Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Big Ten Football: Oregon, Washington again in the rumors crosshairs

13»

Comments

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,960
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    haie said:

haie said:

haie said:

I'm surprised at the resurgence of the UW reflexive appeal to academics during a pre-season natty campaign. That usually happens when there is a feeling that big-time winning is in the rearview mirror. But once the term 'classy' re-enters the building, watch out!

I really don't have skin in this game, and if anything it's with Washington, which is clearly the better school all around, and from which I have more degrees than 99% of you. But this idea that you're comparing Stanford to the University of Montana doesn't quite hold up.

Washington reports better test scores historically, but that means nothing now because both schools are test optional. That said Washington's 25th, 50th and 75th ACT Composite of 27, 30 and 34 are better than Oregon's 24, 27 and 30. And UW's avg. admitted student GPA of 3.83 is better than Oregon's 3.76. Interestingly, though, the CDS shows the following distributions:

Oregon

Washington

Washington has more money at $99,000 per student to Oregon's $61,000 per. Neither figure is dazzling on a national level. Since Oregon broke away from the retarded State Higher Ed board, they have been fundraising (and building) like crazy. Watch out!

Class sizes will invariably favor Oregon, with some of UW's survey courses no longer fitting in Kane Hall, behind which I received my beating from 5 guys with letterman jackets. @YellowSnow knows who these guys are.

Of course, Washington is a research behemoth and outspends many, many, many universities across the country that are otherwise viewed as their academic equal or superior. Not sure what to make of that other than it's cool for UW.

Both schools are members of the AAU (Beav and Boof are not). Washington is more "spikey" with some departments ranking among the best of the best. Campus favors Washington, but then again, UW has the nicest campus in the conference and it's not really close.

This is not, to me, some issue with Oregon not being prestigious enough, and the fat and pasty people in the midwest confusing UW with Stanford. It's fun to run that narrative, but it's unlikely.

Here is the executive summary of all that word vomit: if this were an academic play, Cal and Furd get the next two spots and Oregon and Washington are afterthoughts. Football puts asses in the seats and gets the TV revenue. That's what is at issue here.

I know I am echoing the very point you made, but imagine caring about any of this for a football program.
    Right. That is the point. The related point is that the undergraduate population at Oregon isn't comprised of a bunch of retarded people while Washington has 40,000 mensa members. It's a bit closer than perhaps many assume.
    I won't get into it further but Oregon is comprised of a bunch of retarded people.

Washington is a big boy school. But there are a few retards.
    The CDS reports, which is the holy grail of this stuff, wouldn't bear that out. I think my point is that they're more than close enough. But I won't get into it further.
    Here's a list of current UO students who could survive one quarter of UW comp sci:

Okay now I'm done.
    I couldn't survive a quarter of UW comp sci.
    I probably wouldn't qualify today and would have to do applied math or whatever they're doing now when they don't make the cut. Especially as a white male.

Should have just done women's studies so I could go be a diversity officer and not give a fuck about actual work.
    I didn't take a single math course at UW.

If I recall correctly, I had to take like 4 courses that were STEM related and required a calculator. I took Astronomy 101, Macro Econ 101 and don't remember the other 2.

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited July 2023

haie said:

SECDAWG said:

I ultimately think this will happen, but that’s a BIG if things stay status quo with WA admin. Not Oregon. I think they want to compete with whoever, whatever conference, no matter even if it’s the SEC. I do not think that with WA admin. Oregon seems to be tied to WA like OU has been to TX. That’s Jmo.

Whatever WA may do, I think OR may do. Unless they sit on the pot for too long.

Well that goes without saying. As far as universities go (which is what matters to the decision makers) Oregon isn't even on the same planet as UW. They are Oregon State with a pro sports owner and the B1G knows that. Their academics has been evaluated and called into question numerous times during this whole thing, whereas Washington's research revenue is greater than every other school except for Michigan.
    The B1G long term strategy is to build a classier more high-minded super conference alternative to the meathead SEC. Treating the student athlete with a more blue state value system.

They can actually build a national coast to coast football and sports brand of mostly reputable institutions. If they get ND, UW, NC, etc. they start to really challenge for the #1 super conference spot on the field and obviously with the academic prestige.

It’s about synergy of brands and shaping the destiny of elite D-1 sports from the perspective of elite academia.

You heard it here first.
    You're going to have to explain Nebraska to me then. Rutgers, Maryland and Indiana are a bit of a push on "elite academics" as well. YMMV.
    Indiana is absolutely a highly respected research institution, Maryland is also far and above the average SEC school.

It’s not a perfect fit and it’s about both sports and academics and where they meet, culture and Tv economics.

ND is not an elite research institution but they would be admitted immediately and are absolutely a culture fit for the B1G, not to mention a classy institution.

Also Nebraska, etc. we’re admitted prior to the most recent round of restructuring hth.

NIL, and the ut, ou, usc, ucla, reshuffling is the sea change that alters the logic of everything moving forward.

There’s no chance a Rutgers would be added in the new climate.
    I mostly forgot what you wrote after "classy" and "culture". I used to hear this a lot about another program I follow. I don't believe in that shit because I'm a real American.

But just for fun, I looked at the NSF research expenditure rankings. Indiana is ranked #40. Highly respected indeed. ASU is #42 and Arizona is #36. Also highly respected. Princeton is #69 and Carnegie Mellon (a comp. sci powerhouse, among other things) is #70. Less highly respected. Coug is 78. Not that far down from Princeton!

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with this information. Either way, I strongly suspect you're going to be upset and Oregon and Washington will go together or not at all. I might be wrong. It happens every now and then.

• Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,294
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter

whlinder said:

haie said:

SECDAWG said:

I ultimately think this will happen, but that’s a BIG if things stay status quo with WA admin. Not Oregon. I think they want to compete with whoever, whatever conference, no matter even if it’s the SEC. I do not think that with WA admin. Oregon seems to be tied to WA like OU has been to TX. That’s Jmo.

Well that goes without saying. As far as universities go (which is what matters to the decision makers) Oregon isn't even on the same planet as UW. They are Oregon State with a pro sports owner and the B1G knows that. Their academics has been evaluated and called into question numerous times during this whole thing, whereas Washington's research revenue is greater than every other school except for Michigan.
    The B1G long term strategy is to build a classier more high-minded super conference alternative to the meathead SEC. Treating the student athlete with a more blue state value system.

They can actually build a national coast to coast football and sports brand of mostly reputable institutions. If they get ND, UW, NC, etc. they start to really challenge for the #1 super conference spot on the field and obviously with the academic prestige.

It’s about synergy of brands and shaping the destiny of elite D-1 sports from the perspective of elite academia.

You heard it here first.
    So then Stanford.

But is Oregon really worse than Nebraska or Iowa?

#77 Pedo State (wtf @whlinder ? are you thinking)

That ain’t no fucking football ranking

But anyway IM NOT HAPPY ABOUT IT

I have insulted the shit out of PSU. Called it land grant. Suggested she major in agriculture. Asked what in thee fuck the school is good at besides football, wrestling and ice hockey. There are no answers and I get in trouble.

It was there vs VaTech. There was an acknowledgement that the schools are basically the same except one has real football and the other is losers lose. It was not a winnable argument.

At least she starts 1 class away from being a sophomore. I’ve been telling her since before she got in that should be a) get in easily and b) be one of the smartest people there. She didn’t believe me but now is seeing it.

UVA never took her off the waitlist. Their criteria for VA kids is weird; being ever so slightly not perfect in GPA holds you back if you’re from Nova. Never mind her AP test scores beat plenty of kids they admitted.

Shrug. We Are?
  • Options
    Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,606
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes

haie said:

SECDAWG said:

You heard it here first.
    You're going to have to explain Nebraska to me then. Rutgers, Maryland and Indiana are a bit of a push on "elite academics" as well. YMMV.
    Indiana is absolutely a highly respected research institution, Maryland is also far and above the average SEC school.

It’s not a perfect fit and it’s about both sports and academics and where they meet, culture and Tv economics.

ND is not an elite research institution but they would be admitted immediately and are absolutely a culture fit for the B1G, not to mention a classy institution.

Also Nebraska, etc. we’re admitted prior to the most recent round of restructuring hth.

NIL, and the ut, ou, usc, ucla, reshuffling is the sea change that alters the logic of everything moving forward.

I mostly forgot what you wrote after "classy" and "culture". I used to hear this a lot about another program I follow. I don't believe in that shit because I'm a real American.

But just for fun, I looked at the NSF research expenditure rankings. Indiana is ranked #40. Highly respected indeed. ASU is #42 and Arizona is #36. Also highly respected. Princeton is #69 and Carnegie Mellon (a comp. sci powerhouse, among other things) is #70. Less highly respected. Coug is 78. Not that far down from Princeton!

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with this information. Either way, I strongly suspect you're going to be upset and Oregon and Washington will go together or not at all. I might be wrong. It happens every now and then.

It's not about what makes sense to you. It's about what matters to the institutional leaders I mentioned. Presidents, Networks, etc.

The Big Ten sees themselves as classy and they care about (trigger warning) culture. They also care about football which is why ND is a no-brainer for them and a natural fit for the league.

Also, nobody in higher ed respects ASU and UA as much as Indiana. Pull up whatever rankings you want. Your point about Princeton and WSU being in the same league shows your level of insight on the issue.

When ND puts their thumb on the scale for realignment they will be pushing the classy angle much more than you like. Strap in.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,960
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited July 2023
    whlinder said:

whlinder said:

haie said:

SECDAWG said:

You heard it here first.
    So then Stanford.

I have insulted the shit out of PSU. Called it land grant. Suggested she major in agriculture. Asked what in thee fuck the school is good at besides football, wrestling and ice hockey. There are no answers and I get in trouble.

It was there vs VaTech. There was an acknowledgement that the schools are basically the same except one has real football and the other is losers lose. It was not a winnable argument.

At least she starts 1 class away from being a sophomore. I’ve been telling her since before she got in that should be a) get in easily and b) be one of the smartest people there. She didn’t believe me but now is seeing it.

UVA never took her off the waitlist. Their criteria for VA kids is weird; being ever so slightly not perfect in GPA holds you back if you’re from Nova. Never mind her AP test scores beat plenty of kids they admitted.

Shrug. We Are?
    HS GPA is such a shit as fuck metric.

IMHO @creepycoug it should be based on average AP test score with a 3 course minimum. My average AP test score was 5.

Also you should have pulled in @RhythmicSlappingDawg for the anti Pedo sales pitch.
  • Options
    46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    haie said:

haie said:

haie said:

haie said:

SECDAWG said:

You heard it here first.
    The academics justification bs is a favorite pastime of uw and a few other institutions in the pac 12 for not trying in athletics.

Allegedly the big 10 already pursued oregon instead of ucla in the latest poaching which if true ends academic smack talk.
    That's bullshit. Oregon had no clue.

They asked SC who they would want and they wanted their cross town rival.
    I doubt anyone here really knows.
    It's been printed multiple times that Oregon and Washington had no clue.

UCLA apologized to UW. No fucks were given about Oregon.

That rumor was floated by Arizona's president who's one of the biggest fucktards in this whole fuckfest.
    Ok, but I mean this in all sincerity, who cares? Who on earth cares that UCLA apologized to Washington and not Oregon? I mean, does that make anyone feel better? If so, then I guess it's great. But I'll say that this compelling need to be viewed as being in the neighborhood with this or that (better) school is unmanly. It's like the "USC respects us!" thing, and yes, that is a thing whether anyone likes to admit it or not. I just saw it on a thread here the other day, and it was serious.

My sense is that if one goes it will be in a combination of the two schools. I recognize that a lot of people would love it if the Big invited Stanford and Washington and left Oregon behind ... so that the academic smack could reach nuclear levels. Maybe that will happen and everyone can celebrate. I doubt it though. Rutgers, Indiana and Nebraska. Not exactly the Ivy League.

Edit: I meant that it's unlikely anyone here knows about what's happening next, and why. Not the SC departure. That is well documented.
    I'm just bringing it up.

The idea that Fox wanted Oregon with USC was just Arizona's dumb fuck president saying shit he was never even brought into in the first place. No one else is saying that.

Really it just goes back to the joke that is Arizona and Colorado, two of the worst football products in power 5, proclaiming that multiple leagues are fighting over them.

Either could be replaced by SDSU and it would be an upgrade and we would have e an excuse to go party in San Diego and sit in a brand new stadium.
    If you had a brain you’d want UO and uw both in but your childish hatred of Oregon makes your “educated” opinion on the subject more like an asshole. It stinks

Thank me!
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,507
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    46XiJCAB said:

haie said:

haie said:

haie said:

haie said:

SECDAWG said:

You heard it here first.
    The academics justification bs is a favorite pastime of uw and a few other institutions in the pac 12 for not trying in athletics.

Allegedly the big 10 already pursued oregon instead of ucla in the latest poaching which if true ends academic smack talk.
    That's bullshit. Oregon had no clue.

They asked SC who they would want and they wanted their cross town rival.
    I doubt anyone here really knows.
    It's been printed multiple times that Oregon and Washington had no clue.

UCLA apologized to UW. No fucks were given about Oregon.

That rumor was floated by Arizona's president who's one of the biggest fucktards in this whole fuckfest.
    Ok, but I mean this in all sincerity, who cares? Who on earth cares that UCLA apologized to Washington and not Oregon? I mean, does that make anyone feel better? If so, then I guess it's great. But I'll say that this compelling need to be viewed as being in the neighborhood with this or that (better) school is unmanly. It's like the "USC respects us!" thing, and yes, that is a thing whether anyone likes to admit it or not. I just saw it on a thread here the other day, and it was serious.

My sense is that if one goes it will be in a combination of the two schools. I recognize that a lot of people would love it if the Big invited Stanford and Washington and left Oregon behind ... so that the academic smack could reach nuclear levels. Maybe that will happen and everyone can celebrate. I doubt it though. Rutgers, Indiana and Nebraska. Not exactly the Ivy League.

Edit: I meant that it's unlikely anyone here knows about what's happening next, and why. Not the SC departure. That is well documented.
    I'm just bringing it up.

The idea that Fox wanted Oregon with USC was just Arizona's dumb fuck president saying shit he was never even brought into in the first place. No one else is saying that.

Really it just goes back to the joke that is Arizona and Colorado, two of the worst football products in power 5, proclaiming that multiple leagues are fighting over them.

Either could be replaced by SDSU and it would be an upgrade and we would have e an excuse to go party in San Diego and sit in a brand new stadium.
    If you had a brain you’d want UO and uw both in but your childish hatred of Oregon makes your “educated” opinion on the subject more like an asshole. It stinks

Thank me!
    Calm down turbo.

No one said anything mean about Lane.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,908
    Founders Club

I'm surprised at the resurgence of the UW reflexive appeal to academics during a pre-season natty campaign. That usually happens when there is a feeling that big-time winning is in the rearview mirror. But once the term 'classy' re-enters the building, watch out!

I really don't have skin in this game, and if anything it's with Washington, which is clearly the better school all around, and from which I have more degrees than 99% of you. But this idea that you're comparing Stanford to the University of Montana doesn't quite hold up.

Washington reports better test scores historically, but that means nothing now because both schools are test optional. That said Washington's 25th, 50th and 75th ACT Composite of 27, 30 and 34 are better than Oregon's 24, 27 and 30. And UW's avg. admitted student GPA of 3.83 is better than Oregon's 3.76. Interestingly, though, the CDS shows the following distributions:

Oregon

Washington

Washington has more money at $99,000 per student to Oregon's $61,000 per. Neither figure is dazzling on a national level. Since Oregon broke away from the retarded State Higher Ed board, they have been fundraising (and building) like crazy. Watch out!

Class sizes will invariably favor Oregon, with some of UW's survey courses no longer fitting in Kane Hall, behind which I received my beating from 5 guys with letterman jackets. @YellowSnow knows who these guys are.

Of course, Washington is a research behemoth and outspends many, many, many universities across the country that are otherwise viewed as their academic equal or superior. Not sure what to make of that other than it's cool for UW.

Both schools are members of the AAU (Beav and Boof are not). Washington is more "spikey" with some departments ranking among the best of the best. Campus favors Washington, but then again, UW has the nicest campus in the conference and it's not really close.

This is not, to me, some issue with Oregon not being prestigious enough, and the fat and pasty people in the midwest confusing UW with Stanford. It's fun to run that narrative, but it's unlikely.

Here is the executive summary of all that word vomit: if this were an academic play, Cal and Furd get the next two spots and Oregon and Washington are afterthoughts. Football puts asses in the seats and gets the TV revenue. That's what is at issue here.

Wow, @TheChart is gonna be mad that you plagiarismed his shit
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,526
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

haie said:

haie said:

Oregon

Washington

I know I am echoing the very point you made, but imagine caring about any of this for a football program.
    Right. That is the point. The related point is that the undergraduate population at Oregon isn't comprised of a bunch of retarded people while Washington has 40,000 mensa members. It's a bit closer than perhaps many assume.
    I won't get into it further but Oregon is comprised of a bunch of retarded people.

Washington is a big boy school. But there are a few retards.
    The CDS reports, which is the holy grail of this stuff, wouldn't bear that out. I think my point is that they're more than close enough. But I won't get into it further.
    Here's a list of current UO students who could survive one quarter of UW comp sci:

Okay now I'm done.
    I couldn't survive a quarter of UW comp sci.
    I wouldn't want to. I'd rather listen to jazz albums for the rest of my life.
  • Options
    edited July 2023

haie said:

SECDAWG said:

You heard it here first.

It's not about what makes sense to you. It's about what matters to the institutional leaders I mentioned. Presidents, Networks, etc.

The Big Ten sees themselves as classy and they care about (trigger warning) culture. They also care about football which is why ND is a no-brainer for them and a natural fit for the league.

Also, nobody in higher ed respects ASU and UA as much as Indiana. Pull up whatever rankings you want. Your point about Princeton and WSU being in the same league shows your level of insight on the issue.

When ND puts their thumb on the scale for realignment they will be pushing the classy angle much more than you like. Strap in.
    Tl;dr

Also, nobody cares that you went to Indiana. Also, you brought up research activity. The expenditures say what they say. It's math.

Also, IDC. HtH.
  • Options

whlinder said:

whlinder said:

haie said:

SECDAWG said:

You heard it here first.
    So then Stanford.

Shrug. We Are?
    HS GPA is such a shit as fuck metric.

IMHO @creepycoug it should be based on average AP test score with a 3 course minimum. My average AP test score was 5.

Also you should have pulled in @RhythmicSlappingDawg for the anti Pedo sales pitch.
    The metric I think matters is % of kids in the top 10, 25 and 50% of the admitted class. Look at the CDS of most elite private schools. They publish and track that shit. From that, you can interpret quite a bit. It puts the GPA in context. A lot of public universities, including UW and UO, don't publish it in their CDS, which is their right.
  • Options
    whlinder said:

whlinder said:

haie said:

SECDAWG said:

You heard it here first.
    So then Stanford.

Shrug. We Are?
    Honestly, with the exception of a very few professions, nobody fucking cares where you kid goes to school unless she wants to get her PhD and be an academic some day, and if she does talk her out of it right now. What matters is how she does wherever she goes, and then if grad school matters where she goes and how she does.
  • Options
    Lolz.

Indiana

Oregon

Still don't care, but IU's flagship campus is essentially Oregon in terms of the quality of student body. But they spend more on research than Princeton, so they're classy and have a better culture. And 6% of IU kids don't even submit a HS GPA. Not sure how that works.
  • Options
    edited July 2023

whlinder said:

whlinder said:

haie said:

SECDAWG said:

You heard it here first.
    So then Stanford.

Shrug. We Are?
    Honestly, with the exception of a very few professions, nobody fucking cares where you kid goes to school unless she wants to get her PhD and be an academic some day, and if she does talk her out of it right now. What matters is how she does wherever she goes, and then if grad school matters where she goes and how she does.
    But you're right, @whlinder , UVa is a tough admit and the only AA they (used to) give was to AA. So that, or a recruited athlete. One of the big differences between selective large publics and mid- to small-sized selective privates is the degree to which they scour your application. For the latter group, rigor of coursework is everything, or close to it. When you're applying to large state Us, they don't have the time and staff to do it, even if they say in their CDS reports that it's "important". A UW admin in admissions I know used to say that, unless you're doing something that obviously is super hard and can be assessed at a glance, like IB, your best bet is to not take a crazy rigorous load and focus on inflating your GPA. For example, below a 3.7, UW is going to have to see something straight away that prevents you from going in the junk pile. Doesn't matter if your 3.6 is built on very fucking hard classes and some other kid sailed through with a strategically built schedule. But you're not getting into Amherst or Duke with that schedule no matter what your GPA is.

It's a fucking game.