Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Race Bannon's OFFICIAL Golf Talk 2023-2024 Thread

Comments

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,725
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Rahm was recency bias after the Masters

Real Brooks Koepka is better. Could be a good rivalry
  • Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,768
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    My boy Issaquah-Aussie Cam Davis back doored a top 4 also.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,350
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    My brother in law is naming their kid after Brooksey.

CSB.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2023
    Hit some balls last Friday for the time this season. My 5 iron driver felt good. Still need to go get my REAL Driver.

First round of 18 in a few weekend. Can @YellowSnow break 100?

• chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,587
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Hit some balls last Friday for the time this season. My 5 iron driver felt good. Still need to go get my REAL Driver.

Want to try my loaner driver? I could throw it in a box and send it your way for a bit. It's a very nice, customized Callaway from about 10 years ago with an aftermarket Matrix shaft.

Maybe that would get you moving on upgrading your tee club. Or maybe it would do the opposite, but it wouldn't cost you anything.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

Want to try my loaner driver? I could throw it in a box and send it your way for a bit. It's a very nice, customized Callaway from about 10 years ago with an aftermarket Matrix shaft.

Maybe that would get you moving on upgrading your tee club. Or maybe it would do the opposite, but it wouldn't cost you anything.
    Wouldn't that be too short for a fellar like me?
    Founders Club

chuck said:

Best move I ever made was to cut off one inch from the standard length on driver and I'm like 6'2. If you are worried about accuracy, that's an option.
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,587
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

It'sa function of your arm length and height and most people end up right around the 45" mark as optimal for their setup. A lot of tall guys use shortish drivers. If you're like T Rex then you want a longer one.
  • whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,240
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter

chuck said:

I have an off the shelf driver; recently I made the decision to choke down around 1.5 inches on every shot. Haven't done that for other clubs; driver only.

It is amazingly more consistent now. I still hit bad shots; it's golf, but there are fewer and I still get plenty of distance.

Broke 90 for the first time this year on Saturday #Harv90, which was nice since it led to a member-member flight win. WITH music in the cart
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Just got back from a BC golf trip up to the Kamloops area with 5 rounds in 3 days

2 rounds at Sagebrush - 1st time there
    2 rounds at Talking Rock - 3rd time there
    1 round at Tobiano - 3rd time there

A little bit of my thoughts on each course ...

Sagebrush

Been on the radar for a while and this was the first opportunity to go play it. For those that know about the course you may know that they've had some on/off ownership related challenges for the last handful of years but is now on the right track but it's still a little bit of a work in process in terms of its facilities, what it offers, and the lodging. It's a very daily exclusive course where daily play is limited to roughly 60 players per day.

Lodging option was solid on-site with generic 2 bedrooms with 2 twins, living room, etc.

As for the course, it's a bit of a mountain course with a links style vibe. In a lot of ways, somewhat similar to what you might get with Gamble Sands crossed with Desert Canyon maybe. Definitely some really good holes mixed with great views of Lake Nicola. Highlights of the course for me are the Par 3's that range in length, elevation changes, and impact from the wind.

What makes the course difficult though is that besides the mountain element with elevation changes and sidehills, picking and committing to your lines off the tee I found to be a bit challenging and it results in hitting some really good shots that you end up never finding.

I don't think I'd go out of my way per se to go back but I wouldn't be upset if a group I was part of wanted to go there again.

Talking Rock

Course is located about 45 minutes east of Kamloops on TransCanada 1 ... very secluded about 5 minutes off the highway. Very wooded course that can appear to be very narrow on your first playing but after getting around the course once or twice you realize that it's much more playable than you think. There's a good mix of holes here in terms of length, doglegs, and green designs on all hole types (3's, 4's, and 5's).

Course conditioning here is top notch and you're going to find yourself hitting off of perfect fairways, lush rough, and greens that move.

The signature hole by far is the downhill Par 3 15th that has a tremendous backdrop of the lake in the background that you can see from the tee over the tree lines.

Tobiano

This is unquestionably in the Top 5 to 10 courses that I've played. Almost every hole is a signature hole on most courses with so much quality throughout the course.

Conditioning here is top notch and you can definitely find yourself in a position where the rough can be penal as it can be more on the lush and grabbing side if you find the really healthy stuff.

Signature hole for me is tough to really pick but I'll go with the 14th that is a dogleg left tee shot that plays down to an infinity looking green with a tremendous lake/rock wall backdrop on the 2nd shot that typically is playing into a direct or in/sideways wind. That's followed by a par 3 running parallel to the lake playing into the wind that is as beautiful as it is difficult with the wind.

Apparently the course also recently purchased the adjacent marina and will be offering golf + boating packages as early as this year. Every time that I play the course the number of housing development in/around the course increases but is doing so in a manner that actually adds to the course backdrop than taking away from it. Given it's location about 20 minutes west of Kamloops everything about it makes sense. It wouldn't shock me if development continues if a 2nd course gets announced/developed in the next 5-7 years.

Next trip coming up is to Kelowna in June ... a place that I've never been. Definitely looking forward to that experience and playing some of new courses that look outstanding.
    Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

Just got back from a BC golf trip up to the Kamloops area with 5 rounds in 3 days

Sagebrush

Been on the radar for a while and this was the first opportunity to go play it. For those that know about the course you may know that they've had some on/off ownership related challenges for the last handful of years but is now on the right track but it's still a little bit of a work in process in terms of its facilities, what it offers, and the lodging. It's a very daily exclusive course where daily play is limited to roughly 60 players per day.

Lodging option was solid on-site with generic 2 bedrooms with 2 twins, living room, etc.

As for the course, it's a bit of a mountain course with a links style vibe. In a lot of ways, somewhat similar to what you might get with Gamble Sands crossed with Desert Canyon maybe. Definitely some really good holes mixed with great views of Lake Nicola. Highlights of the course for me are the Par 3's that range in length, elevation changes, and impact from the wind.

What makes the course difficult though is that besides the mountain element with elevation changes and sidehills, picking and committing to your lines off the tee I found to be a bit challenging and it results in hitting some really good shots that you end up never finding.

I don't think I'd go out of my way per se to go back but I wouldn't be upset if a group I was part of wanted to go there again.

Talking Rock

Course is located about 45 minutes east of Kamloops on TransCanada 1 ... very secluded about 5 minutes off the highway. Very wooded course that can appear to be very narrow on your first playing but after getting around the course once or twice you realize that it's much more playable than you think. There's a good mix of holes here in terms of length, doglegs, and green designs on all hole types (3's, 4's, and 5's).

Course conditioning here is top notch and you're going to find yourself hitting off of perfect fairways, lush rough, and greens that move.

The signature hole by far is the downhill Par 3 15th that has a tremendous backdrop of the lake in the background that you can see from the tee over the tree lines.

Tobiano

This is unquestionably in the Top 5 to 10 courses that I've played. Almost every hole is a signature hole on most courses with so much quality throughout the course.

Conditioning here is top notch and you can definitely find yourself in a position where the rough can be penal as it can be more on the lush and grabbing side if you find the really healthy stuff.

Signature hole for me is tough to really pick but I'll go with the 14th that is a dogleg left tee shot that plays down to an infinity looking green with a tremendous lake/rock wall backdrop on the 2nd shot that typically is playing into a direct or in/sideways wind. That's followed by a par 3 running parallel to the lake playing into the wind that is as beautiful as it is difficult with the wind.

Apparently the course also recently purchased the adjacent marina and will be offering golf + boating packages as early as this year. Every time that I play the course the number of housing development in/around the course increases but is doing so in a manner that actually adds to the course backdrop than taking away from it. Given it's location about 20 minutes west of Kamloops everything about it makes sense. It wouldn't shock me if development continues if a 2nd course gets announced/developed in the next 5-7 years.

Next trip coming up is to Kelowna in June ... a place that I've never been. Definitely looking forward to that experience and playing some of new courses that look outstanding.

Pics?
    Bob_C said:

Tequilla said:

Sagebrush

Talking Rock

Tobiano

Pics?

Picture 1 = Sagebrush from a high point on the property overlooking the property and Lake Nicola

Picture 2 = Tobiano from the 14th fairway looking down towards an infinity green

Picture 3 = Tobiano's 15th hole from the tee box

Picture 4 = Talking Rock's 15th hole from the tee box
    Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

Picture 1 = Sagebrush from a high point on the property overlooking the property and Lake Nicola

Picture 2 = Tobiano from the 14th fairway looking down towards an infinity green

Do they play linksy in terms of conditions and types of shots required?
    Bob_C said:

Tequilla said:

Do they play linksy in terms of conditions and types of shots required?
    Sagebrush plays probably more like a links than not - if/when the wind blows off the lake you can get some very interesting holes. There are definitely holes where you have speed slots, opportunities to run the ball onto the green via openings and ramps, and some very very large green complexes. That said, there are also holes that require various forms of forced carries and definitely some blind shots.

Talking Rock plays more like a woodland course with trees lining most holes. By and large you are looking more at doglegs, elevation changes, and bunkers being the primary themes.

Tobiano could be considered a links style course but I wouldn't describe it as such. There are a number of forced carries and doglegs in place with well placed bunkering. Instead of a traditional links course, I'd probably put the course more in an Irish theme than a Scottish theme.
    Founders Club
    Maybe Block is like Brooks and only cares about the majors.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,397
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,725
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

15. 5

A brilliant example of stupid stats

Do Tiger at 36 starts then pop off

But Brooks is impressive. I even like him now

Stay healthy.