Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

PM to LoneStarDawg

pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,680
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
Founders Club
Cliffs?

Comments

• LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,098
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    edited May 2023
    I’m not an expert on the situation and haven’t read all the articles of impeachment, however Ken got accused of using state money/hours to handle a personal civil suit 8 years ago, along with some other things. It never went anywhere in the legal system, up through the last election. It was known in the primary and a reason to vote for someone else then, however he won the primary and general. Now he’s getting the Trump treatment for continuing to piss off the establishment, and Dade Phelan is trying to distract from his own drunken crisis this week along with yet another failed TXlege session. It all smells like terrible politicking.

Below Statement from a Texas Rep

Rep. Matt Schaefer’s statement on the impeachment proceedings against Attorney General Ken Paxton:

“I have grave concerns with the process that has been used in the impeachment investigation of Attorney General Ken Paxton. Under the direction of Speaker Phelan, the House Committee on General Investigating has conducted its business for many weeks outside the knowledge of rank and file members of the Texas House. To my knowledge not a single member of the Texas House has interviewed, or directed questions to a single witness, and that includes members of the General Investigating Committee. All interviews were conducted by hired staff. Nor have any transcripts of interviews with witnesses conducted by committee staff been provided to the members of the full House. Nor have members been provided with substantiating documents. To be clear, the full Texas House has not heard any testimony from witnesses, nor have we been provided transcripts of such testimony. As I write this, I cannot determine whether those witnesses were under oath when they were interviewed by staff. I asked two members of the committee and they did not know the answer. Furthermore, it is the stated intent of Speaker Phelan and Chairman Murr that no direct evidence will be provided to the full House when the articles of impeachment are called up for consideration. Texas Government Code Sec. 665.005 states that the full house may compel testimony. The only transcript that has been provided to the full House was the transcript of staff members of the General Investigating Committee presenting an account of their findings to the committee on May 24th, 2023. After speaking to the parliamentarian of the House, reading the transcript, and asking questions to some members of the General Investigating Committee, I believe this process is being rushed. I do not believe that members of the House have a good understanding of the adequacy, legality, or fairness of the impeachment process. We are being asked to vote on impeachment tomorrow, Saturday, May 27th while in the midst of considering the House budget, and many other legislative items of great importance. I am deeply disturbed by the way this is being handled. Political considerations seem to be involved. The weight of the decision we face as members of the Texas House of Representatives is enormous. The practical consequence of impeaching the Attorney General is to overturn an election decided by the voters of Texas. Many (but not all) of the allegations in the impeachment resolution were known to some extent by the voting public at the time of the election. I publicly opposed Ken Paxton’s re-election in the Republican primary, and I called out his very serious moral and legal failings. But if it is right to impeach Ken Paxton, it is being done in the wrong way. Barring a drastic change in the nature of the House proceedings on impeachment, I will be voting no. I will vote no because I do not have confidence in the procedure. This impeachment procedure may be a significant departure from the due process considerations afforded during similar proceedings in Texas history. I cannot vote to impeach when the members of the full House have had no direct access to witnesses or supporting documents, and have had no time to properly prepare and understand the matters in question. The simple truth is that the evidentiary basis to impeach Attorney General Paxton has not been properly established. Process matters.”
    #txlege
  • pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,680
    Founders Club
  • MelloDawgMelloDawg Member Posts: 6,065
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited May 2023

I’m not an expert on the situation and haven’t read all the articles of impeachment, however Ken got accused of using state money/hours to handle a personal civil suit 8 years ago, along with some other things. It never went anywhere in the legal system, up through the last election. It was known in the primary and a reason to vote for someone else then, however he won the primary and general. Now he’s getting the Trump treatment for continuing to piss off the establishment, and Dade Phelan is trying to distract from his own drunken crisis this week along with yet another failed TXlege session. It all smells like terrible politicking.

Rep. Matt Schaefer’s statement on the impeachment proceedings against Attorney General Ken Paxton:

“I have grave concerns with the process that has been used in the impeachment investigation of Attorney General Ken Paxton. Under the direction of Speaker Phelan, the House Committee on General Investigating has conducted its business for many weeks outside the knowledge of rank and file members of the Texas House. To my knowledge not a single member of the Texas House has interviewed, or directed questions to a single witness, and that includes members of the General Investigating Committee. All interviews were conducted by hired staff. Nor have any transcripts of interviews with witnesses conducted by committee staff been provided to the members of the full House. Nor have members been provided with substantiating documents. To be clear, the full Texas House has not heard any testimony from witnesses, nor have we been provided transcripts of such testimony. As I write this, I cannot determine whether those witnesses were under oath when they were interviewed by staff. I asked two members of the committee and they did not know the answer. Furthermore, it is the stated intent of Speaker Phelan and Chairman Murr that no direct evidence will be provided to the full House when the articles of impeachment are called up for consideration. Texas Government Code Sec. 665.005 states that the full house may compel testimony. The only transcript that has been provided to the full House was the transcript of staff members of the General Investigating Committee presenting an account of their findings to the committee on May 24th, 2023. After speaking to the parliamentarian of the House, reading the transcript, and asking questions to some members of the General Investigating Committee, I believe this process is being rushed. I do not believe that members of the House have a good understanding of the adequacy, legality, or fairness of the impeachment process. We are being asked to vote on impeachment tomorrow, Saturday, May 27th while in the midst of considering the House budget, and many other legislative items of great importance. I am deeply disturbed by the way this is being handled. Political considerations seem to be involved. The weight of the decision we face as members of the Texas House of Representatives is enormous. The practical consequence of impeaching the Attorney General is to overturn an election decided by the voters of Texas. Many (but not all) of the allegations in the impeachment resolution were known to some extent by the voting public at the time of the election. I publicly opposed Ken Paxton’s re-election in the Republican primary, and I called out his very serious moral and legal failings. But if it is right to impeach Ken Paxton, it is being done in the wrong way. Barring a drastic change in the nature of the House proceedings on impeachment, I will be voting no. I will vote no because I do not have confidence in the procedure. This impeachment procedure may be a significant departure from the due process considerations afforded during similar proceedings in Texas history. I cannot vote to impeach when the members of the full House have had no direct access to witnesses or supporting documents, and have had no time to properly prepare and understand the matters in question. The simple truth is that the evidentiary basis to impeach Attorney General Paxton has not been properly established. Process matters.”
    #txlege

The bolded sentence is where I stopped reading.
  • WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,699
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    Mello and his fellow dems approach to impeachment, "Sentence first—verdict afterwards". Scratch a leftist, find a fascist.
    Founders Club
    MelloDawg said:

#txlege

You’ve always struggled with honesty.

• WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,699
    Standard Supporter
    pawz said:

MelloDawg said:

#txlege

You’ve always struggled with honesty.

Mello views "honesty" as a sign of white institutional systemic racism". Like the dazzler he has no struggle with honesty.
  • Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,765
    Founders Club
    MelloDawg said:

#txlege

I agree, best we get Reuters to break this down.
  • Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,765
    Founders Club
  • LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,098
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    The lobbyists have spoken

Founders Club