Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Dillion Johnson looks really

Comments

• SECDAWGSECDAWG Member Posts: 5,004

Slow and a plodder. Appears to stop his feet when hit.

Hopefully Will is the guy.

Guess you missed what the Pirate said…

In other news, he scored.

But whatever. Hope he somehow helps WA.
  • BroadcastingDawgBroadcastingDawg Member Posts: 1,368
    Apparently Richard Newton is dead to DeBoer... will always wonder what he did to get so far in the dog house.
  • godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,461 Founders Club

Apparently Richard Newton is dead to DeBoer... will always wonder what he did to get so far in the dog house.

You know it's bad when he's behind Adams, but yet is out there on kickoff duty.

Newton is in the dog's dogs dog outhouse w/ KD.
  • godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,461 Founders Club

I'm old enough to remember how bad the running game was after week 1 last year. Couldn't convert a 3rd and 1 to save their lives.

Lack of running game and a corner who can’t cover or tackle will cost this team 2-3 wins
    Corner play was way better than last year. The entire defense was basically helpless at the beginning of 2022.

At RB they really need somebody who can make the necessary short yards. Cam Davis scored a lot of TDs last year in that role.
    Corner play was surprise highlight of day today. Guys were on receivers and getting hands in way. Dom and Asa are who we thought they were as Safeties. LB's are jags. DT's will be able to do what's asked of them.

Edge play was not good to put it mildly, and running game between tackles was abysmal just as it was most of last year.

• HairyBallsDawgHairyBallsDawg Member Posts: 1,034
    jecornel said:

Newton returning kicks is truly bizarre.

The coaches expect RBs that can catch passes and pass block. Not saying Rich can't, so don't twist.
  • NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729

jecornel said:

The coaches expect RBs that can catch passes and pass block. Not saying Rich can't, so don't twist.
    Fuck that. Corey Dillion was not the greatest receiver unless he was wide open. Pass pro decent. Give Newton the ball up the middle. It really won’t take away from Grubb’s passing game to feed dick the ball 5 times a game and will keep the defense honest. It was criminal underuse of a man playing among boys.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,658 Founders Club

jecornel said:

Fuck that. Corey Dillion was not the greatest receiver unless he was wide open. Pass pro decent. Give Newton the ball up the middle. It really won’t take away from Grubb’s passing game to feed dick the ball 5 times a game and will keep the defense honest. It was criminal underuse of a man playing among boys.
    Maybe by NOT using Fig shows how Grubb is sandbagging Tulsa
  • NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729

jecornel said:

Hopefully he is sandbagging Michigan State who will sell out to stop the pass.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,658 Founders Club

jecornel said:

Hopefully he is sandbagging Michigan State who will sell out to stop the pass.
    Let's hope the Spartan coaches don't spend time pouring over our posts
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,868 Founders Club
  • DawgDaze71DawgDaze71 Member Posts: 708
    I wasn't big on Johnson as a runner based on his Miss St footage. I saw an average back that had good hands.

Nixon has a burst but he's like the Beavs Damien Martinez ... in that you can't give him the rock 20+ a game all season like you would with a War Daddy.

I'm interested in seeing Tybo and more Newton. Week 1 had a lot of bad fumbles (Looking at you Nebraska) so lets phase Tybo during game that's not so critical.

What I do like about Nixon and Johnson is their pass catching and I think that's a talent we need. If they load the box and don't account for the RB in space I have confidence that both will catch the pigskin with regularity.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 15,497 Swaye's Wigwam
    godawgst said:

I'm old enough to remember how bad the running game was after week 1 last year. Couldn't convert a 3rd and 1 to save their lives.

Lack of running game and a corner who can’t cover or tackle will cost this team 2-3 wins
    Corner play was way better than last year. The entire defense was basically helpless at the beginning of 2022.

At RB they really need somebody who can make the necessary short yards. Cam Davis scored a lot of TDs last year in that role.
    Corner play was surprise highlight of day today. Guys were on receivers and getting hands in way. Dom and Asa are who we thought they were as Safeties. LB's are jags. DT's will be able to do what's asked of them.

Edge play was not good to put it mildly, and running game between tackles was abysmal just as it was most of last year.

Yeah, defense looked way worse last year in the opener. Shitty angles and sloppy tackling. They got better as the season went on.

I saw a lot less of that this year. They looked like the equivalent of week 6 or so last year. Corners made some real plays.

LB's were forgettable.

Defensive line was playing contain all day so hard to judge. Hopefully they'll look a lot better against Tulsa. If they don't then I'll start to worry.

Atbs Penix is amazing. The defense only needs to be opportunistic not great.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,612 Swaye's Wigwam

godawgst said:

Yeah, defense looked way worse last year in the opener. Shitty angles and sloppy tackling. They got better as the season went on.

I saw a lot less of that this year. They looked like the equivalent of week 6 or so last year. Corners made some real plays.

LB's were forgettable.

Defensive line was playing contain all day so hard to judge. Hopefully they'll look a lot better against Tulsa. If they don't then I'll start to worry.

Couple turnovers and not giving up 90% 3rd down conversions makes all the difference.

With the new clock rules they have to find a way to get off the field during conference play in the same way they did yesterday. A lot of that was bailed out by bad receivers/drops but we were forcing their QB to get the ball out quick.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 15,497 Swaye's Wigwam
    haie said:

godawgst said:

LB's were forgettable.

Couple turnovers and not giving up 90% 3rd down conversions makes all the difference.

With the new clock rules they have to find a way to get off the field during conference play in the same way they did yesterday. A lot of that was bailed out by bad receivers/drops but we were forcing their QB to get the ball out quick.
    Some of that was also the receivers hearing footsteps after a few good hits. Nothing like the Perermen D but good enough for effect.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,052 Standard Supporter
    haie said:

godawgst said:

LB's were forgettable.

The db's rarely put their hands on balls at all last year. Yesterday was way better. Many TD's didn't even have the db's show up in the screen.

That said I still don't trust the defense. But it was better.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,612 Swaye's Wigwam

haie said:

godawgst said:

LB's were forgettable.

The db's rarely put their hands on balls at all last year. Yesterday was way better. Many TD's didn't even have the db's show up in the screen.

That said I still don't trust the defense. But it was better.
    Cautious optimism is reasonable.

Expecting to never have a game like ASU/UCLA is somewhat reasonable.

Otherwise get rid of Morrell and possibly Inge.

Although it's still fresh in my mind that they held Texas to a field goal on the road. Muhammad is a god send. We are fucked without him.
  • WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,363 Swaye's Wigwam
    Johnson's debut reminded me a lot of Giles Jackson's where Jackson was supposed to be a fast guy then looked slower than Montana LBs on kickoffs. The RBs overall looked really good at getting tackled.
  • HairyBallsDawgHairyBallsDawg Member Posts: 1,034

jecornel said:

The thing is, if you bring in a RB for a play... that the opposition knows is only good at running, then you've just given away your play call. See how that works?