Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

What Pearl Jam sounds like to people who don't like Pearl Jam

Comments

• GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I'm hearing Pearl Jam is a band for fat, middle aged white guys with beards.

@pawz true?
  • pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,681
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

I'm hearing Pearl Jam is a band for fat, middle aged white guys with beards.

@pawz true?

Thank REAL God I don't have a beard.

Founders Club
    The rest of you should DIAFF

Including @dnc who hasn't seen the thread yet.

HOF Bitches !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84zCxQYTMy0

Swaye's Wigwam

There's a new record store in Index. The owner is a really nice kid, but a huge PJ fan. He's always excitedly telling me about some new 168th month anniversary special braille pressing of Jeremy or some shit, and I have a hard tim disguising my utter disinterest.

One of the hardest things about living in a shitty little, logging camp, is that the 1 records store is twash as fuck with horrible selection. The used bins are slim picking at best and their new stuff is mostly the crappy pressings and not the audiophile masterings preferred by Yella.

The thing I miss most about Seattle is the record stores where there's still an abundance of good used bin stuff to be had, albeit at much higher prices than the 2005- 09 salad days.

I used to go up to Silver Platters in Index now and then, which was a decent store for up north.
  • DucksFCDucksFC Member Posts: 1,100
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Sign language lady is the best part of the video
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,717
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited May 2023

There's a new record store in Index. The owner is a really nice kid, but a huge PJ fan. He's always excitedly telling me about some new 168th month anniversary special braille pressing of Jeremy or some shit, and I have a hard tim disguising my utter disinterest.

If we're gonna start bashing new 168th month anniversary special braille pressings of Jeremy, I'm out!
    Swaye's Wigwam
    pawz said:

The rest of you should DIAFF

Including @dnc who hasn't seen the thread yet.

HOF Bitches !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84zCxQYTMy0

This may shock some here: I actually love Eddie Vedder as a vocalist.

I just don't have any interest in their stuff post No Code.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,397
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Pearl Jam definitely sucks and Vedder is lame. His vocal style gave rise to many lousy garage bands. I would go so far as to guess that, without Pearl Jam, Creed never becomes big.
    Swaye's Wigwam

Pearl Jam definitely sucks and Vedder is lame. His vocal style gave rise to many lousy garage bands. I would go so far as to guess that, without Pearl Jam, Creed never becomes big.

It's not Eddie's vault that Creed sucks ballz.
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,587
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2023
    That's actually the only PJ song I really like, though it's just as vulnerable to being made fun of as anything else of theirs. Alive and Jeremy and Black or WTF ever it's called are all worse. At least Even Flow is a legit rocking tune and the chorus kicks ass.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    chuck said:

That's actually the only PJ song I really like, though it's just as vulnerable to being made fun of as anything else of theirs. Alive and Jeremy and Black or WTF ever it's called are all worse. At least Even Flow is a legit rocking tune and the chorus kicks ass.

I like a lot of PJ songs including all of them listed here. That first album was legitimately great.
  • Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,235
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

Always gets an instant WTF reaction when I tell people they peaked early and got boring and lame after Vitalogy. Then I tell them to name five songs after that and I prove my point every time

I agree. Most bands peak very early, and subsequently run out of steam creatively. Grunge was similar to the protest and "Summer of Love" bands of the 60's, IMO.

Some write about common themes, love songs, torch songs, drinking songs, fantasy, horror...these two "groups" of bands were writing about current events, public (the war, society, government, revolution) and private (loss, relationships, addiction, society), specific to the time they wrote them. Once they are heard, they are passe`(pardon my French and punctuation) to the artist. A hell of a lot of great music was made in the 60's by bands that were one-hit-wonders, or on a slog to irrelevancy, if they didn't move on creatively.

Once you get paid, your perspective changes...I think it would be very difficult to write songs of angst, outrage, protest, while sitting in a waterfront estate vs. a dingy basement with bandmates for roommates, and a rattletrap van in the front yard...

The Stones made relevant music for about 20 years (morphing from blues to pop, psychedelic, roots, c&w, reggae, disco, punk, and back), The Who for 14, The Beach Boys for about 5 (no Beatles because they broke up)...CSN (and Y, when he was in the mood) came as close to a great 2nd act as there is, IMO. I'm sure there are others, but the point is that the above mentioned groups are still packing houses, and no one who pays $$ to see them wants to hear "the new album"...I think PJ is right where they should be, and they get it...

Swaye's Wigwam

Always gets an instant WTF reaction when I tell people they peaked early and got boring and lame after Vitalogy. Then I tell them to name five songs after that and I prove my point every time

Hail, Hail and Red Mosquito.

But that’s only 2.
    Founders Club

But that’s only 2.
    Just Breathe, Crazy Mary, World Wide Suicide, Life Wasted, I am Mine, Bushleaguer, Dance of the Clairvoyants

Really their best work is all the live concerts they’ve released off the sound boards. No two concerts are the same.

Swaye's Wigwam
    pawz said:

But that’s only 2.
    Just Breathe, Crazy Mary, World Wide Suicide, Life Wasted, I am Mine, Bushleaguer, Dance of the Clairvoyants

Really their best work is all the live concerts they’ve released off the sound boards. No two concerts are the same.

I like Unemployable off that avocado album.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,717
    Founders Club
    Fishpo31 said:

I agree. Most bands peak very early, and subsequently run out of steam creatively. Grunge was similar to the protest and "Summer of Love" bands of the 60's, IMO.

Some write about common themes, love songs, torch songs, drinking songs, fantasy, horror...these two "groups" of bands were writing about current events, public (the war, society, government, revolution) and private (loss, relationships, addiction, society), specific to the time they wrote them. Once they are heard, they are passe`(pardon my French and punctuation) to the artist. A hell of a lot of great music was made in the 60's by bands that were one-hit-wonders, or on a slog to irrelevancy, if they didn't move on creatively.

Once you get paid, your perspective changes...I think it would be very difficult to write songs of angst, outrage, protest, while sitting in a waterfront estate vs. a dingy basement with bandmates for roommates, and a rattletrap van in the front yard...

The Stones made relevant music for about 20 years (morphing from blues to pop, psychedelic, roots, c&w, reggae, disco, punk, and back), The Who for 14, The Beach Boys for about 5 (no Beatles because they broke up)...CSN (and Y, when he was in the mood) came as close to a great 2nd act as there is, IMO. I'm sure there are others, but the point is that the above mentioned groups are still packing houses, and no one who pays $$ to see them wants to hear "the new album"...I think PJ is right where they should be, and they get it...

Steppenwolf is a huge example of this