Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Jarred Kelenic hitting .449 with 4 HRs and 9 RBIs in spring so far

2»

Comments

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

When I was 19 or 20 I organized a fantasy baseball league. I recruited a good friend of mine to play. He didn't know shit about baseball so I gave him a book to read called How to Win at Rotisserie Baseball. He read a section where it talked about the key to winning is getting a great hitting catcher because there are so few of them.

We were doing a draft back then instead of an auction. I had the #1 pick and took Rickey Henderson. Somebody else had the #2 pick and took Jose Canseco. My friend had the #3 pick and took... Mickey Tettleton. Everybody about fell out of their chairs. Based on my memory, Tettleton had hit .220 with 15 homers the year before. Guys started asking my buddy what the hell he was doing. He blamed it on the book I gave him.

He went on to finish dead last

Not to one up or distract from fantasy baseball, but I once participated in a fantasy football league where the company troll (he was a fat little stumpy guy who looked and waddled like a troll) used the first overall pick to take Barry Sanders. Only problem was that Sanders had retired the year prior.
    This same guy was once sent home from work because he had blood on his t-shirt from bleeding hemorrhoids that he apparently was itching at or something. It was of the top-5 most disgusting things I'd ever witnessed. Keep in mind that this was at a place that manufactured sensitive medical devices.

He grunted when he pissed at the urinal while hunching over it to support himself against the wall. Smoked like a chimney and smelled like a tobacco plant that was on fire.

One time he was all pissed off at another guy who was razzing him about something that wasn't a big deal and he threatened to go home, get his gun, and come back and shoot the place up. He got a timeout for the day for that one because nobody actually took him that seriously.

Shockingly, he was married to a female of his species. After meeting her at a company event it was easy to see why they were with each other.
    At me next time bro!!
    I am pro Kelenic. Cautiously optimistic he's figured things out.
  • Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,235
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    True test is first string(?) of o’fers. Pollock to protect is key, as is hitting down in the order
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,587
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fishpo31 said:

True test is first string(?) of o’fers. Pollock to protect is key, as is hitting down in the order

I'm watching to see if he starts taking a few walks too. Right now he isn't and doesn't need to bez but things are about to get a little more serious as spring training hits the home stretch.
  • TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,550
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Pollock in the clubhouse as a positive ally and balancing force is really helpful, hopefully he can be helpful to the kid.
  • HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,514
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Fishpo31 said:

It's great to have Poloock, especially since Dylan Moore has to start the season on the IL.

Pollock is having a very slow spring, hopefully that's not indicative of the season he will have.
    Founders Club
    edited March 2023
    I’m not a hater but I will know that the talent and depth has arrived when we no longer have room for Moore.
    Guys like Moore are interesting. He’ not an everyday player, but he does stuff that an everyday player is unable / unwilling to do…adequate defense at multiple positions (including SS / CF), baserunning, capable pinch hitter. Most important, he wants to do it. It allows you to rest JP, Geno, and others, without praying the ball isn’t hit to them. Haggerty too…

I have always felt that the 2001 M’s MVP was McLemore because of this very reason. When Guillen was lost in the playoffs, Lou lost the flexibility of plugging him in to exploit matchups
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,587
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I’m not a hater but I will know that the talent and depth has arrived when we no longer have room for Moore.

I don't know. It's not easy to have guys better than Moore in bench roles. He isn't a black hole offensively as a role player. He's actually better than most realize especially if used smartly...mostly against lefties. He takes walks and he can hit it over the fence.
    Moore is super valuable, dude can play for my team anyday. Less confident Haggerty what did last year is repeatable but having two legit super utility guys would be a massive advantage.
    Founders Club
    edited March 2023
    Fishpo31 said:

Guys like Moore are interesting. He’ not an everyday player, but he does stuff that an everyday player is unable / unwilling to do…adequate defense at multiple positions (including SS / CF), baserunning, capable pinch hitter. Most important, he wants to do it. It allows you to rest JP, Geno, and others, without praying the ball isn’t hit to them. Haggerty too…

I have always felt that the 2001 M’s MVP was McLemore because of this very reason. When Guillen was lost in the playoffs, Lou lost the flexibility of plugging him in to exploit matchups

Exactly, McLemore was not only a great musician [if u think that] but also the prototype for what you hope for in a utility player... the guy that has above average starter level ability and can play almost any position, and as a result gets in the range of starter level minutes while moving around the field... its the lack of starter level ability that leaves me a little cold on Moore ~ he is really a AAAA player that is versatile, can run, is injured somewhat frequently and is a selfless teammate. A good dude, i just hope that we get to the point via quality depth that we can do better.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

My semi trained eye says that what I’m seeing and hearing from Kelenic is real and not a fluke

Maybe, and the trend is obviously a good one, but meanwhile the broad mix of innings filler to major league pitchers and guys that are simply trying to get their pitch count up at this point in spring training means that batters have been able to sit on a pitch [fastball], so we will see about Kelenic.
    I could care less about numbers

It’s about his attitude, approach, and ability to get out of his way and letting his talent work

Technically when you watch his ABs this spring you’re seeing a far more compact swing and a willingness to stay on pitches even if that means going oppo … these are traits and tendencies that you see in good hitters

The other big gain is on his mental side and not getting out of his way. He’s talked about how his goal is to win each pitch … that’s obviously never going to happen but it doesn’t matter. The positive growth there is it highlights a willingness to flush what just happened and refocus on the next pitch … that’s what you want to hear from someone that has developed a process that they are comfortable with and can repeat

Obviously we’ll see how this works the first time he gets into a regular season slump because it happens for everybody …

But I’m cautiously optimistic that we will start to see what his talent is capable of … if he approaches that the Mariners win the West
    edited March 2023

Fishpo31 said:

Exactly, McLemore was not only a great musician [if u think that] but also the prototype for what you hope for in a utility player... the guy that has above average starter level ability and can play almost any position, and as a result gets in the range of starter level minutes while moving around the field... its the lack of starter level ability that leaves me a little cold on Moore ~ he is really a AAAA player that is versatile, can run, is injured somewhat frequently and is a selfless teammate. A good dude, i just hope that we get to the point via quality depth that we can do better.
    Disagree, rate state wise Moore was every bit as valuable last year as McLemore was in 2001. McLemore only had two other seasons in his career where he had the value of an above average starter, Moore already has two (well one and a half depending on how you treat 2020).

Moore's every bit the super utility guy McLemore was. Probably more. I don't think we disagree on McLemore's value I just think you're really underrating how good Moore has been.

And he'll never have a shitty rapper named after him.
    I agree, but that is why they are role guys. A lot of people went nuts on Haggerty last year, but if they were forced to play him every day, he would recede to below MLB average, as would Moore. They both play with energy, which is just what is needed for the role.

Above average starter- level ability means a starter…the below average tools would be exposed with daily use, and the injury thing because of their effort.

Mac was one of the best at it. I remember Bloomquist leaving because he wanted to be an every day guy, went to KC (IIRC), and became their utility guy.
    Founders Club
    dnc said:

Fishpo31 said:

Disagree, rate state wise Moore was every bit as valuable last year as McLemore was in 2001. McLemore only had two other seasons in his career where he had the value of an above average starter, Moore already has two (well one and a half depending on how you treat 2020).

Moore's every bit the super utility guy McLemore was. Probably more. I don't think we disagree on McLemore's value I just think you're really underrating how good Moore has been.

Agree, I am hopefully just undervaluing Moore [he had a great year in his breakout, hopefully he plays back to that] ~ we all obviously agree on the value and function of the role player and the key to the flexibility provided.
    dnc said:

Fishpo31 said:

I believe it, and did not look at numbers. I was scouting during 2001, and Mac just stood out for me, really, the first time I really saw the utility value…and, no Lil’ UTI Moore, for chrissakes, LOL!