Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Mt. Rushmore of NFL tight ends.

2»

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

dnc said:

Bob_C said:

Mark Bavarro

Only one 1,000 yard season. Just a good player hyped by playing in New York.
    And one Monday night game against the Niners where he carried most of the Niner defense down the field

People forget what an influence a good game on Monday night had on perception back in the day
    Monday Night Hype.

As you know, I can't help but mention an Aberdeen Bobcat, but still ... we? used to compare Bruener to Bavaro BITD. Similar builds, similar tuffness, similar 'type' of TE. We?, a bunch of Harbor Tuff DWAGs, came to that conclusion when, in MB's freshman year on the road against SC, he pushed big Willie McGinest in the chest and knocked him backwards while McGinest was jabbering in his face. We're watching and were like, "that mother fucker was playing in high school last year, and he just faces up to WM in LA. TUFF!!!!! No offense, but can you imagine Westover pushing WM in the chest and knocking him backwards out of his face? As a true freshman? Fuck off everyone: MB was a tuff sumbitch.

Of course, neither played in the kind of offense that will allow a TE to rattle off 1,000 yard seasons like Kelce does; so I guess they were just ok. Fuck.
    Bavarro's career also began and ended roughly 18 years before Shockey's did. It was a different era where TE's were asked to do different things.

Unlike Shockey Bavarro is in the Giants Ring of Honor. Neither are in the HOF though it wouldn't shock me if Bavarro got in at some point though the Veterans' Committee.
    You're missing the point. I'm not nominating him for the list. The point is that it's retarded to describe him as "just a good hyped-up player", which is what's on the table. That's hater nonsense.

They don't give 1st Team All Pro, ROTY and 4 pro bowls in 5 years to "just good" players because of hype. If we're playing that game, I can rip any player down by just saying he's "hyped". Come on. It's lazy and you know it.

If he misses that brutal leg brake and continues at the pace he was at, he has a very nice chance at a HOF career. After the Toomer incident, he was never the same.

As for Bavaro, plenty of TEs of his era were pass catchers and expected to be so: Keith Jackson, Shannon Sharpe, Ben Coates, Todd Christensen, Jay Novacek, etc. There are others. No doubt that today's TEs play in offenses where it's a premium. But it's not like Shockey retired last week. His NFL career began 22 years ago.

Ring of Honor. First, dumb. Second, Wellington Mara LOVED Jeremy Shockey, so much so that he wanted to see him while on his death bed. Weird affection for just an OK player. If he were alive, Shockey is in the ring. But he died, and Shockey famously did not get along with Mara junior, who is in charge now. Who cares?
    I was unaware that Mara gave Jeremy the Shockey.

Good to know.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,872
    edited October 2023
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Bob_C said:

Mark Bavarro

And one Monday night game against the Niners where he carried most of the Niner defense down the field

People forget what an influence a good game on Monday night had on perception back in the day
    Monday Night Hype.

As you know, I can't help but mention an Aberdeen Bobcat, but still ... we? used to compare Bruener to Bavaro BITD. Similar builds, similar tuffness, similar 'type' of TE. We?, a bunch of Harbor Tuff DWAGs, came to that conclusion when, in MB's freshman year on the road against SC, he pushed big Willie McGinest in the chest and knocked him backwards while McGinest was jabbering in his face. We're watching and were like, "that mother fucker was playing in high school last year, and he just faces up to WM in LA. TUFF!!!!! No offense, but can you imagine Westover pushing WM in the chest and knocking him backwards out of his face? As a true freshman? Fuck off everyone: MB was a tuff sumbitch.

Of course, neither played in the kind of offense that will allow a TE to rattle off 1,000 yard seasons like Kelce does; so I guess they were just ok. Fuck.
    Bavarro's career also began and ended roughly 18 years before Shockey's did. It was a different era where TE's were asked to do different things.

Unlike Shockey Bavarro is in the Giants Ring of Honor. Neither are in the HOF though it wouldn't shock me if Bavarro got in at some point though the Veterans' Committee.
    You're missing the point. I'm not nominating him for the list. The point is that it's retarded to describe him as "just a good hyped-up player", which is what's on the table. That's hater nonsense.

They don't give 1st Team All Pro, ROTY and 4 pro bowls in 5 years to "just good" players because of hype. If we're playing that game, I can rip any player down by just saying he's "hyped". Come on. It's lazy and you know it.

If he misses that brutal leg brake and continues at the pace he was at, he has a very nice chance at a HOF career. After the Toomer incident, he was never the same.

As for Bavaro, plenty of TEs of his era were pass catchers and expected to be so: Keith Jackson, Shannon Sharpe, Ben Coates, Todd Christensen, Jay Novacek, etc. There are others. No doubt that today's TEs play in offenses where it's a premium. But it's not like Shockey retired last week. His NFL career began 22 years ago.

Ring of Honor. First, dumb. Second, Wellington Mara LOVED Jeremy Shockey, so much so that he wanted to see him while on his death bed. Weird affection for just an OK player. If he were alive, Shockey is in the ring. But he died, and Shockey famously did not get along with Mara junior, who is in charge now. Who cares?

Good to know.

Which Mara is Kate's dad?

Perhaps there was some Shockey administered.

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,097
    Founders Club
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

dnc said:

dnc said:

Bob_C said:

Mark Bavarro

Monday Night Hype.

Good to know.

Which Mara is Kate's dad?

Perhaps there was some Shockey administered.

Would
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    edited October 2023
    Mount Rushmore of NFL TE gifs

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited October 2023
    dnc said:

Mount Rushmore of NFL TE gifs

Still not reeding strong, just like Roadie.

NFL:

1st Team All-Pro; NFL ROTY; First Team All-NFL AP; First Team All NFC, PFBW; 4 pro bowls; NFL All-Rookie Team; NFL Alumni Tight End of the Year; 2x Super Bowl Winner.

College:

Hurricane!!!!!!!!! I can't help it.
    National Champ
    Consensus All American
    Grantland Rice Trophy

A knee injury limited Shockey to nine games in 2003, but he caught 48 passes and was named to the Pro Bowl. Injuries would continue to be an issue, and he was also held in to block more in ’04, but Shockey remained an outstanding pass receiving tight end. He had productive seasons in 2005 and ’06, catching 65 passes for 891 yards and 66 for 623, respectively, and was named to the Pro Bowl after each. A broken leg kept Shockey out of the playoffs during the 2007 NFL Championship season for the Giants and he was dealt to New Orleans, where he continued to battle injuries for the next three years. He was still productive when healthy, catching 139 passes in 38 games for 1460 yards, and had a TD reception in the Super Bowl win over the Colts following the 2009 season. Shockey was released following the 2010 season and played one last year with the Carolina Panthers in 2011, where he split time with Greg Olsen. Overall, Shockey caught 547 passes for 6143 yards (11.2 avg.) and 37 touchdowns, with 371 receptions, 4228 yards, and 27 TDs coming with the Giants. He was selected to the Pro bowl four times, all with New York. Highly competitive, outspoken, and prone to controversy, he was also a talented receiver when healthy, but injuries ultimately curtailed his career.

Sure reads like just a good player who was hyped because he played in NY.

I'm not going to stop.

#bullythebully

#anotherroadiefstake