Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Posted by Request.

haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,350
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
Swaye's Wigwam
I was told that talking about beer was 'badass' so I feel compelled to rank SWWA/Portland breweries. Somewhat categorized by NW school affiliation:

10 - 5440 Brewing. School: UW
Notes: Great German beer place out in a Washougal industrial area. Probably the best Kolsch in the area which is distributed.

9 - Great Notion. School: OSU
Notes: Best sours and experimental beers. Phone app is a great product where you can have them deliver beer. Blackberry sour brewed with maple syrup as a "breakfast" sour. Very tasty.

8 - Ghost Runners Brewery. School: Oregon
Notes: Only place I've been to that offered a nitro Irish red ale. Most beers are very high ABV, plus there's a poster of Prefontaine there which reminds you to not drink and drive after.

7 - Gigantic. School: Oregon
Notes: Have to respect that they harass you if you wear UW gear there. The homeless encampment in front of it gives you a cool Resident Evil/Authentic Portland vibe.

6 - Cascadia Brothers Brewing. School: WSU
Notes: Smart enough to just have food carts out front. LOTR Middle Earth Hazy is amazing.

5 - Grains of Wrath. School: WSU
Notes: Ripsaw is great. Dive Bar Lager is the best micro brewery take on a shit beer I've found.

4 - Ruse Brewing. School: OSU
Notes: Miami Slice is amazing pizza with pickle cucumber and pineapple mustard. Similar Science IPA is great and their smoothie sour is very good.

3 - StormBreaker Brewing. School: Oregon
Notes: Son of Jango is a great IPA and they always used to let me get belligerently shit faced in 2016 when UW was shitting all over everyone.

2 - Vice Beer. School: WSU
Notes: Best smoothie sours. Pog drop orange slushy sour highly recommended during the summer.

1 - TrapDoor. School: going to go with UW here but maybe WSU
Notes: All around best of everything. Most places are good at one kind of beer, this place makes a lot of shit and it's all great. Best day drinking beers. Place is always packed.

HM: Backwoods, Thunder Island, Pfriem, Loowit.

Comments

• haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,350
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2023
    dtd said:

Forgot about Doomsday.

Agent Orange IPA.

For some reason it's hard to find IPA's like that. People really want to just drink a flowery pieces of shit where the brewer's creativity only involved shoving in as many Galaxy Hops as humanely possible?
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,395
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    The Great Notion breakfast brew you speak of is blueberry, not blackberry. And it is f'ing tasty. You're sleeping on their hazy IPA's. Should be ranked higher than 9.
    Swaye's Wigwam

The Great Notion breakfast brew you speak of is blueberry, not blackberry. And it is f'ing tasty. You're sleeping on their hazy IPA's. Should be ranked higher than 9.

Yeah that sounds right. It's a variation of Blueberry Muffin.

I like most of their beers. Last one I had was a 9.5% chocolate donut stout. And then their Sunday Orange sour.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    I think Bend has overtaken Portland as the Oregon Brewery capital.

The Cellar, GoodLife, and Cruz Fermentation Project are my favorite. Especially with Portland going to shit, Bend is the new spot for a night out for good beers
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2023

The Cellar, GoodLife, and Cruz Fermentation Project are my favorite. Especially with Portland going to shit, Bend is the new spot for a night out for good beers

It's hard to find a bad brewery in Bend and for me it comes down to venue now.

Crux was top of my list there and then there's a huge property just outside of downtown that was enjoyable. Hop Valley? Don't remember.

Agree about Portland. Lots of great places that went out of business or moved outside of Portland proper. Labrewatory was the best and just down the stretch from Moda Center.
    haie said:

It's hard to find a bad brewery in Bend and for me it comes down to venue now.

Crux was top of my list there and then there's a huge property just outside of downtown that was enjoyable. Hop Valley? Don't remember.

Agree about Portland. Lots of great places that went out of business or moved outside of Portland proper. Labrewatory was the best and just down the stretch from Moda Center.
    I meant Crux, just noticed my Cruz error. I'm sure that was obvious
  • coronabruincoronabruin Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,478
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Craft brewery snobs are the fucking worst

Craft brewery snobs are the fucking worst

Nobody is saying you can't have your tranny Budweiser Corona
  • coronabruincoronabruin Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,478
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Nothing wrong with liking craft beer. Just drink your slightly different forms of fermented hops and stfu about it.
  • thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 5,484
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Beer snobs are just wanna-be wine pricks with lighter wallets.

Now it’s craft Japanese whiskey🙄

Woodford Reserve neat, please. This doesn’t need to be that hard.

If you twist my arm and ask me what beer I want, I guess it’s Sculpin IPA, but if they don’t have it in a can, I don’t agonize over the decision like I’m naming my first born.

It’s just a fuckin beer. It’ll be gone in 10min. Get over it.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,718
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    I'm not the biggest J fan but he's spot on. I haven't lived in the NW for a while and it's been nice not hearing and seeing the craft hipster snobs with their weird mustahces and 50s glasses.
  • 46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I don't recall the comedian but he did a great bit on Cali wine snobs. The ones that were so annoying they could tell you the origins of a grape with a mere taste test, "forth grape, fifth row, Mendocino."

Haie is that dipshit.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2023
    thechatch said:

Beer snobs are just wanna-be wine pricks with lighter wallets.

Now it’s craft Japanese whiskey🙄

Woodford Reserve neat, please. This doesn’t need to be that hard.

If you twist my arm and ask me what beer I want, I guess it’s Sculpin IPA, but if they don’t have it in a can, I don’t agonize over the decision like I’m naming my first born.

It’s just a fuckin beer. It’ll be gone in 10min. Get over it.

lol what a badass 🤣

This isn't a beer snob thread. Follow along.
    Swaye's Wigwam

I'm not the biggest J fan but he's spot on. I haven't lived in the NW for a while and it's been nice not hearing and seeing the craft hipster snobs with their weird mustahces and 50s glasses.

It was like that for awhile but the mustache bros look to have been priced out last few years and now drink Pabst in their apartments.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Back by popular demand. Pulpier than Bo Nix's ankle.

Anyways, going to go play some Resident Evil 4 Remake while wife puts kids to bed and puts easter baskets together or whatever the fuck. Woof!

• Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,718
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    haie said:

It was like that for awhile but the mustache bros look to have been priced out last few years and now drink Pabst in their apartments.
    :o