never able get back after 92. The game and temperament of players changed after the Fab 5 came and went and he never could adjust. Knight was an all tim soundbite.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,053
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Just remembered a story about my dad related to Bobby Knight.

When I was 15 years old I was at Bellevue Square on Christmas Eve. I hadn't bought any presents yet so I was doing the last-moment thing. I went inside a bookstore, I think it was BDalton Bookseller. I saw a book about Bobby Knight called A Season on the Brink. Needing a present for my dad, I bought it.

I gave it to papa, and then pestered him over the next several weeks asking if he'd read it. I remember in March of the following year I checked his progress, and he was on page 45.

One year later, the following March, I saw the book sitting in his stack and I picked it up to see where he was at.

The bookmark was on page 45.
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,572
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Just remembered a story about my dad related to Bobby Knight.

When I was 15 years old I was at Bellevue Square on Christmas Eve. I hadn't bought any presents yet so I was doing the last-moment thing. I went inside a bookstore, I think it was BDalton Bookseller. I saw a book about Bobby Knight called A Season on the Brink. Needing a present for my dad, I bought it.

I gave it to papa, and then pestered him over the next several weeks asking if he'd read it. I remember in March of the following year I checked his progress, and he was on page 45.

One year later, the following March, I saw the book sitting in his stack and I picked it up to see where he was at.

The bookmark was on page 45.

That is really is a great book. Fienstien wrote another about Kermit Washington and Rudy T. called "The Punch". Also a darn good read.