Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Caple's latest podcast

haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,511
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
Swaye's Wigwam
edited August 2023 in Hardcore Husky Board
They just perpetuate that Jen Cohen actually did anything at UW.

SC can take someone from UW (disagree that DeBoer would ever go there vs Michigan or Penn St, but that's a different discussion), and Jen Cohen can be a worthless AD that they completely miscalculated in taking her. Both things can be true.

What did Cohen actually do?

Stadium? Had nothing to do with her.

Petersen? She gets no credit.

Adidas deal? She was barely involved in, and was a simple "they are paying us more"

DeBoer? Petersen and Tedford along with boosters and other consultants picked him while she sat in the corner with her 3 candidates.

B1G? She had nothing to do with that.

People have no clue what an AD actually does. "She's been here 25 years. I loved her!" says Danny.

No one can say what she ever accomplished here, basically they just love her because she grew up a fan and was a time server. Any successful company knows how useless a time server is, which is why UW didn't give a fuck about this. Company loyalty only means something if you are actually valuable, and she is neither valuable nor loyal with this move.

Comments

• Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,985
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited August 2023
    haie said:

SC can take someone from UW (disagree that DeBoer would ever go there vs Michigan or Penn St, but that's a different discussion), and Jen Cohen can be a worthless AD that they completely miscalculated in taking her. Both things can be true.

Adidas deal? She was barely involved in, and was a simple "they are paying us more"

DeBoer? Petersen and Tedford along with boosters and other consultants picked him while she sat in the corner with her 3 candidates.

People have no clue what an AD actually does. "She's been here 25 years. I loved her!" says Danny.

No one can say what she ever accomplished here, basically they just love her because she grew up a fan and was a time server. Any successful company knows how useless a time server is, which is why UW didn't give a fuck about this. Company loyalty only means something if you are actually valuable, and she is neither valuable nor loyal with this move.

They could do worse. She understood football was important. She did nothing to help it though. Biggest flaw is she doesn't understand leverage and negotiation. I don't have the problem with hiring lake or hop (unless mussleman was available and I cannot remember). The problem is the horrible buyouts in their contract. That is something an AD should step in and never let happen.

Basically she was a net negative, this university has messed it up way worse before though. This will be telling on who they hire.
  • Options
    doogvilledoogville Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,183
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    That's on you for listening to such a worthless podcast. Caple has nothing interesting to say. Absolutely someone who is chasing access vs doing real commentary/journalism. The dawgman model.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

haie said:

They could do worse. She understood football was important. She did nothing to help it though. Biggest flaw is she doesn't understand leverage and negotiation. I don't have the problem with hiring lake or hop (unless mussleman was available and I cannot remember). The problem is the horrible buyouts in their contract. That is something an AD should step in and never let happen.

Basically she was a net negative, this university has messed it up way worse before though. This will be telling on who they hire.
    She fucked up the football hire and it doesn't sound like she considered all the options in 2019.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    doogville said:

That's on you for listening to such a worthless podcast. Caple has nothing interesting to say. Absolutely someone who is chasing access vs doing real commentary/journalism. The dawgman model.

Completely agree.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    I give her credit, she was an addition by subtraction
  • Options
    Fear_BonerFear_Boner Member Posts: 756
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,516
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    whlinder said:

This whole “she grew up a fan, she sucked off Dong James, she’s was here forever” shit needs to stop with all these retards.

She clearly didn’t care about her fan loyalty. She went to fucking USC! (Plus handing the conference title game to Oregon). That clearly went out the window for her as she climbed the ranks. Respek da bidness. It’s fine. Her childhood loyalties became independent of her job in her own mind. Which is the right move in her position. But Stop attaching them together. Christ.

I get it’s a nice cudgel to use against Jen but it’s also funny because

1. No one gives a shit about that conference “title”, even Oregon fans, and most people don’t even remember it at all because it was such a fucked up year
    2. UW fans acting like that would have been a deserved title on their end after Jimmy pulled the most pussy move in the history of cfb by bailing on the de facto north title in Eugene

No one deserved it. Was funny to see usc lose in LA though
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,573
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    ntxduck said:

whlinder said:

This whole “she grew up a fan, she sucked off Dong James, she’s was here forever” shit needs to stop with all these retards.

She clearly didn’t care about her fan loyalty. She went to fucking USC! (Plus handing the conference title game to Oregon). That clearly went out the window for her as she climbed the ranks. Respek da bidness. It’s fine. Her childhood loyalties became independent of her job in her own mind. Which is the right move in her position. But Stop attaching them together. Christ.

I get it’s a nice cudgel to use against Jen but it’s also funny because

1. No one gives a shit about that conference “title”, even Oregon fans, and most people don’t even remember it at all because it was such a fucked up year
    2. UW fans acting like that would have been a deserved title on their end after Jimmy pulled the most pussy move in the history of cfb by bailing on the de facto north title in Eugene

No one deserved it. Was funny to see usc lose in LA though
    I wanted to HANG THE BANNER!!!!
  • Options
    CatGutCatGut Member Posts: 83
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited August 2023

haie said:

I think that Caple and Danny give Cohen more credit than she deserves, but in fairness to the points Caple actually made on the latest pod, he was highlighting her ability to fundraise and get money for football when needed. Meaning, he wasn't saying the stadium was her thing, it was her strength at fundraising associated with that project that she gets credit for. It wasn't the hiring of the football coaches, it was going to bat for them to, for example, get Grubb a ton of money twice in a short time span. Caple also gave her credit for axing Lake when she needed to. It's objectively true that some people are bad at fund raising, and Jen (allegedly) was not, and it is objectively true that UW has a very high assistant coaching salary pool as compared to other major college football programs.

Caple, and especially Danny, don't appear to focus on the negatives to balance out the positives. I'm fine accepting the above items as wins for Cohen, but they have to be balanced against negatives in the context of how much it matters that she's gone. As an aside, I think Danny is just overly optimistic in his view of past events in general. Either this past week or the prior one, he said something to the effect that nobody had a problem with the Ty Willingham hiring at the time. Maybe I'm misremembering, but I don't recall any positive reaction stronger than hoping for the best at the time.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,095
    Founders Club

CatGut said:

haie said:

I think that Caple and Danny give Cohen more credit than she deserves, but in fairness to the points Caple actually made on the latest pod, he was highlighting her ability to fundraise and get money for football when needed. Meaning, he wasn't saying the stadium was her thing, it was her strength at fundraising associated with that project that she gets credit for. It wasn't the hiring of the football coaches, it was going to bat for them to, for example, get Grubb a ton of money twice in a short time span. Caple also gave her credit for axing Lake when she needed to. It's objectively true that some people are bad at fund raising, and Jen (allegedly) was not, and it is objectively true that UW has a very high assistant coaching salary pool as compared to other major college football programs.

Caple, and especially Danny, don't appear to focus on the negatives to balance out the positives. I'm fine accepting the above items as wins for Cohen, but they have to be balanced against negatives in the context of how much it matters that she's gone. As an aside, I think Danny is just overly optimistic in his view of past events in general. Either this past week or the prior one, he said something to the effect that nobody had a problem with the Ty Willingham hiring at the time. Maybe I'm misremembering, but I don't recall any positive reaction stronger than hoping for the best at the time.
    I hate it that people are giving Cohen credit for axing Lake when Caple got transcripts of her text messages with AMC and she fucking said he wasn’t getting fired if he apologized for the Ruperake incident. I’m obvious paraphrasing but that the fucking gist of it.
    I also constantly hear what a great fundraiser she was. But then why did our financial picture grow bleaker with each passing year?

Someone on here will argue that Covid was the reason, but that was only part of the issue.
  • Options

CatGut said:

haie said:

I hate it that people are giving Cohen credit for axing Lake when Caple got transcripts of her text messages with AMC and she fucking said he wasn’t getting fired if he apologized for the Ruperake incident. I’m obvious paraphrasing but that the fucking gist of it.
    I also constantly hear what a great fundraiser she was. But then why did our financial picture grow bleaker with each passing year?

Someone on here will argue that Covid was the reason, but that was only part of the issue.
    I have exactly zero firsthand knowledge of her skill as a fundraiser. More broadly, though, I've always thought that fundraising for big capital projects wasn't about raising the full funding for the project. The goal is to raise enough to get access to the debt needed to cover the full project. If the revenue isn't there to service that debt, then you can end up with a situation where you have a good fundraiser and bad financials at the same time. Supposedly the debt obligations specific to Husky Stadium are the primary driver of UW's budget problems.
  • Options

CatGut said:

haie said:

Caple's phrase was that she fired him not for hitting a player, but for bad vibes. That's a paraphrase, but I think it's pretty close to the original, and I assume it's meant to address what Cohen presumably saw as Lake's insubordination in not apologizing. I have to believe Caple's assuming that the median AD wouldn't have fired Lake, regardless of apology, otherwise it makes no sense to give Cohen credit for the firing. I could see that being true (outside the SEC, where he'd have been fired for his on field performance anyway).

I'm on record elsewhere on this board as saying I don't think losing Cohen is a big deal, so I'm not trying to go to bat for her. However, I do think Caple is a good resource to have for Husky fans, so if his opinions are going to come in for criticism, I think it's worth presenting them as accurately and in context as possible. It's still perfectly fine to think the opinions aren't any good, even in context.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,095
    Founders Club
    CatGut said:

CatGut said:

haie said:

Caple's phrase was that she fired him not for hitting a player, but for bad vibes. That's a paraphrase, but I think it's pretty close to the original, and I assume it's meant to address what Cohen presumably saw as Lake's insubordination in not apologizing. I have to believe Caple's assuming that the median AD wouldn't have fired Lake, regardless of apology, otherwise it makes no sense to give Cohen credit for the firing. I could see that being true (outside the SEC, where he'd have been fired for his on field performance anyway).

I'm on record elsewhere on this board as saying I don't think losing Cohen is a big deal, so I'm not trying to go to bat for her. However, I do think Caple is a good resource to have for Husky fans, so if his opinions are going to come in for criticism, I think it's worth presenting them as accurately and in context as possible. It's still perfectly fine to think the opinions aren't any good, even in context.
    Generally speaking I like Caple. He's an asset.
  • Options
    AEBAEB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,959
    Founders Club
    I only take exception with the comments around JC’s lack of loyalty. She worked there 25 years. That’s enough. She should go somewhere else. AMC might be leveling this thing up, and if so, she needs a more dynamic AD. The SC job is horrible right now. She’s going to find out fast.