Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

So I'm at a bar

whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,293
5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
Standard Supporter
With all this streaming hawt talk thought I would ax if anyone here has ever watched a sporting event through a streaming service at a bar with @MikeDamone

Or not with @MikeDamone

I personally cannot ever recall seeing such a thing with 1 specific exception. Bars have various sports packages from their TV provider and that's what you get. Nothing streamed unless it is a super special event like a high-school football championship game in southern VA which is only available that way, and that's like a Friday afternoon or something.

The 1 exception is in my cuntry club bar they put in a bunch of new TVs during Covid, but none of them were smart TVs. Except 1. All the main TVs hooked up to Comcast, with a sports package (B1G network, Tennis Channel of course, Red Zone). One single TV, the smallest one in there and mounted in a weird location, was accidentally a smart TV. We've connected it to the Wifi and put in one of our own Prime accounts so that Thursday night NFL could at least be shown somewhere in the damn place. It's ridiculous, and laughable, but it is on in the corner on the small TV, and the patrons are the ones who do the work to turn it on.

Part of the fun of CFB is going out somewhere and having like 10 games on at once that you can watch simultaneously. But it's pretty hard to watch if the bar doesn't have the service, and I've never encountered streaming. Am I the exception or are we even more fucked?

So I'm at a bar 37 votes

Yes, I've watched streaming sports at a bar
21%
Tequillabiak1haieKaepskneebackthepackJoeEDangerously1to392831weretakendirtysouwfdawg 8 votes
No, have never seen such a thing
78%
DerekJohnsonCFetters_Nacho_LoverFire_Marshall_BillwhlinderBennyBeaverAtomicDawg79smoothdawgalumni94TheHBchuckwhatshouldicareaboutJaWarrenJaHookerEwaDawghuskyhooliganLebamDawgSourcesWilliams3theknowledgeNEsnake12BleachedAnusDawg 29 votes

Comments

• Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,500
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    NFL Thursday Night Football on Prime. At a pretty new brewery/facility though.
  • Options
    EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 3,992
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited August 2023
    It is hard enough, here, to find a bar with the P12 NW. And you think it will become routine for bars to stream P12 gaymes?
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,629
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I have never watched a sporting event via streaming anywhere that I'm aware of. It really doesn't interest me either. I'm a channel changer and the great thing about Saturdays has always been that there are 3-5 different channels to flip between. That is not going to work for me at all if I'm trying to watch a game on apple TV.

I've also never watched apple TV and probably wouldn't have even heard about it if not for following this shit show.
  • Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,549
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2023
    Got into this a bit on the pod. Unless it's a specific watch party for a specific team trying to get a game on a TV at a bar is a terrible and frequently impossible experience, even at supposed sports bars. This is even if the game is on like ABC or ESPN etc can't imagine how hard it will be if it's streaming.
  • Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,549
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Streaming also sucks in general. I swear at least 10% of the time there's some technical issue with the app. One thing too is the apps have to be specifically tailored for a model of different TVs and they aren't great about updating them or fixing bugs if it only affects a specific TV model etc. Unless they changed this.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited August 2023
    I basically brought my own Roku to a bar to watch Thursday Night Football.

And if the bar has Xfinity, they are streaming it now anyway based on how they work now.
  • Options
    coronabruincoronabruin Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,478
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I gave up on keeping track of all the streaming services and almost exclusively watch games at the bar now. That being said, I’m not going to go pay to watch somewhere and have the stream buffer or some shit. Fuck that.
  • Options
    JaWarrenJaHookerJaWarrenJaHooker Member Posts: 1,980
    Isnt NFL Sunday Ticket moving exclusively to YouTube?
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,866
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    It's cheaper to watch streaming services and drink at home.

• Options
    JaWarrenJaHookerJaWarrenJaHooker Member Posts: 1,980

It's cheaper to watch streaming services and drink at home.

No line at the bathroom either!!!!1!
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,424
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Yeah I stream directv now. Not the issue. It's great but all the games are on that one platform

I have apps for entertainment. I have Prime but I didn't even watch TNF

• Options
    BangaRangBangaRang Member Posts: 248
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    I’m hearing streaming games is the future. The PAC might even be in business when that future eventually comes maybe
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,346
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The kids dig the streaming thing. We're all a bunch of old farts and when we die out (already happening -- hi pup!), no one will give a shit about networks ...

Or college football.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,908
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Isnt NFL Sunday Ticket moving exclusively to YouTube?

I think YouTubeTV which is like Comcast, Direct TV or Dish in that they’re streaming but they’re simply streaming their lineup via the internet vs a coax connection.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

TheHB said:

The kids dig the streaming thing. We're all a bunch of old farts and when we die out (already happening -- hi pup!), no one will give a shit about networks ...

Or college football.

The kids don't watch husky football

I have apps and I stream. I stream DTV where the SEC and B1G are easily found with major networks production values

College football may indeed die. The Pac did

The big boys are making more money than ever. Not on fucking apps

It's not any more innovative than the Pac 12 network was
    Don't disagree. My attempt at equating apps to uniforms was clearly a thud.

But I do think that muffled sound -- still a ways out -- could very well be a death rattle for college football.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,424
    Swaye's Wigwam
    TheHB said:

TheHB said:

Or college football.

I have apps and I stream. I stream DTV where the SEC and B1G are easily found with major networks production values

But I do think that muffled sound -- still a ways out -- could very well be a death rattle for college football.
    The 75 year plan to have soccer replace football is working

The NFL will live. This is college balls last shot and it's not a coincidence that it's heavy on the south where pro football was late to the party

The B1G is three teams. And I see empty seats at those stadiums

• Options
    5starsareforlosers5starsareforlosers Member Posts: 62
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Agree that soccer will replace football. Jumbo athletes will be playing center back and we’ll be streaming it with no issues on 6G until we die of cancer.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

TheHB said:

TheHB said:

Or college football.

The 75 year plan to have women's soccer replace football is working

The NFL will live. This is college balls last shot and it's not a coincidence that it's heavy on the south where pro football was late to the party

The B1G is three teams. And I see empty seats at those stadiums