Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Uncivil War

JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,126
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
https://youtu.be/wFIkQjDtwOw

I referenced this on the pod the other day (shameless plug.)

Forgot that it was hosted by Jake Tapper… (TITTT)

Comments

• Options
    SwisherSweetboySwisherSweetboy Member Posts: 563
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Thanks for that link. Jake Tapper comes across as a big penis in that video. Watch him drive all over the south ripping scabs off old wounds. Everyone he interviewed looked like they wanted to kill him.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,892
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I wonder how it might have turned out for Sknyrd, if like in say, 1978, they get Donnie from .38 Special and started recording new music and continuing to tour?

I can only think of 2 bands that have pulled off the new lead singer- i.e., Van Halen and AC DC - and remained commercially and artistically relevant. And in both of those examples, the key to success was to not wait very long to find a replacement and have good material in the tank. I don't care for Van Hagar but they were still very popular and had #1 albums.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Skynyrd could have possibly pulled it off if they did it right away like AC/DC did. They waited a long time and it was replacing three members instead of just one. By the time they wanted to come back Allen was in a wheelchair as well. Should have been a sign to do something else. Rossington and Collins tried and some of their music is good. Not the same though. Nirvana did it right. Just stop when you’re on the pinnacle of greatness.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,258
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Skynyrd could have possibly pulled it off if they did it right away like AC/DC did. They waited a long time and it was replacing three members instead of just one. By the time they wanted to come back Allen was in a wheelchair as well. Should have been a sign to do something else. Rossington and Collins tried and some of their music is good. Not the same though. Nirvana did it right. Just swallow a shot gun

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Skynyrd could have possibly pulled it off if they did it right away like AC/DC did. They waited a long time and it was replacing three members instead of just one. By the time they wanted to come back Allen was in a wheelchair as well. Should have been a sign to do something else. Rossington and Collins tried and some of their music is good. Not the same though. Nirvana did it right. Just stop when you’re on the pinnacle of greatness.

I think they might have been able to pull off something better than what they were in 1987 and perhaps stay relevant into the early 80's. But probably no where near what AC DC was able to achieve as this was such rare feat that no one else has been able to come close to pulling off. When Bon died, they still has their best batch of songs in the hopper. I don't like Brian nearly as much as Bon, but he was an ideal replacement.

I will die on the hill that Skynyrd peaked in 1974 and their last 3 studio albums, were good, but not great.

Kurt went out on top but was a pussy. The Beatles are really the only all time greats who quit while they were on top and with no fatalities. No shitty ass reunion attempts either to soil their legacy unless you count Free as a Bird and Real Love off the Anthology albums.
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,248
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I was not really aware of Skynyrd until One More From the Road in 76. It introduced me to their old stuff, and it stands the test of time today as a great live album, IMO. Full of swagger, and much respect to Gaines for making the live cuts really take off. Like so many other great, over-played songs, I can't remember the last time I willingly listened to Freebird or Sweet Home Alabama. I listen to the deeper cuts to this day.

We will never know what Gaines was going to bring, over a period of time. There were a few good cuts on Street Survivors for me, but a lot of filler...
  • Options
    Founders Club

I think they might have been able to pull off something better than what they were in 1987 and perhaps stay relevant into the early 80's. But probably no where near what AC DC was able to achieve as this was such rare feat that no one else has been able to come close to pulling off. When Bon died, they still has their best batch of songs in the hopper. I don't like Brian nearly as much as Bon, but he was an ideal replacement.

I will die on the hill that Skynyrd peaked in 1974 and their last 3 studio albums, were good, but not great.

Kurt went out on top but was a pussy. The Beatles are really the only all time greats who quit while they were on top and with no fatalities. No shitty ass reunion attempts either to soil their legacy unless you count Free as a Bird and Real Love off the Anthology albums.
    Nuthin’ Fancy has some heavy cuts that are like a precursor to Stoner and Sludge rock. Gimme Back My Bullets was a sign they needed a fresh songwriter after Ed King left. I’ll die on the hill that Gaines would have revived them for two more albums then do his own solo stuff. Southern Randy Rhoads
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Nuthin’ Fancy has some heavy cuts that are like a precursor to Stoner and Sludge rock. Gimme Back My Bullets was a sign they needed a fresh songwriter after Ed King left. I’ll die on the hill that Gaines would have revived them for two more albums then do his own solo stuff. Southern Randy Rhoads
    On The Hunt is their best post Second Helping track.
  • Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,491
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    One depressing thing I recently heard is one of the reasons rock bands and music groups have been phased out the past 20 years there's way less conflict when a musical act is just one person. Problem is conflict can fuel creativity and force people to dig deeper for better shit.

One thing I've noticed is almost every single newer artist I like now puts out a really good album then starts to put out way too much of what they really want, and a lot of time it's boring, because I think they no longer have conflict or push back.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,258
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Ronnie Van Zandt beat up band members who fucked up

James Brown just fined them

The idea of bands has lost its luster with the fragmentation of music. Technology allows the one man or woman band
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,965
    Founders Club

Ronnie Van Zandt beat up band members who fucked up

James Brown just fined them

The idea of bands has lost its luster with the fragmentation of music. Technology allows the one man or woman band

Ronnie Van Zandt was the Steve Emtman of rock bands
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Powderfinger on their post Street Survivors album would have kicked ass.

Look out mama, there’s a white boat coming up the river.
  • Options
    AOGAOG Member Posts: 1,467
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220

Disagree.

While their first 3 albums after Bon's death were very good albums, they aren't as good as Powerage, High Voltage and Highway to Hell. And if you add in Fly on the Wall and Blow Up Your Video on Brian's side and Let There Be Rock and Dirty Deeds on Bon's side, then it's even more in Bon's favor. Back in Black kicks a ton of ass, but it's not their best album regardless of number of albums sold.

Brian was a great follow up, but there's no replacement for Bon Scott. He's in the top three front men in rock and roll.

In my opinion.