Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

PM to the MOPAR bonios of the board

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,952
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
You don't show up to take Taylor on a hot date in a Plymouth Road Runner.

https://www.torquenews.com/3768/why-1970-chevrolet-chevelle-ss-most-famous-car-america

Comments

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,623
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

https://www.torquenews.com/3768/why-1970-chevrolet-chevelle-ss-most-famous-car-america

Chevelle = boring.

Give me any 440 6-pack or hemi Mopar from 68-70.

Muscle cars were big when I was a kid. There were organized drag races on a local highway when I was real young. My dad always had a junker hot rod for those. As an early teen there were still a handful of old red necks sneaking races in on the same stretch, my dad, his brother, and a few others.

*We? had a lime green, 70 Charger R/T with a stock 440 mag that was fast but mainly just pretty. 14 second quarter mile car. Probably a $100k car now but he gave it to my older brother who totaled it within weeks. Dad had an ugly 68 Road Runner, also a 440 but not stock, that ran consistent mid-upper 12 second quarter miles on street tires. That thing ate Chevelles and any other slobby 454 cars for breakfast, including a 454 Gremlin that one of his friends built.

The toughest competition around here was from a 427 Cougar and a 327 Camaro (3-2 barrel carb setup) pumping out close to 400hp. Also my uncle had a 65 Satellite coupe with a fire breathing 383 that really needed slicks or it would've beaten all of them. He couldn't get it to hook up at all in street tires but it ran in the 11s at PIR.

If there was one non Mopar muscle car I'd be tempted by it would be a 427 Camaro or maybe a Buick Gran Sport (for the obscure cool factor). Or maybe a Shelby GT 500 with a 427. The 427 was the best muscle car motor created by both GM and Ford.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,312
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Hell yeah it's all about the Mopar. The Pacifica Hybrid is a real panty dropper! Ford and Chevy don't want any of that smoke.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

Chevelle = boring.

Muscle cars were big when I was a kid. There were organized drag races on a local highway when I was real young. My dad always had a junker hot rod for those. As an early teen there were still a handful of old red necks sneaking races in on the same stretch, my dad, his brother, and a few others.

*We? had a lime green, 70 Charger R/T with a stock 440 mag that was fast but mainly just pretty. 14 second quarter mile car. Probably a $100k car now but he gave it to my older brother who totaled it within weeks. Dad had an ugly 68 Road Runner, also a 440 but not stock, that ran consistent mid-upper 12 second quarter miles on street tires. That thing ate Chevelles and any other slobby 454 cars for breakfast, including a 454 Gremlin that one of his friends built.

The toughest competition around here was from a 427 Cougar and a 327 Camaro (3-2 barrel carb setup) pumping out close to 400hp. Also my uncle had a 65 Satellite coupe with a fire breathing 383 that really needed slicks or it would've beaten all of them. He couldn't get it to hook up at all in street tires but it ran in the 11s at PIR.

If there was one non Mopar muscle car I'd be tempted by it would be a 427 Camaro or maybe a Buick Gran Sport (for the obscure cool factor). Or maybe a Shelby GT 500 with a 427. The 427 was the best muscle car motor created by both GM and Ford.
    My all time favorite American muscle / sports car is the 1967 Stingray with a 427.

My Dad had a 1966 Chevelle SS with a 396 followed by a 1967 Camaro Z28 which as a 302 I think?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

Chevelle = boring.

My all time favorite American muscle / sports car is the 1967 Stingray with a 427.

My Dad had a 1966 Chevelle SS with a 396 followed by a 1967 Camaro Z28 which as a 302 I think?
    The 67 Stingray with the 427 tri- power setup (435 hp) would actually be the holy grail for me too.

Hell yeah it's all about the Mopar. The Pacifica Hybrid is a real panty dropper! Ford and Chevy don't want any of that smoke.

For real.

My mother has a Town and Cuntry from some time in the 90s that is still her grocery getter. Nearing 300k and has had one head gasket job.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,522
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    After high school I bought a 1987 Buick Turbo T Limited (same thing as the Grand National). It had about 120k miles on it, but ran strong and was pretty clean and that was my daily for about 3 years until moving for school. One of my two Dad's has had dozens of Mopars over the years, but also had a 1987 Buick Turbo T Limited when I was growing up. Sold that, and he had about a 4-5 year break from the turbo Buicks before getting a low-mileage 1987 Buick Grand National, which he still has to this day. Lots of memories racing his and my cars, cruising, etc. There really is not a better bang for the buck muscle car with how easy it is to get those cars into the 11's or quicker and staying totally "streetable." If I could afford a GNX I'd buy one, but the ship has long sailed on those cars. Still hope to get back into a Grand National at some point - maybe I can inherit the old man's at some point if he hangs on to it.

Cool story, bro.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

After high school I bought a 1987 Buick Turbo T Limited (same thing as the Grand National). It had about 120k miles on it, but ran strong and was pretty clean and that was my daily for about 3 years until moving for school. One of my two Dad's has had dozens of Mopars over the years, but also had a 1987 Buick Turbo T Limited when I was growing up. Sold that, and he had about a 4-5 year break from the turbo Buicks before getting a low-mileage 1987 Buick Grand National, which he still has to this day. Lots of memories racing his and my cars, cruising, etc. There really is not a better bang for the buck muscle car with how easy it is to get those cars into the 11's or quicker and staying totally "streetable." If I could afford a GNX I'd buy one, but the ship has long sailed on those cars. Still hope to get back into a Grand National at some point - maybe I can inherit the old man's at some point if he hangs on to it.

Cool story, bro.

You are the most Brier poaster in the history of the internet.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,312
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

chuck said:

Chevelle = boring.

The 67 Stingray with the 427 tri- power setup (435 hp) would actually be the holy grail for me too.

For real.

My mother has a Town and Cuntry from some time in the 90s that is still her grocery getter. Nearing 300k and has had one head gasket job.
    Pull its transmission and donate it to a museum. Or better: donate it to science. The world needs to discover what accidental magic made it last more than 80K.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

chuck said:

Chevelle = boring.

For real.

Pull its transmission and donate it to a museum. Or better: donate it to science. The world needs to discover what accidental magic made it last more than 80K.
    It really is a miracle. That thing is a pile. She still likes it though.
  • Options
    Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,867
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    To me, it's not about a specific brand. It's about the model. 1970 Chevelle (or any of the GM models of that style) is cool. So are late 1960s fastback Mustangs. So are 1970 Challengers. AC Cobras are cool, too, and i couldn't tell you a damn thing about AC, if that's even the company name.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,522
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Cool story, bro.

You are the most Brier poaster in the history of the internet.
    Modern turbo performance all traces back to this car. Nothing like it before 1986 when they became cold-air cars.