Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Official Motivation Monday Thread

13»

Comments

• pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,687
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

I have a C2 at home, but I can't go two weeks without injuring something, so it's mostly a coat rack. Kind of a catch-22 of wanting to be in shape so I'm more durable but not being durable enough to get in shape.

My current situation. FML
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

I have a C2 at home, but I can't go two weeks without injuring something, so it's mostly a coat rack. Kind of a catch-22 of wanting to be in shape so I'm more durable but not being durable enough to get in shape.

I’ve found that the key to successfully enduring old man C2 work outs is that you have to build up the connective tissue very slowly. It’s a process of 3 to 6 months. Most people try to crank too hard from the get go and get broken.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2023
    El_K said:

You can’t out train a shitty diet and the way clothes fit never lies

I signed up with Anytime Fitness for a 50+ dude challenge. 12 weeks to knock off 10 years of rust and 3 years of working at home. Money well spent. While the workouts were more fast paced, it is what I needed at the time and used stuff in the gym I wouldn’t have looked at before. It mainly got the go to the gym habit back in motion

Now I am just back to lifting heavier weights four days a week. A Push/Legs/Push/Pull split. I weigh less than pre-pandemic times which is a good thing I guess

I have some Powerblock adjustable dumbbells I throw around during the day and a 10lb medicine ball to twist around in and some bands as well.

I bought a shit ton of those muscle milk protein shakes and power protein shakes from Costco. Lots of protein. If you do weight watchers they are only 2 points which is great.

So get back to the gym or moving! Perhaps there will be Kiana Tom boob photos in the Wam???

Jack Lalanne, the original celebrity fitness guru, said, “Exercise is king. Nutrition is queen. Put them together, and you've got a kingdom.”

Jack is still right. You can’t completely out train a shitty diet, but it sure gives one a much bigger margin for error.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,708
    Founders Club
    El_K said:

I signed up with Anytime Fitness for a 50+ dude challenge. 12 weeks to knock off 10 years of rust and 3 years of working at home. Money well spent. While the workouts were more fast paced, it is what I needed at the time and used stuff in the gym I wouldn’t have looked at before. It mainly got the go to the gym habit back in motion

Now I am just back to lifting heavier weights four days a week. A Push/Legs/Push/Pull split. I weigh less than pre-pandemic times which is a good thing I guess

I have some Powerblock adjustable dumbbells I throw around during the day and a 10lb medicine ball to twist around in and some bands as well.

I bought a shit ton of those muscle milk protein shakes and power protein shakes from Costco. Lots of protein. If you do weight watchers they are only 2 points which is great.

So get back to the gym or moving! Perhaps there will be Kiana Tom boob photos in the Wam???

Can you please include a trigger warning the next time you include a terrorist organization in a poast?
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I erged today, lifted weights, worked 8 hrs, changed my own oil, drank 5 beers, and threw the football with my kids and it’s only 6:30.

You guysm are soft.
  • Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,955
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

El_K said:

Jack Lalanne, the original celebrity fitness guru, said, “Exercise is king. Nutrition is queen. Put them together, and you've got a kingdom.”

Jack is still right. You can’t completely out train a shitty diet, but it sure gives one a much bigger margin for error.
    That’s a great quote.

I’d also add sleep and stress management as the prince and princess. Almost everyone I know who struggles with fitness/health is lacking in these areas. I do so much better with eating right and exercising when I meditate and get in at least 7 hours of quality shut eye.
    Founders Club

El_K said:

That’s a great quote.

I’d also add sleep and stress management as the prince and princess. Almost everyone I know who struggles with fitness/health is lacking in these areas. I do so much better with eating right and exercising when I meditate and get in at least 7 hours of quality shut eye.
    Meditation and eating right go a long long way. One could argue exercise is a form of meditation, but that is a topic for another day.

Swaye's Wigwam

El_K said:

That’s a great quote.

I know some people can get by on 7 hrs. I need 8 min and preferable 9 to 10.

Old man Yella goes to bad every night at like 9PM.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,708
    Founders Club

El_K said:

That’s a great quote.

I know some people can get by on 7 hrs. I need 8 min and preferable 9 to 10.

Old man Yella goes to bad every night at like 9PM.
    Up until about 49, I was a well oiled machine and functioned very well on 6 hours of sleep. Now I’m at 7-8 hours a night.
    Founders Club
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,735
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

My gym is starting to get crowded and it's irritating. For the first 7 years I was a member, I could go in anytime before 7am or anytime after 8pm and there would be maybe one other person in there, if that. Now there's like 20 people in there all the time. Not sure if everyone is suddenly on a kick to lose the COVID weight, but like I said it's irritating.

Still better than going in around 4 or 5pm. That's when all the high school and college guys swarm the place. They're loud. They're always crowding around each other and talking, making it hard to get through. They're often on their phone while sitting at a machine or bench while other people are waiting. fuck those guys. Get out of my gym.

I have noticed a lot of dudes that only workout their upper body, too. They look silly having arms bigger than their thighs, but to each their own I guess. I spend 2x as much time working on my lower body than I do upper, because I'm smart.

TL:DR I just wanted to brag that I go to the gym.

Squats trump all of the upper body strength training exercises.

Spoken like a man with un-trashed knees. Smug Bastard.
    Swaye's Wigwam

My gym is starting to get crowded and it's irritating. For the first 7 years I was a member, I could go in anytime before 7am or anytime after 8pm and there would be maybe one other person in there, if that. Now there's like 20 people in there all the time. Not sure if everyone is suddenly on a kick to lose the COVID weight, but like I said it's irritating.

Still better than going in around 4 or 5pm. That's when all the high school and college guys swarm the place. They're loud. They're always crowding around each other and talking, making it hard to get through. They're often on their phone while sitting at a machine or bench while other people are waiting. fuck those guys. Get out of my gym.

I have noticed a lot of dudes that only workout their upper body, too. They look silly having arms bigger than their thighs, but to each their own I guess. I spend 2x as much time working on my lower body than I do upper, because I'm smart.

I skied some thick and sticky, off-piste spring snow back on April 30 and my left knee feels a little gimpy ever since. Taking a squat break to heal.
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,735
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

I skied some thick and sticky, off-piste spring snow back on April 30 and my left knee feels a little gimpy ever since. Taking a squat break to heal.
    Blew mine out as a HS Frosh. Never surgically repaired, but re-injured as a HS Sr which kinda fucked my wrestling career. Ever since, I biked, ran and skied a lot of black diamond runs without incident, by staying on my inside edges at all times. Turns out that ACL thingy isn't as important as people think. The meniscus, however, can hurt like a mother-fucker after a lot of use.

Thank God for Rum and Bourbon treatments.
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,510
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I screwed up my lateral meniscus on my right knee when I first hit the road (5th day out) and then this past November it really started getting bad. Went out about 4-5 times. Finally got an MR right knee. I have an appointment on the 23rd to review the MRI - not looking good for Lebamdawg as far as knees go.

This is the analyses
    IMPRESSION:
    1. Bucket-handle/flipped lateral meniscus.
    2. Knee osteoarthritis.
    3. Grade IV chondromalacia involving the lateral tibiofemoral compartment.
    4. Grade III chondromalacia involving the medial tibiofemoral compartment.
    5. ACL degeneration sequela from remote partial tearing
    6. Small joint effusion.

Number 3 suggests I kneed a replacement. Got the MRI in San Antonio and will get surgery up in Centralia this July if that is what I kneed. The doctor in San Antonio wanted to do it in February but I was leaving Dodge. Won't be anywhere to get it done until July.
    The entire process I have used as an excuse to increase my alcohol consumption.

No exercise or long walks to gain perspective for me.