Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Fight breaks out on golf course

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,711
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
edited April 2023 in Tug Tavern

Comments

• WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,699
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    Never have come to blows but close. Lots of yelling and swearing. We always played quickly but sometimes the idiots behind you think its your fault that the family of four, playing their only round of golf of the year on Memorial Day at the muni that is ahead of you and playing for a five and a half hour round looking for lost balls, hitting it 10 yards at a time and then five putting. After having them drive into our foursome while putting a couple of times we would send the ball back at them. For some reason they found that upsetting. Plus there may have been some drinking going on.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,711
    Founders Club

Never have come to blows but close. Lots of yelling and swearing. We always played quickly but sometimes the idiots behind you think its your fault that the family of four, playing their only round of golf of the year on Memorial Day at the muni that is ahead of you and playing for a five and a half hour round looking for lost balls, hitting it 10 yards at a time and then five putting. After having them drive into our foursome while putting a couple of times we would send the ball back at them. For some reason they found that upsetting. Plus there may have been some drinking going on.

If we're gonna start bashing five-putting, I'm out!!!
    Standard Supporter

If we're gonna start bashing five-putting, I'm out!!!
    If you are consistently five putting ahead of me I better not see any plumb bobbing or lining up the putt from both sides of the hole.
  • georgiaduckgeorgiaduck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,534
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Playing 18 with BendintheRiver - after five putting on the first hole he told me that next to his kids being born, that was the happiest day of his life.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,718
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited April 2023
    My friend and I got paired up with these jackasses at Jefferson once. We were pretty young and didn't know golf etiquette at all. It didn't get close to a fight, but before the ninth we told them to just go ahead. We went to short nines for a while after that.
  • SwisherSweetboySwisherSweetboy Member Posts: 563
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

My friend and I got paired up with these jackasses at Jefferson once. We were pretty young and didn't know golf etiquette at all. It didn't get close to a fight, but before the ninth we told them to just go ahead. We went to short nines for a while after that.

So that was you.

Played a LOT in the late 80's and early 90's when it was tough to get a tee time anywhere within 2 hours of Seattle. Bellevue Muni was the worst for shenanigans like above. Hurt my back and retired. I was a hacker anyways, did OK on the short Muni courses but longer ones killed me. What an addicting game, you knew that your next shot could be the best shot of your life. It usually wasn't.
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,510
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2023
    Had a golf outing in Orting (forget the name of the course) where my sister and sister-in-laws were taking so long to play that the group of guys behind finally started teeing off when they were in range. They were getting pissed, so my sister on 4 consecutive holes stepped on their tee shots.

The course in Orting is extremely wet and she sunk the shots deep in the turf. They stopped and waited to tee off after that - lost their balls I suppose.

I know I would have asked them to step aside so I could play through but I was in the group in front of them so did not care. We had all the time in the world as no one was pushing us from behind. (greek jokes welcome)

Edit: that is why I used to take days off from work so I did not run across the slow golfers on the weekend. Or tee off at 5:30 AM to finish before they got there
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,587
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I had a close call with an obnoxious fuck a couple of summers ago. If the starter and rangers would do their job right, or at all, it never would have happened. This guy violated just about every golf etiquette rule I've ever known and it wrecked our whole front 9 having to follow him. Something had to be said.

It didn't surprise me too much that he was ready to throw down when I opened my mouth at the turn. Only an block headed prick would pull the shit he was pulling out there. I was pretty sure I was about to be in a fight but his buddy sprinted to cut him off and then my two playing partners, who I'm pretty sure were just going to let it happen (fuckers) decided to step in between us as well.

It seems ridiculous to get in any kind of confrontation over golf but people are cock suckers and sometimes have to be called out for it no matter where you are. Golf courses, in particular, attract a lot of cock suckers.
  • SkipBoydSkipBoyd Member Posts: 403
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    LebamDawg said:

Had a golf outing in Orting (forget the name of the course) where my sister and sister-in-laws were taking so long to play that the group of guys behind finally started teeing off when they were in range. They were getting pissed, so my sister on 4 consecutive holes stepped on their tee shots.

The course in Orting is extremely wet and she sunk the shots deep in the turf. They stopped and waited to tee off after that - lost their balls I suppose.

I know I would have asked them to step aside so I could play through but I was in the group in front of them so did not care. We had all the time in the world as no one was pushing us from behind. (greek jokes welcome)

Edit: that is why I used to take days off from work so I did not run across the slow golfers on the weekend. Or tee off at 5:30 AM to finish before they got there

High Cedars. Generally speaking, if you’re not playing in August the ball needs no extra incentive to bury itself there.
  • BlueduckBlueduck Member Posts: 1,063
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited April 2023
    LebamDawg said:

High cedars? I've only played it once but hit 100s of buckets on the range. I lived just up the road on mccutcheon...A buddy of mine and I used to hunt the pond on the 8th tee by the river. Only until the greens thawed.. We posted up facing the hill and had to be done and picking up by the time the first group made the 3rd Tee.
    Ownership changed, management changed, and they booted us and gave permission to someone else.

Beautiful course on a frosty/rainy October November December butt crack of dawn!
    Many limits were had.. many salmon died afterwards too..haha

Good times!
  • thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 5,484
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    I’ve never gotten into a fight on the golf course. I have seen a guy get his ass whipped in the parking lot at a muni but that was like 20 years ado and I can’t remember what the situation was.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,044
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

I love it when it is an old fashioned fight. No guns or knives.

Lefty in blue dodged while orange threw haymakers that never landed. Lefty waited, waited, waited, saw his opening and then jabbed Mr. Haymaker in the nose, which of course was his come to Jesus moment, and the fight ended.

It's all fun and games until the eyes start to water.

I belonged to this club called Coto De Caza in Orange County. Some snooty people but most were nice. I hit the perfect 3 wood on a fairway. It went about 70 yards further than I had hit one before or since with that club. 280-290 yard 3 wood, unheard of for me. There was a foursome on the green and they were putting. My ball rolled up onto the green and right through the legs of a guy addressing his ball and hit his ball. I had yelled four, they heard it but never looked up. I yell "FOUR" , the ball rolls through his legs and all we hear is "NO SHIT".

We see them on the next tee box, I approach them and apologize. The guy I had hit the ball through the legs of was Alice Cooper. Super cool guy and was a great golfer. Go figure.

Probably the coolest story ever on this shithole of a bored.
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,479

Lefty in blue dodged while orange threw haymakers that never landed. Lefty waited, waited, waited, saw his opening and then jabbed Mr. Haymaker in the nose, which of course was his come to Jesus moment, and the fight ended.

I belonged to this club called Coto De Caza in Orange County. Some snooty people but most were nice. I hit the perfect 3 wood on a fairway. It went about 70 yards further than I had hit one before or since with that club. 280-290 yard 3 wood, unheard of for me. There was a foursome on the green and they were putting. My ball rolled up onto the green and right through the legs of a guy addressing his ball and hit his ball. I had yelled four, they heard it but never looked up. I yell "FOUR" , the ball rolls through his legs and all we hear is "NO SHIT".

We see them on the next tee box, I approach them and apologize. The guy I had hit the ball through the legs of was Alice Cooper. Super cool guy and was a great golfer. Go figure.

Coto De Caza used to have a nice shooting range. I doubt it still exists.
  • BendintheriverBendintheriver Member Posts: 5,253
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Sledog said:

Coto De Caza used to have a nice shooting range. I doubt it still exists.
    The shooting range that was there when I joined is where Kobe built his swimming pool and home. The pool had a pirate cave with a lazy river running through it. Don't know where they moved the shooting range buy my guess, like yours, is it probably is no longer in existence.
  • BendintheriverBendintheriver Member Posts: 5,253
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Playing 18 with BendintheRiver - after five putting on the first hole he told me that next to his kids being born, that was the happiest day of his life.

Sure thing Mr. Wiff.
  • AlexisAlexis Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,977
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2023
    Guy at Auburn years ago got into it with an old guy behind him and hit him with his 6 iron. Ended up doing actual time for it. Can't remember how much but it was more than a weekend for sure. We always said it was a stupid club choice. You have to use your 6 iron a few times at Auburn. Should have hit him with his 4. Rarely have to pull that one out.
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    The only thing that can ruin a good day of golf is having to sit through a 5+ hour 18 round because one of the groups in front of you doesn't realize they are holding everyone up. I can understand the frustration and when you combine that with a couple of younger test laced group of dudes guzzling down their Trulys this isn't really a shocker. Marshalls need to be better at doing their jobs instead of chasing after the dudes who veered 5 feet off the cart path to go around something. If you suck at golf and are constantly shanking your tee shots into the woods you can not spend 5-10 minutes looking for every ball. Take a drop and move along. Also stop fucking buying Pro V1s and stick to Kirklands, you won't have the urge to where's Waldo those things since they are like less than $2 a ball at Costco and when you suck make no difference at all from a Pro V1.
    Standard Supporter

The only thing that can ruin a good day of golf is having to sit through a 5+ hour 18 round because one of the groups in front of you doesn't realize they are holding everyone up. I can understand the frustration and when you combine that with a couple of younger test laced group of dudes guzzling down their Trulys this isn't really a shocker. Marshalls need to be better at doing their jobs instead of chasing after the dudes who veered 5 feet off the cart path to go around something. If you suck at golf and are constantly shanking your tee shots into the woods you can not spend 5-10 minutes looking for every ball. Take a drop and move along. Also stop fucking buying Pro V1s and stick to Kirklands, you won't have the urge to where's Waldo those things since they are like less than $2 a ball at Costco and when you suck make no difference at all from a Pro V1.

The golf industry has made a shallow commitment to speeding up slow play but has a hard time enforcing it. I'm a quick player, get my club selected, make some practice swings while waiting and then ready to go. But still, a big percentage of golfers hate ready golf and get pissed if I hit my second shot while they are dinking around with club selection. And a significant number freak out at any movement while it's their turn to hit. Like lining up your putt while they are on the other side of the cup from their ball looking at the break and they are away.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,709
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I have a 30 second jump on my dvr and use it when guys like Cantlay are lining up a putt. I've got to 90 seconds rather easily. The rules are 40

Idiots watch that and then miss by 5 feet anyway