Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Chinsightful pod from Caple/O'Neil with Cooper Petagna

CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
Swaye's Wigwam
https://open.spotify.com/episode/3ClSgQfKB40ei1xVmK1Nsw?si=7fGYfNShRqqh4n9VyvYoxw

Cooper gives some very behind the scenes views to Petersen and recruiting in general as well as specific situations during his time here. Couple honest thoughts about UW vs UO and their differences.

Comments

• Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,485
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited March 2023
    Cliff notes, anyone?
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,861
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    haie said:

Cliff notes, anyone?

Pete was great recruiter when he wanted to be.

They thought they had Charbonnet in the bag.

Jimmy Lake fired him and was a shit boss.

His favorite thing about DeBoer's recruiting is his offense isn't shit.

Cristobol took players just to boost his neckbeard rankings.

Oregon is all Uncle Phil and when he sells the couch their entire program will be engulfed in a southern Oregon wildfire.

As rivals UW and UO are completely different and UW shouldn't try to emulate anything they do in recruiting/branding.
    TYFYS
  • Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,491
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Actually a really good podcast and was pretty surprised by his candor. I definitely agree with Washington needing to be Washington to beat out Oregon and not chasing them. My main worry/question is if getting guys who want to live in Seattle in the 2020s means you're getting guys who don't live, sleep, eat, shit football and it's only a step up from going to play school.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Actually a really good podcast and was pretty surprised by his candor. I definitely agree with Washington needing to be Washington to beat out Oregon and not chasing them. My main worry/question is if getting guys who want to live in Seattle in the 2020s means you're getting guys who don't live, sleep, eat, shit football and it's only a step up from going to play school.

True but there are enough Odunzes and Pettis' that would rather drive their BRZs around Seattle instead of South Bend or Norman
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,464
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Who was the wr recruit he was talking about that he thought they had to have to get the current room to not be soft that Pete refused to offer?

They made it sound obvious but I dont know wtf they're talking about.

Anyways fuck Pete for that.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,613
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    haie said:

Who was the wr recruit he was talking about that he thought they had to have to get the current room to not be soft that Pete refused to offer?

They made it sound obvious but I dont know wtf they're talking about.

Anyways fuck Pete for that.

I just listened and that was my question as well. Two guys that came to mind were Bru McCoy and Ford who ended up at SC (forgot first name). Just guesses though. Maybe Franklin at Oregon would be a decent guess.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    NEsnake12 said:

Also said Henry Toot Toot tried to commit to UW 3 different times

Not nearly as bad as Cal and Stanford obviously, but it seems the academis is getting to be a real challenge.
  • Options
    insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Cooper explicitly said he got fired by Jimmy Lake but didn't divulge any details as to why. Hopefully he will provide more details in a future pod.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,613
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Cooper explicitly said he got fired by Jimmy Lake but didn't divulge any details as to why. Hopefully he will provide more details in a future pod.

I was trying to listen, drive and eat my breakfast burrito at the same time so I missed some stuff. I thought I heard him talking about being in the 10% or something along those lines. I think he was talking about the 10% with a dissenting opinion. In other words he disagreed with Lake too much.
  • Options
    doogvilledoogville Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,183
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    haie said:

chuck said:

I was trying to listen, drive and eat my breakfast burrito at the same time so I missed some stuff. I thought I heard him talking about being in the 10% or something along those lines. I think he was talking about the 10% with a dissenting opinion. In other words he disagreed with Lake too much.
    It's what this board said for months in 2021. Jimmy wanted cheap Yes men with zero leverage. This guy had enough of a rapport with the staff and success with Petersen that he spoke up.
    Cooper: Hey coach, it’s sort of weird that Emeka doesn’t want to come here. Can you do a home visit?

Lake: You’re fired. I need to get to the golf course.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    With the evolution of that roll growing its nice that UWs current recruiting director got that swag
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Canadawg said:

With the evolution of that roll growing its nice that UWs current recruiting director got that swag

He's one of many people on that staff that we? hated until after the Oregon game.