Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Most pro football hall of famers

Comments

• Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,951
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited August 2023
    Miami will close quickly on Buck and Panther and perhaps catch Michigan here shortly. Three were on the '23 ballot: Hester, Wayne and Johnson. Two of those make it in almost certainly. Still an outside chance with Wilfork, though (amazingly) that position is a tough climb.

Too bad Jerome Brown and Sean Taylor were killed while in their prime. Both would have been likely candidates. Frank Gore is coming up on the rotation as well.
  • Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,093
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Fuck Frank Gore to the HoF. It's not a lifetim achievement award. There wasn't a DC in NFL history who said "damn we've got to stop Frank Gore to have a chance at winning the game today". Wilfork should 100% be in, and I think Haloti should get consideration, but those dudes get screwed over.
  • Options
    Purple_PillsPurple_Pills Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,821
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Pitt has two HOFers in the pipeline. Larry Fitzgerald and Aaron Donald.
  • Options
    Purple_PillsPurple_Pills Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,821
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Also an upcoming +1 to Michigan for Brady.
  • Options
    dtd said:

Fuck Frank Gore to the HoF. It's not a lifetim achievement award. There wasn't a DC in NFL history who said "damn we've got to stop Frank Gore to have a chance at winning the game today". Wilfork should 100% be in, and I think Haloti should get consideration, but those dudes get screwed over.

I don't burn a lot of gas on Gore. It's fine with me either way. The arguments against are consistent, but I think if I thought about it enough I'd be able to come up with several players who were never really and truly "THE BEST" at their position at any point in their career. Nobody need bring up Barry Sanders or Jim Brown ... generational talents. Was Curtis Martin really a better back? Eh, again, not interested in that debate. His credentials are what they are, and they're not nothing: 3rd all time, played on shit teams and during his prime was the player opposing defenses keyed on. Played on two rebuilt knees and always showed up for work at a position with an average shelf-life of 3 to 4 years. If that's not enough, then it's not enough.
  • Options

Miami will close quickly on Buck and Panther and perhaps catch Michigan here shortly. Three were on the '23 ballot: Hester, Wayne and Johnson. Two of those make it in almost certainly. Still an outside chance with Wilfork, though (amazingly) that position is a tough climb.

Too bad Jerome Brown and Sean Taylor were killed while in their prime. Both would have been likely candidates. Frank Gore is coming up on the rotation as well.
    Correction: Wilfork was a semifinalist for '23.
  • Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,093
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

dtd said:

I don't burn a lot of gas on Gore. It's fine with me either way. The arguments against are consistent, but I think if I thought about it enough I'd be able to come up with several players who were never really and truly "THE BEST" at their position at any point in their career. Nobody need bring up Barry Sanders or Jim Brown ... generational talents. Was Curtis Martin really a better back? Eh, again, not interested in that debate. His credentials are what they are, and they're not nothing: 3rd all time, played on shit teams and during his prime was the player opposing defenses keyed on. Played on two rebuilt knees and always showed up for work at a position with an average shelf-life of 3 to 4 years. If that's not enough, then it's not enough.
    "dominant at your position during your era" used to be the criteria. Now it's "average 4ypc for 11 years".
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    dtd said:

dtd said:

"dominant at your position during your era" used to be the criteria. Now it's "average 4ypc for 11 years".
    Be careful with stats. I've learned over the years that people I assumed had out-of-this world stats ... don't. Walter Payton had 4.4 yds. per carry. Emmitt Smith 4.2 Tomlinson, 4.3 Frank Gore 4.3. I'm not saying Gore is Payton, Tomlinson, or Smiff, so don't twist. But that stat ain't it. Some of those guys ran behind great O lines for at least part of their careers - Smith's Cowboys O-line was all-world - while Gore did not. I know what he was, but I think you and others tend to downplay him a little. It's not like playing and getting carries was all up to him. This is the NFL. He had to be good enough to get on the field all those years and get those carries, and apparently he was, even though fresh meat at RB is $0.10 / per pound and can be found anywhere. Eric Dickerson? No. Curtis Martin? Yes.