Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Steve Emtman - Greatest Defensive Lineman in Pac-12 History

Comments

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,793
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    AOG said:

why did huge shoulderpads and the horseshoe neck pad go out of vogue? That's the problem!

This!
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,793
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Goduckies said:

Lol uh no 5 years in the NFL vs 12 years Pro Bowler and soon to be hall of famer Haloti Ngata.

Haloti Nadanatty

Pac 12 not NFL

Ben Davidson is better than Natta Natty
    The late Ron Holmes was an unheralded superstar in his own right
    https://patch.com/washington/bellevue/ev--washington-husky-legends-to-appear-at-seattle-teaee1c9e1d03
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,696
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited March 2023

You start with Outland Trophy, consensus All American and national champion. Maybe #1 draft pick overall

So Stan and some Trojan greats

That's it.

Obligatory

Have some respect for Rien Long too for Christ's sake
    dnc said:

You start with Outland Trophy, consensus All American and national champion. Maybe #1 draft pick overall

That's it.

Fourth in the Heisman as a DT is ELITE

Christ they have trouble getting into the Pro Football HOF. I don't understand it. Few positions are more determinative of success than D lineman. Interior D linemen are criminally underappreciated.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,687
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

That's it.

Obligatory

Have some respect for Rien Long too for Christ's sake
    Who?

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,708
    Founders Club

Goduckies said:

Lol uh no 5 years in the NFL vs 12 years Pro Bowler and soon to be hall of famer Haloti Ngata.

Haloti Nadanatty

Pac 12 not NFL

Ben Davidson is better than Natta Natty
    The late Ron Holmes was an unheralded superstar in his own right
    https://patch.com/washington/bellevue/ev--washington-husky-legends-to-appear-at-seattle-teaee1c9e1d03
    That was an interesting day to say the least
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,653
    dnc said:

Goduckies said:

12th NFL pick versus 1st NFL pick.

0 Heisman votes (tied for last in the country) versus 357 Heisman votes (four in the country).

Ngata was a very good player. Stan Emptermann, before he blew out his knees was better.

HTH
    This isn't even debatable.

Only a fucking idiot in their 20's/early 30s would even try to make a case for Ngata.

Stan Empterman was otherworldly.

• AOGAOG Member Posts: 1,450
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

AOG said:

why did huge shoulderpads and the horseshoe neck pad go out of vogue? That's the problem!

This!

• dtddtd Member Posts: 3,996
    Standard Supporter
    edited March 2023
    In Haloti's defense, and I'm not debating here, because there isn't one to be had, but it's not at all a fair comparison. Haloti was a 0 tech 2 gap 3-4 NT most downs. How many modern NFL HoFers are there at that position? Wilfork? Ted Washington? Stan was a wrecking ball who shot gaps and ran TE stunts, and he was a way better college football player, but Haloti was a better Virta Via.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGOaLzgf8TI&ab_channel=SW561

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBHdmX2MINg&ab_channel=J.J.Meredith

lol
    edited March 2023
    dtd said:

In Haloti's defense, and I'm not debating here, because there isn't one to be had, but it's not at all a fair comparison. Haloti was a 0 tech 2 gap 3-4 NT most downs. How many modern NFL HoFers are there at that position? Wilfork? Ted Washington? Stan was a wrecking ball who shot gaps and ran TE stunts, and he was a way better college football player, but Haloti was a better Virta Via.

I like defensive linemen who do both. This guy could stuff and hold the middle and get after the QB like a bitch. Better than store-bought donuts and Mormon Polys IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTycAlWhrt8

At the 1:14 mark, All-Time Husky great Warren Moon says Stan Empterman couldn't hold Kennedy's jock, and Oregon's LDS Poly can't do his laundry. Doesn't get more definitive than that.

Some things to consider:

NFL Defensive Player of the Year (1992) (on a 2 win team)
    3× First-team All-Pro (1992–1994)
    2× Second-team All-Pro (1991, 1996)
    8× Pro Bowl (1991–1996, 1998, 1999)
    NFL 1990s All-Decade Team
    PFWA All-Rookie Team (1990)
    Seattle Seahawks Ring of Honor
    Seattle Seahawks No. 96 retired
    2× National champion (1987, 1989)
    Consensus All-American (1989)
    Pro FB Hall of Fame
    I saw him dunk a basketball

I don't recall where he played in college, but I don't think it was the Pac 10. Word is he wanted to be a Husky but didn't have the grades and was afraid of the competition.

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,687
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Didn't play in the Pac 12

Didn't play in the Pac 12

Are you sure?
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,708
    Founders Club

dtd said:

I like defensive linemen who do both. This guy could stuff and hold the middle and get after the QB like a bitch. Better than store-bought donuts and Mormon Polys IMO.

At the 1:14 mark, All-Time Husky great Warren Moon says Stan Empterman couldn't hold Kennedy's jock, and Oregon's LDS Poly can't do his laundry. Doesn't get more definitive than that.

Some things to consider:

Pro FB Hall of Fame

I don't recall where he played in college, but I don't think it was the Pac 10. Word is he wanted to be a Husky but didn't have the grades and was afraid of the competition.

I think I can fit that onto a pilsner glass
  • dtddtd Member Posts: 3,996
    Standard Supporter

dtd said:

Some things to consider:

Pro FB Hall of Fame

word
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,386
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Goduckies said:

Fuckin A, man.

dtd said:

Some things to consider:

Pro FB Hall of Fame

I must have missed where Moon played against Stan in college.

Goduckies said:

Fuckin A, man.

dtd said:

Some things to consider:

Pro FB Hall of Fame

I must have missed where Moon played against Stan in college.
    You might have.

In any event, if you can’t trust Moon’s assessment, you can’t be a Real Dawg.