Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Mt. Rushmore of NFL tight ends.

El_KEl_K Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,093
5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
Swaye's Wigwam
Who is on your Mt Rushmore of NFL tight ends. And no, Carl Nassib or Michael Sam did not play tight end.

Comments

• Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,493
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Kelce, Gronk, Newsome, Sharpe.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,340
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Kellen Winslow

John Mackey

Tony Gonzalez

Kelce
  • Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    Founders Club

Gronk

He threw the rest out of the club

You mean...

GRONK!!

@PurpleJ
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Gronk

KW Sr.

Gonzalez

Commentary:

During the first 5 years or so of his career, Shockey was a fucking monster but injuries caused a sharp decline.

Everybody here hates him, but Winslow was a fucking Alpha. Race is right. That combo of Fouts to Winslow was unfair for their time.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Gronk

KW Sr.

Gonzalez

Commentary:

During the first 5 years or so of his career, Shockey was a fucking monster but injuries caused a sharp decline.

Everybody here hates him, but Winslow was a fucking Alpha. Race is right. That combo of Fouts to Winslow was unfair for their time.

You can’t help yourself to not mention a Hurricane. Shockey isn’t even top 10. No 1,000 yard season. Most TD’s he had was 7. Greg Olsen had a better and longer career. I know you mentioned injuries and aren’t wrong, but he was never anything more than a good player. He was hyped up because he played in NYC, was loud and brash, and was a badass.

The missing guy from these lists is Antonio Gates.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Gronk

KW Sr.

Gonzalez

Commentary:

You can’t help yourself to not mention a Hurricane. Shockey isn’t even top 10. No 1,000 yard season. Most TD’s he had was 7. Greg Olsen had a better and longer career. I know you mentioned injuries and aren’t wrong, but he was never anything more than a good player. He was hyped up because he played in NYC, was loud and brash, and was a badass.

Gates is probably ahead of Kelce

Kelce should end up better
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,493
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Gates was my #5. I may be wrong, but I don't remember him much as a blocker. The other guys did both.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Gronk
    Kelce
    Gates
    Gonzalez

Shockey not close.
  • Options
    Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,915
    Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Founders Club
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Kelce
    Gonzalez
    Winslow
    Sharpe
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Gronk

KW Sr.

Gonzalez

Commentary:

Never much subtlety with you when it comes to ex-Miami players. By your reasoning, Bruener would be scored as a shit TE and a major bust, neither of which is true, because his receiving stats were absolute garbage, never even reaching 250 yards his entire career. I don't think you appreciate what Shockey was early in his career. And as for stats, his rookie year he was 100 yards from 1,000. The dude was large, physical as fuck and had good hands. There's a good article summing him up very well:

Jeremy Shockey didn’t script a Canton-bound career with records galore, but no offensive player helped return the league to its bloody roots like him. He was an unapologetic savage of a tight end who treated NFL defenders like that poor fool’s face at every opportunity. For everyone in the sport — teammates, coaches, announcers, fans — it was a foreign sight. As NFL offenses justifiably chased the next Tony Gonzalez, right here was a throwback who didn’t merely seek contact. He needed it. Like oxygen. Shockey was the closest the sport had seen to Mike Ditka … with a twist.

https://nypost.com/2022/10/16/inside-jeremy-shockeys-wild-giants-tenure-this-dudes-crazy/

If greatest TEs have to have Gonzalez' receiving stats, then so be it. I didn't put him on the list. I said he was nails early on, and he was, and had a sharp decline with injury. His combination of physicality and good hands could have easily sent him on to a HOF-worthy career. Mark Bavaro had exactly one 1,000 yard season - 1,001 to be exact. Most people think he was better than "just good".

The leg break he suffered was brutal and he was never the same. But he absolutely broke into the league like a fucking bull and that wasn't hype. He was a lot better than good. If he wasn't, then Bruener was a POS. Pick your poison.

Your "hyped because" line, which you use a lot, is intellectually lazy. What good player isn't hyped. Who cares?
  • Options
    Bob_C said:

Mark Bavarro

Only one 1,000 yard season. Just a good player hyped by playing in New York.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Bob_C said:

Mark Bavarro

And one Monday night game against the Niners where he carried most of the Niner defense down the field

People forget what an influence a good game on Monday night had on perception back in the day
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Bob_C said:

Mark Bavarro

And one Monday night game against the Niners where he carried most of the Niner defense down the field

People forget what an influence a good game on Monday night had on perception back in the day
    Monday Night Hype.

As you know, I can't help but mention an Aberdeen Bobcat, but still ... we? used to compare Bruener to Bavaro BITD. Similar builds, similar tuffness, similar 'type' of TE. We?, a bunch of Harbor Tuff DWAGs, came to that conclusion when, in MB's freshman year on the road against SC, he pushed big Willie McGinest in the chest and knocked him backwards while McGinest was jabbering in his face. We're watching and were like, "that mother fucker was playing in high school last year, and he just faces up to WM in LA. TUFF!!!!! No offense, but can you imagine Westover pushing WM in the chest and knocking him backwards out of his face? As a true freshman? Fuck off everyone: MB was a tuff sumbitch.

Of course, neither played in the kind of offense that will allow a TE to rattle off 1,000 yard seasons like Kelce does; so I guess they were just ok. Fuck.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Bob_C said:

Mark Bavarro

Monday Night Hype.

As you know, I can't help but mention an Aberdeen Bobcat, but still ... we? used to compare Bruener to Bavaro BITD. Similar builds, similar tuffness, similar 'type' of TE. We?, a bunch of Harbor Tuff DWAGs, came to that conclusion when, in MB's freshman year on the road against SC, he pushed big Willie McGinest in the chest and knocked him backwards while McGinest was jabbering in his face. We're watching and were like, "that mother fucker was playing in high school last year, and he just faces up to WM in LA. TUFF!!!!! No offense, but can you imagine Westover pushing WM in the chest and knocking him backwards out of his face? As a true freshman? Fuck off everyone: MB was a tuff sumbitch.

Of course, neither played in the kind of offense that will allow a TE to rattle off 1,000 yard seasons like Kelce does; so I guess they were just ok. Fuck.
    Bavarro's career also began and ended roughly 18 years before Shockey's did. It was a different era where TE's were asked to do different things.

Unlike Shockey Bavarro is in the Giants Ring of Honor. Neither are in the HOF though it wouldn't shock me if Bavarro got in at some point though the Veterans' Committee.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    dnc said:

Bob_C said:

Mark Bavarro

Monday Night Hype.

Bavarro's career also began and ended roughly 18 years before Shockey's did. It was a different era where TE's were asked to do different things.

Unlike Shockey Bavarro is in the Giants Ring of Honor. Neither are in the HOF though it wouldn't shock me if Bavarro got in at some point though the Veterans' Committee.
    You're missing the point. I'm not nominating him for the list. The point is that it's retarded to describe him as "just a good hyped-up player", which is what's on the table. That's hater nonsense.

They don't give 1st Team All Pro, ROTY and 4 pro bowls in 5 years to "just good" players because of hype. If we're playing that game, I can rip any player down by just saying he's "hyped". Come on. It's lazy and you know it.

If he misses that brutal leg brake and continues at the pace he was at, he has a very nice chance at a HOF career. After the Toomer incident, he was never the same.

As for Bavaro, plenty of TEs of his era were pass catchers and expected to be so: Keith Jackson, Shannon Sharpe, Ben Coates, Todd Christensen, Jay Novacek, etc. There are others. No doubt that today's TEs play in offenses where it's a premium. But it's not like Shockey retired last week. His NFL career began 22 years ago.

Ring of Honor. First, dumb. Second, Wellington Mara LOVED Jeremy Shockey, so much so that he wanted to see him while on his death bed. Weird affection for just an OK player. If he were alive, Shockey is in the ring. But he died, and Shockey famously did not get along with Mara junior, who is in charge now. Who cares?
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,866
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

dnc said:

Bob_C said:

Mark Bavarro

Monday Night Hype.

You're missing the point. I'm not nominating him for the list. The point is that it's retarded to describe him as "just a good hyped-up player", which is what's on the table. That's hater nonsense.

They don't give 1st Team All Pro, ROTY and 4 pro bowls in 5 years to "just good" players because of hype. If we're playing that game, I can rip any player down by just saying he's "hyped". Come on. It's lazy and you know it.

If he misses that brutal leg brake and continues at the pace he was at, he has a very nice chance at a HOF career. After the Toomer incident, he was never the same.

As for Bavaro, plenty of TEs of his era were pass catchers and expected to be so: Keith Jackson, Shannon Sharpe, Ben Coates, Todd Christensen, Jay Novacek, etc. There are others. No doubt that today's TEs play in offenses where it's a premium. But it's not like Shockey retired last week. His NFL career began 22 years ago.

Ring of Honor. First, dumb. Second, Wellington Mara LOVED Jeremy Shockey, so much so that he wanted to see him while on his death bed. Weird affection for just an OK player. If he were alive, Shockey is in the ring. But he died, and Shockey famously did not get along with Mara junior, who is in charge now. Who cares?
    Maybe they were lovers.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,840
    edited October 2023

Gronk

KW Sr.

Gonzalez

Commentary:

Because Taylor Swift is such a performance enhancer?!?

And where is the love for DITKA! ?!?! Single bar facemask getting out and block Nitschke. C'mon!

• Options
    edited October 2023

Gronk

KW Sr.

Gonzalez

Commentary:

Because Taylor Swift is such a performance enhancer?!?

And where is the love for DITKA! ?!?! Single bar facemask getting out and block Nitschke. C'mon!

Only had one 1,000 yd. season. Good player, but mostly hyped because he was a badass and played on da Bears.

Re Kelce, he's probably better than Gronk other than TDs:

GRONKOWSKI
    Receptions: 621
    Yards: 9,286
    Touchdowns: 92

KELCE
    Receptions: 814
    Yards: 10,344
    Touchdowns: 69

Gronk was a better blocker, but that's not important.