Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Hardcore Husky Podcast: Huskies take down Ducks in Epic Affair

2»

Comments

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,244
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    TheHB said:

Good pod. If I didn't know better, it sounded like UW lost.

To me it didn't seem like we cited anything negative until the final fifteen minutes or so, when we started in on Grubb not being wise with the clock and the Tybo Rodgers playcall on 4th down.
  • Options
    Founders Club

I'm glad the phantom whistles were a thing, I thought I was going crazy thinking "penalty AGAIN?"

Now that you mention it, there was once or twice where I was like "Oh shit" and looking for a flag. But phantom whistles never occurred to me.
  • Options
    JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,167
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

TheHB said:

To me it didn't seem like we cited anything negative until the final fifteen minutes or so, when we started in on Grubb not being wise with the clock and the Tybo Rodgers playcall on 4th down.
    I’m sure the coaches don’t look at film and are just happy to win at all times. No need to get better
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,998
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Loved @WoolleyDoog 's takes on 5'6" Jack Ducks in custom jerseys.

Little Piss 1.0 was yelling those guys a few rows in front of us. He's 5'3" at age 9 and didn't seem afraid to take shit.

Smoking weed and talking shit like Little Piss 1.0
  • Options
    Founders Club

Woolley and I were there and don’t remember it

I texted Lucy. She said she seems to remember the student section emptying onto the field when it was over, but she's not 100% sure.
  • Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,638
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

I'm glad the phantom whistles were a thing, I thought I was going crazy thinking "penalty AGAIN?"

Now that you mention it, there was once or twice where I was like "Oh shit" and looking for a flag. But phantom whistles never occurred to me.
    I haven't rewatched the full game but wonder if it affected the game in the 2nd on that 3rd and 1 snafu.
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,372
    Swaye's Wigwam

I haven't rewatched the full game but wonder if it affected the game in the 2nd on that 3rd and 1 snafu.
    I think it did. My buddy and I were looking at each other like “wasn’t there a whistle?” But the refs never seemed to acknowledge it.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,644
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I didn't want the fans to rush the field. I actually said it out loud after they missed the kick... "Oh good they're not rushing the field".

I walked out of the room and came back and the fans were all over the field. It only took me a second to change my mind. Everything that added to the hype of the game and the win was good. There was more free pub from this than UW has garnered, combined, over the past couple of decades.

I saw/heard a clip of Julio Rodriguez as he watched the scene from in front of the offices. He definitely seemed impressed.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

TheHB said:

I’m sure the coaches don’t look at film and are just happy to win at all times. No need to get better
    Good point, coach.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,998
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    chuck said:

I didn't want the fans to rush the field. I actually said it out loud after they missed the kick... "Oh good they're not rushing the field".

I walked out of the room and came back and the fans were all over the field. It only took me a second to change my mind. Everything that added to the hype of the game and the win was good. There was more free pub from this than UW has garnered, combined, over the past couple of decades.

I saw/heard a clip of Julio Rodriguez as he watched the scene from in front of the offices. He definitely seemed impressed.

Unlike the wins against top 10 Stanford and Beav at the Clink, Oregon is actually a top 10ish team.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Yeah, the way that game went, it would have been weird for fans not to rush the field. Most of them haven’t “been there before” anyway.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,946
    Entire thread is deceptive.

"Epic Affair" would at least merit some Colleen Belotti reference.

• Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,998
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

Entire thread is deceptive.

"Epic Affair" would at least merit some Colleen Belotti reference.

Pics?
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,341

Woolley and I were there and don’t remember it

I texted Lucy.
    Pics?
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,341
    Muttzen said:

Nice pod. It's been a while.

As noted during the pods, it seems our running game sometimes has difficulty up front and this is backed up by the data.

I've pulled up some analytics in anticipation of the ASU game (With UW and ASU as their respective colors). The offensive scores are scaled relative to other FBS teams, where 1 is above all teams, 0 is below all other teams.

Clearly UW is top in several relevant offensive categories, but their "power success" (definition below) is quite low, which was quite frustrating to watch. The passing game can mask what might otherwise be deficiencies on offense - getting McMillan back will help this offense immensely.

"Power Success measures the percentage of running plays on 3rd or 4th down from 2 yards or less in which an offense either converted into a 1st down or scored a TD. 1st and 2nd down and goal plays within the 2 yard line are also included."

If we take a look at the defenses, in particular success rate of offenses against ASU in short yardage situations, we can see that they are worse than UW ("Power Success", far right, lower scores are better). We can also see from a high level that both defenses are more of a bend-but-don't-break style, routinely giving up yardage (high offense success rate) but with limited big plays (low explosiveness)

Hopefully this game will provide a good opportunity for UW to improve short yardage running attack.

@TheChart are you going take this IP theft lying down?
  • Options
    BeerThirtyBeerThirty Member Posts: 2,465
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Just listened. Thanks for the effort guys