Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Your favorite conifer of the Western US?

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam

Your favorite conifer of the Western US? 26 votes

Douglas Fir
26%
whlinderBennyBeaverYouKnowItchuckdfleahaie1to392831weretaken 7 votes
Ponderosa Pine
11%
PurpleThrobberYellowSnowbooker14 3 votes
Giant Sequoia
3%
dnc 1 vote
Juniper
0%
Redwood
19%
DerekJohnsonRaceBannonFire_Marshall_BillDoubleJDawgBleachedAnusDawg 5 votes
Western Red Cedar
19%
Mad_Sonbiak1Purple_PillsLebamDawgFishpo31 5 votes
Engelmann Spruce
0%
Sitka Spruce
3%
huskyhooligan 1 vote
Noble Fir
0%
F.O. Row Peter Puffer, you left off...
15%
Williams3Ice_HolmvikdannarcSECDAWG 4 votes

Comments

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2023
    Ponderosa Pine
    I love all the tress on the list, but there's always been something about the Ponderosa that spoke to me. Plus as a resident of Ponderosa logging camp, I gotta support my local wood.

2nd place is the Western Red Cedar which is a sacred plant for row peter puffers. But in Seattle I had a 90 footer in my back yard, I had to clear its copious needles off the roof 3 times each wall, so we have a love/hate relationship.

• PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,658
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited May 2023
    Ponderosa Pine
    https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2023/may/08/ponderosa-pines-and-other-trees-of-eastern-washing/

The fags (Hi Bob Huggins) in Olympia just yesterday recognized that, in fact, there are trees in the 509 area code.

TTTTT, I know.

WAR PONDEROSA!!

WOOD!

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,717
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Redwood
    South of Crescent City on the 101 is one of the most beautiful places on earth. Nice campground too. Actually pitched a tent there back in the day
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Ponderosa Pine

South of Crescent City on the 101 is one of the most beautiful places on earth. Nice campground too. Actually pitched a tent there back in the day

I can easily rationalize Redwoods as my top choice as well. Spent a ton of time as kid among the Redwoods of Sonoma County, CA.

Still arguably the best deck wood of all time, even over cedar. Also, fuck yo Trex @CFetters_Nacho_Lover

• LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,510
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Western Red Cedar
    When I logged off the danger trees on the ex-gentlemen's farm in Lebam I made sure all the cedars were left standing. and they were huge. Plus when the branches all broke off it made great kindling to start the fires. Had beehives living in the cracks and crevices in 3 of the trees.

Plus the wood smells better than any other.
  • coronabruincoronabruin Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,478
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    (Powder) blue spruce
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Douglas Fir
    #2 grade. Good for framing.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Ponderosa Pine

The Doug Fir is the Toyota Sienna of conifers @1to392831weretaken
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Ponderosa Pine

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2023/may/08/ponderosa-pines-and-other-trees-of-eastern-washing/

The fags (Hi Bob Huggins) in Olympia just yesterday recognized that, in fact, there are trees in the 509 area code.

TTTTT, I know.

WAR PONDEROSA!!

WOOD!

I don't think they have a Ponderosa at the OR State Capital either. To damn moist for them in Salem.

Alas, my Ponderosas are bigger and better than yours (more sunshine) and the MILFS are richer and hotter.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2023
    Douglas Fir

The Doug Fir is the Toyota Sienna of conifers @1to392831weretaken
    So only for biggus dickus, secure in their manhood, logical, use the best tool for the job manly men? You make a good point!

CSB Tim: Everyone assumes my daughter's name is "Sienna" like the minivan and not "Siena" like the city in Italy after which she was named. It was only dumb luck that her hair is the exact color of the buildings there, so I could understand not seeing the connection, but, come on... I like minivans, but that much?
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,658
    Ponderosa Pine

TTTTT, I know.

WAR PONDEROSA!!

WOOD!

I don't think they have a Ponderosa at the OR State Capital either. To damn moist for them in Salem.

Alas, my Ponderosas are bigger and better than yours (more sunshine) and the MILFS are richer and hotter.

The Gosser Ranch Milfs had a good chuckle at that.
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,587
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Douglas Fir
    Lots of good choices, but for me, nothing tops an old growth Douglas Fir. They can be hard to find in my neighborhood, just like giant red cedars, unless you walk steep stream valleys where the pioneers couldn't get to them. The bark, the straight trunk, and the height (though most have lost their tops there are 250'+ firs out here. The Doug fir can outgrow pretty much anything in terms of height.

The giant redwoods are undeniably cool. Quite a few of them grow around here (not native) and I'm amazed at how many people don't know about the wrestling mat-like sponginess the bark has. You can punch them pain free and for some dumb reason I always like to show people that That's good wood too.
  • coronabruincoronabruin Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,478
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

TTTTT, I know.

WAR PONDEROSA!!

WOOD!

WOOD
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,587
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Douglas Fir

Partial to the Spruce. Little less known than Doug Firs, WR Cedars and the strangely omitted Western Hemlock. I mean who puts Junipers on the list ahead of Western Hemlock? The king of White Wakanda is who.

Ponderosa can be found on the west side of the mountains but I don't think naturally. Mostly found in sporadic yards. The lodgepole pine is probably more common pine though especially on the eastern slope of the cascades and much of the okanogan and Idaho. Its much easier to find on the west side of the mountains as well.

Noble Firs are my go to Christmas tree. There's a great amount of them off the road to / from Mt. St. Helens. They are so symmetrical it adds an interesting look to the forest.

Yews are a great landscaping tree.

Junipers? Really?

My love for the Spruce mostly comes from this bad boy at the Hoh Rain Forest. Reminds me a lot of @PurpleBaze due to its girth and length.

Blue spruce has been my favorite Christmas tree for as long as I can remember. They're sometimes easier to find around here than Noble, which tends to be above the snow line when I'm looking.

Plus nobody...cats, dogs, annoying people...fucks with a spruce Christmas tree. It's like getting jabbed with sewing pins.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Ponderosa Pine

TTTTT, I know.

WAR PONDEROSA!!

WOOD!

You got them big booty Sark relatives up there buying property? Yuck.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2023
    Ponderosa Pine

Partial to the Spruce. Little less known than Doug Firs, WR Cedars and the strangely omitted Western Hemlock. I mean who puts Junipers on the list ahead of Western Hemlock? The king of White Wakanda is who.

Ponderosa can be found on the west side of the mountains but I don't think naturally. Mostly found in sporadic yards. The lodgepole pine is probably more common pine though especially on the eastern slope of the cascades and much of the okanogan and Idaho. Its much easier to find on the west side of the mountains as well.

Noble Firs are my go to Christmas tree. There's a great amount of them off the road to / from Mt. St. Helens. They are so symmetrical it adds an interesting look to the forest.

Yews are a great landscaping tree.

Junipers? Really?

My love for the Spruce mostly comes from this bad boy at the Hoh Rain Forest. Reminds me a lot of @PurpleBaze due to its girth and length.

Listen cum boi, the pole is the Western US, not just west of the crest and the Ponderosa is one of the most important trees of the west. Juniper is here to mix it up and have a little bio diversity in the pole and in terms of sq miles, probably more of them than any other tree out west.

My first White Wakanda Xmas tree was a 14' juniper that I cut down to size. My house smelled like Tanqueray Gin for a month.

Lodgepoles are boring and wimpy.