Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Noted historian weighs in

cfetters
STAFF
Posted on 20 mins, V I P, User Since 262 months ago, User Post Count: 124886
20 mins
VIP
262 months
Is it great to hear? Is it going to be great to be listed in the history books as a potential player in the demise of a Power-5 conference? Because I can see a scenario where UW and Oregon aren't looked at in glowing terms when all this shakes out. And maybe you couldn't care less about that, and that's fine. But others may care.

IMHO UW and Oregon feel like Schrödinger's teams right now; both alive and dead at the same time

cfetters
STAFF
Posted on 8 mins, V I P, User Since 262 months ago, User Post Count: 124886
8 mins
VIP
262 months

Only the most jaded Pac-12 fans are celebrating this right now IMHO. Completely eliminating decades and decades of history in a matter of days. And on top of the fact that this was set up to be arguably the best college football season in history for the conference. And more than that, UW has a legit Heisman Trophy candidate and a team worthy of playoff talk.

And it's like none of that is going to matter now. That absolutely sucks for the players and coaches that have worked ridiculously hard to get to this point. I asked Chuck Morrell about how the team tries to eliminate the outside noise when stuff like this is going on and he just said they have to focus on what they can control. That's it. They don't have a choice. But is anyone going to be paying attention now?

I doubt many are going to care about this Pac-12 season in the grand scheme. It's just going to be seen in the history books as the year the conference imploded. Everyone is already thinking about 2024, because this is now old news.

I was a history major in college; this stuff matters to me, and perhaps it matters to me more than most. If it doesn't matter to you, that's cool. I'm not judging your opinion on it.

But if you think this is a happy day for college football, I just simply disagree.

Comments

• Options
    biak1biak1 Member Posts: 3,996
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,490
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

cfetters
    STAFF
    Posted on 20 mins, V I P, User Since 262 months ago, User Post Count: 124886
    20 mins
    VIP
    262 months
    Is it great to hear? Is it going to be great to be listed in the history books as a potential player in the demise of a Power-5 conference? Because I can see a scenario where UW and Oregon aren't looked at in glowing terms when all this shakes out. And maybe you couldn't care less about that, and that's fine. But others may care.

IMHO UW and Oregon feel like Schrödinger's teams right now; both alive and dead at the same time

cfetters
    STAFF
    Posted on 8 mins, V I P, User Since 262 months ago, User Post Count: 124886
    8 mins
    VIP
    262 months

Only the most jaded Pac-12 fans are celebrating this right now IMHO. Completely eliminating decades and decades of history in a matter of days. And on top of the fact that this was set up to be arguably the best college football season in history for the conference. And more than that, UW has a legit Heisman Trophy candidate and a team worthy of playoff talk.

And it's like none of that is going to matter now. That absolutely sucks for the players and coaches that have worked ridiculously hard to get to this point. I asked Chuck Morrell about how the team tries to eliminate the outside noise when stuff like this is going on and he just said they have to focus on what they can control. That's it. They don't have a choice. But is anyone going to be paying attention now?

I doubt many are going to care about this Pac-12 season in the grand scheme. It's just going to be seen in the history books as the year the conference imploded. Everyone is already thinking about 2024, because this is now old news.

I was a history major in college; this stuff matters to me, and perhaps it matters to me more than most. If it doesn't matter to you, that's cool. I'm not judging your opinion on it.

But if you think this is a happy day for college football, I just simply disagree.

So it's UW's fault the Pac-12 leadership sucked and all the TV networks don't have money anymore and that AppleTV lowballed the conference?
  • Options
    Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,887
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    Victim-blaming
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    In other "No shit?" (patently obvious) news:

We hear about the value of other sports, the importance of academics. And yet the Big Ten, as it now gets set to gobble up Oregon and Washington — its third and fourth Pac-12 schools — has not yet invited Stanford, the best in the nation at all sports. Nor is the Big Ten rushing to pick up Cal, an elite academic institution (as is Stanford). Perhaps the Big Ten eventually takes those two schools. But not making them a priority right away, slotting them fifth and sixth on its West Coast wish list, shows what the game is really about.

Keep whining.

https://theathletic.com/4748841/2023/08/04/big-ten-realignment-washington-oregon-nil/

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Well, apparently Whitman History degrees aren't worth shit. And as a UW History major with low academis prowess (hi @creepycoug ) that's saying something.

What a sappy, cheese dick, piece of shit this slob is.

The Pac 12 IS NOT A POWER 5 WITHOUT THE LA SCHOOLS you stupid fuck.

USC's short sighted cash grab is the proximate cause of the demise of the 108 year conference. UW and UO didn't fuck over anyone, and are taking up the ass (i.e., Indiana gets more TV money than UW) just to survive.

He's so dumb he can't even take a compliment, which probably only ever happens to him when he's ordering food. When I learned he went to Whitman, I was surprised to put it mildly. I made some comment, like, "Hey, I thought you were a dumbfuck, but you went to Whitman, so that's good for you," or something. Anyway, the guy even fucked that up by saying he didn't think it was a big deal.

Hey dummy, that and your body are about the only big deals you'll ever experience in your life.
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,406
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2023
    Just when you think you’ve heard the stupidest take from Fetters, you hear something even stupider.

Don’t ever stop being you, Chris. Dumbfucks like you make assholes like me feel pretty good about ourselves.
  • Options
    EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 4,006
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Fetters is so dumb. Pup was proud he taught Fetters everything he knew.

I’m not sure why Fetters feels everyone is already focused on 2024. I’m pretty sure UW, USC, and Oregon are all excited for this season and have high hopes. If anything, more attention will be paid to be PAC 12 because teams outside of the West will be more curious about the teams joining their conference.

We had to join the Big 10. The PAC 12 without the LA schools was already irrelevant. Only a moron feels otherwise.

Sounds like technically gifted writing to me.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

Victim-blaming

tbh pac-12 did serve to get guillotined for hiring larry scoot
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,663
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

This season matters

Coaches and players love the move because it's payday baby

No one has more conference history than I do but there have been 5 different versions since I was born

And fuck the Pac 9 anyway

It wasn't a Pac anything with fucking Utah in it.