Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Who had the sweetest swing you've seen in baseball?

2»

Comments

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,959
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tony Gwynn

Kirk was a California serial killer

LA really had a great 1980's run in Pro Sports.

2 x World Series
    5x NBA Titles
    1 x Super Bowl
  • Options
    coronabruincoronabruin Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,478
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2023

Kirk was a California serial killer

LA really had a great 1980's run in Pro Sports.

2 x World Series
    5x NBA Titles
    1 x Super Bowl

GRONK!
  • Options
    TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,577
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited June 2023
    Ted Williams
    I know that this is a harmless beauty pageant, but guys that voted for Griffey Jr are chimps... way better hitters with magical swings in history, two dozen or more, some of which are on the list. No one compares to Ted, but beyond that you have Musial, Mays, Dimaggio, Pet Rose, today's Mike Trout, Lou Gerhig and WTF more...I mean come on, great player, pretty swing form for sure but even Edgar was a better hitter on the same team... sorry, just couldn't let this pass.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,087
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Ken Griffey, Jr.

I know that this is a harmless beauty pageant, but guys that voted for Griffey Jr are chimps... way better hitters in history, two dozen or more, some of which are on the list. No one compares to Ted, but beyond that you have Musial, Mays, Dimaggio, Pet Rose, today's Mike Trout, Lou Gerhig and WTF more...I mean come on, great player, pretty swing form for sure but even Edgar was a better hitter on the same team... sorry, just couldn't let this pass.

At least this chimp read the context of the poll. Prettiest swing, not best hitter.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited June 2023
    Ted Williams
    I get that, but the point is a pretty swing is the swing that dominates and produces... and every one of the guys I mentioned has a better swing no matter how you look at it. In retrospect however, I am certain that I should have said that people that voted for KEN are goldfish not chimps...
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited June 2023
    Ted Williams
    TROTC is on his way to the gulag now...

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    edited June 2023
    Ken Griffey, Jr.

Hot take. I think that half of why lefties are perceived to have nicer swings is because the angle of the camera on TV is always from the opposite side and you can see their swing open up more than that of a righty. There's no reason why a lefty swing would mechanically be any different than a righty.

This might have something to do with it but I think the other half is the natural finish to a lefty swing ends up with your hips pointed towards first base whereas a right hander starts to adjust his body across home plate at the end of his swing and it doesn't look as good. Look at the RH Griffey swing @Fishpo31 posted above. He pivots hard towards third base* at the end of those swings (which are still pretty from the *right* side). But you never see a RH hitter actually do that because your body is trained to prepare to move towards first base. Nobody opens up that wide towards third.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Ken Griffey, Jr.

TROTC is on his way to the gulag now...

You don't want to see Cozzetto Stalin when he'd mad!
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Ted Williams
    chuck said:

dnc said:

Hot take. I think that half of why lefties are perceived to have nicer swings is because the angle of the camera on TV is always from the opposite side and you can see their swing open up more than that of a righty. There's no reason why a lefty swing would mechanically be any different than a righty.

This might have something to do with it but I think the other half is the natural finish to a lefty swing ends up with your hips pointed towards first base whereas a right hander starts to adjust his body across home plate at the end of his swing and it doesn't look as good. Look at the RH Griffey swing @Fishpo31 posted above. He pivots hard towards third base* at the end of those swings (which are still pretty from the *right* side). But you never see a RH hitter actually do that because your body is trained to prepare to move towards first base. Nobody opens up that wide towards third.
    That's a solid observation. There is something to the difference and it's probably in the finish as you said.

I get that, but the point is a pretty swing is the swing that dominates and produces... and every one of the guys I mentioned has a better swing no matter how you look at it. In retrospect however, I am certain that I should have said that people that voted for KEN are goldfish not chimps...

Griffey had a beautiful swing good for six hundred and how many home runs? Jeez man. He was an undeniably great hitter for most of his career.

He was no George Brett. I'll give you that.
    You know what? after looking at Jr's history again [haven't in years] I have to say my previous comments really are a shit take... Im not wrong very often, but when I am its often a spectacular display.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Ken Griffey, Jr.
    @YellowSnow's slavish devotion to all things San Diego continues...
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Write-in
    I always liked how Barry Bonds choked up on the bat. He’s up there for sweetest swing.
  • Options
    Ken Griffey, Jr.

Fuckoff edge lord
  • Options
    Ken Griffey, Jr.

I know that this is a harmless beauty pageant, but guys that voted for Griffey Jr are chimps... way better hitters with magical swings in history, two dozen or more, some of which are on the list. No one compares to Ted, but beyond that you have Musial, Mays, Dimaggio, Pet Rose, today's Mike Trout, Lou Gerhig and WTF more...I mean come on, great player, pretty swing form for sure but even Edgar was a better hitter on the same team... sorry, just couldn't let this pass.

I get that, but the point is a pretty swing is the swing that dominates and produces... and every one of the guys I mentioned has a better swing no matter how you look at it.

Holy shit you're actually arguing Pet (sic) Rose was a better hitter than KGJ.

LMFAO
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited June 2023
    Ted Williams
    See my above retraction DNC… every one of those guys is a legendary hitter with an incredible and unique swing… but I have to include jr in that category, and he was one of the greatest… he wasn’t Ted Williams, but he truly was the equal or better player than everyone else on that list, and he did have a magical swing
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,959
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tony Gwynn

@YellowSnow's slavish devotion to all things San Diego continues...

Once a Kalifag, always a Kalifag.

• Options
    Ken Griffey, Jr.

See my above retraction DNC… every one of those guys is a legendary hitter with an incredible and unique swing… but I have to include jr in that category, and he was one of the greatest… he wasn’t Ted Williams, but he truly was the equal or better player than everyone else on that list, and he did have a magical swing

I missed the retraction. Agree with what you've said here.
  • Options
    SECDAWGSECDAWG Member Posts: 5,004
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2023
    Write-in
    Write in: I’m going to play, DJ.

Mid 1990’s, when Atlanta won it all. Fred McGriff “Crime Dawg”….Best swing IMO. And we’ve played a lot. Absolutely sweetest swing…

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qn88r_6Xc3I

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xK7m2-JRBYc