Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Jen Cohen's interview with Christian Caple

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,422 Founders Club
When I saw this come out I was looking forward to learning something. I posted it tonight in the Wam. But... Caple lobbed softballs at her and she gave non-answers or canned, cliche'd responses. She was not challenged at all and the whole thing was just a waste of everybody's time. I came away with even less confidence in her ability to lead this athletic department.

Her only strong statements were she's excited about new LED lights in the stadium for the gameday experience, and they're halfway to getting 5,000 new ticket holders. (Net or gross?)

I don't like to be negative about her but this is how I see the situation.

Comments

• dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,766 Swaye's Wigwam
    TYFYS.

I’m going to sit this one out this time.
  • LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,785
    With LED lights how can we expect to get 20 minute cool down periods when the lights go off during our 11pm games?
  • QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,291 Swaye's Wigwam
    Tits🤷‍♂️
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,710 Swaye's Wigwam
    Derek, as head of the largest fan forum for UW sports, why don't you try to set up an interview for your front page/podcast?

Just make sure you don't end it by shouting "don't tase me, bro" as campus police pin you down
  • BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365

When I saw this come out I was looking forward to learning something. I posted it tonight in the Wam. But... Caple lobbed softballs at her and she gave non-answers or canned, cliche'd responses. She was not challenged at all and the whole thing was just a waste of everybody's time. I came away with even less confidence in her ability to lead this athletic department.

Her only strong statements were she's excited about new LED lights in the stadium for the gameday experience, and they're halfway to getting 5,000 new ticket holders. (Net or gross?)

Did she mention the non-carcinogenic purple smoke they’re introducing next year?
  • dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,766 Swaye's Wigwam

Derek, as head of the largest fan forum for UW sports, why don't you try to set up an interview for your front page/podcast?

Just make sure you don't end it by shouting "don't tase me, bro" as campus police pin you down

I’ve got a couple questions for her.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825

You had any confidence remaining?

There’s no way she’s granting any interview that poses hard hitting questions

Being excited about seizure inducing LED boards sums Jen up in a single comment
  • Geevis_and_ButtheadGeevis_and_Butthead Member Posts: 992

Caple lobbed softballs at her and she gave non-answers or canned, cliche'd responses. She was not challenged at all and the whole thing was just a waste of everybody's time.

Let's see the questions you would've asked her?
    “Looking back when you had the campaign challenging Husky fans to be "all in", and then you failed to lobby for a delay of the conference championship game and instead stepped aside and allowed Oregon to go, what would you say to Husky fans who felt deeply betrayed by that? “

This is the only one I want an answer to and if she sidesteps it, comes up with some bullshit Covid excuse, or does anything other than a credible apology and admission of grave error by her, then fuck off.

• whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,607 Standard Supporter
    “Please explain how you can continue to employ Mike Hopkins”.

“Do you consider the current season ticket base to be good?”
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,940 Swaye's Wigwam

Caple lobbed softballs at her and she gave non-answers or canned, cliche'd responses. She was not challenged at all and the whole thing was just a waste of everybody's time.

Seriously?

Off the top of my head, here are questions I would ask, and they would be done so respectfully,,,

Looking back when you had the campaign challenging Husky fans to be "all in", and then you failed to lobby for a delay of the conference championship game and instead stepped aside and allowed Oregon to go, what would you say to Husky fans who felt deeply betrayed by that?

Are you feeling pressure of any sort? If so, which?

Given the fiscal challenges the department is facing, what could have been done differently during the stadium remodel to lower costs?

For Husky fans who are feeling uncertainty about the future of the program including where its home conference will be, what would you say to them right now?

What would be your ideal outcome for the P12 media deal?

Aside from the obvious win-loss record, what characteristics of DeBoer do you most appreciate as head coach?

What were the conversations like between Ohio State and your department? (In regards to OSU bowing out of the trip to Seattle)

Looking back, do you have any second thoughts about how you promoted Penix last season? What is the general plan this season to promote him?

Etc...
    Great questions DJ — better and more direct than Caple's for sure (although it's easy to be the hard-hitting second-guesser when you're an uncredentialed message board baron)

But I don't think Caple's questions were the softballs you claim.

Not fucking up's move UW to the Big Ten is by far the most important thing on Cohen's agenda — and Caple hit on aspects of that situation a half-dozen times.

"We're all in on the Pac-12" bullshit is exactly what she's supposed to spew until the day UW leaves for the B1G. Don't say a word to suggest Washington is anything other than a loyal soldier

Lay low, wait for Colorado and Arizona to start the exit parade and then GTFO
    Good points, but his questions were softball because he didn't really test her ability to walk that tightrope. He didn't lead her to say anything other than exactly what we'd expect.
    edited July 2023
    chuck said:

Seriously?

Off the top of my head, here are questions I would ask, and they would be done so respectfully,,,

Looking back when you had the campaign challenging Husky fans to be "all in", and then you failed to lobby for a delay of the conference championship game and instead stepped aside and allowed Oregon to go, what would you say to Husky fans who felt deeply betrayed by that?

Given the fiscal challenges the department is facing, what could have been done differently during the stadium remodel to lower costs?

For Husky fans who are feeling uncertainty about the future of the program including where its home conference will be, what would you say to them right now?

Aside from the obvious win-loss record, what characteristics of DeBoer do you most appreciate as head coach?

What were the conversations like between Ohio State and your department? (In regards to OSU bowing out of the trip to Seattle)

Looking back, do you have any second thoughts about how you promoted Penix last season? What is the general plan this season to promote him?

Etc...
    Great questions DJ — better and more direct than Caple's for sure (although it's easy to be the hard-hitting second-guesser when you're an uncredentialed message board baron)

Not fucking up's move UW to the Big Ten is by far the most important thing on Cohen's agenda — and Caple hit on aspects of that situation a half-dozen times.

"We're all in on the Pac-12" bullshit is exactly what she's supposed to spew until the day UW leaves for the B1G. Don't say a word to suggest Washington is anything other than a loyal soldier

Good points, but his questions were softball because he didn't really test her ability to walk that tightrope. He didn't lead her to say anything other than exactly what we'd expect.
    Maybe that’s for the better. We all know UW won’t voluntarily make any change with her position. Asking her the tough questions will just piss us all off the more. She will claim the fans are making her student athletes have a less fun college experience. She will blame the fans for not being all in. She will praise the administration and conference for being so great. Do you really want to hear what we already know out loud?
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,422 Founders Club
    chuck said:

Seriously?

Etc...

Also, he never pushed back at her canned responses
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,594 Standard Supporter
    Tequilla said:

You had any confidence remaining?

There’s no way she’s granting any interview that poses hard hitting questions

Being excited about seizure inducing LED boards sums Jen up in a single comment
    Ditch the fucking lights and fire Mike Hopkins instead

Before he gives me a seizure.

Worthless fucking AD. Worthless.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,940 Swaye's Wigwam
    LawDawg1 said:

chuck said:

Seriously?

Etc...

Maybe that’s for the better. We all know UW won’t voluntarily make any change with her position. Asking her the tough questions will just piss us all off the more. She will claim the fans are making her student athletes have a less fun college experience. She will blame the fans for not being all in. She will praise the administration and conference for being so great. Do you really want to hear what we already know out loud?
    Personally? Nope I really dgaf what she says. Nobody in public facing positions, coaches, athletic directors, etc, tells the truth about anything anyways.

I was just giving my take on Derek's point and the other comment.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,933 Founders Club

Seriously?

Etc...
    Great questions DJ — better and more direct than Caple's for sure (although it's easy to be the hard-hitting second-guesser when you're an uncredentialed message board dictator)

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,983 Founders Club

Seriously?

Etc...
    These questions are harder hitting the a Pup Christmas present for you HH wife or girlfriend.