Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Which NBA era do you prefer?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,250
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    1970's NBA
    I listened to Bob Blackburn on a little transistor radio beside my pillow to fall asleep. I became a huge Knicks fan (who?) with Willis Reed, Clyde Frazier, Pearl, Bradley and DeBusschere, with Phil Jackson off the bench
  • Options
    TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,563
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    1970's NBA
    80's was better basketball but the 70's was more interesting because the flow of the game changed to above the basket for the first time because of the new more wide open and athletic style of the then new ABA.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,328
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    1970's NBA
    Fishpo31 said:

I listened to Bob Blackburn on a little transistor radio beside my pillow to fall asleep. I became a huge Knicks fan (who?) with Willis Reed, Clyde Frazier, Pearl, Bradley and DeBusschere, with Phil Jackson off the bench

I watched a little NBA when it was Russell v Wilt

But 1967 I became a fan because of the Sonics. Also listened to Bob Blackburn. He taught Seattle the pro game

The 76 Warriors were the original great Bay Area champion. Walton in 77

I remember those Knick teams too. And the 72 Lakers finally getting a ring

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,906
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    1980's NBA
    80s and it's not close.

• Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,075
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    1980's NBA
    80's

Mostly for the diverse stars and before Jordan seemed to overshadow everyone. Though the lions share of games I watched was in the 90's.

Boston
    LA
    Houston
    Philadelphia
    Detroit
    Blazers

All contenders and some solid other teams as well.

We? really were blessed in Seattle. I believe the sonics were at least 500 or above and in playoff contention from like 88 to 03.
  • Options
    TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,563
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited March 2023
    1970's NBA
    Fishpo31 said:

That was an amazing season, and the knicks were freaking deadly from the outside… every one of those guys were nails at the baseline and it was cool to watch all 5 guys line up in an array outside and pass it around before throwing it up from downtown. Changed the game because it opened the lane in a new way and was the most interesting finals from that standpoint that I had ever seen. Origins of the rotating triangle offense.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,983
    Founders Club
    1980's NBA

whlinder said:

It is a super important point that the analytics optimized version of the game (today) to achieve the desired outcome (winning) is absolutely not the aesthetically optimized version of the game to achieve entertainment.

I like the late 80s and early 90s best, probably because of when I grew up. The Dream Team was peak NBA. Round ball Rock.

Someday the Bullets will win 50 games again.

Damn your Bullets

Game 7 at the Kingdome. Still hurts
    I was extremely young but I remember Bobby Dandridge running off our court at the buzzer with a big smile and the pain my dad was in
  • Options
    Founders Club
    1980's NBA

80's

Mostly for the diverse stars and before Jordan seemed to overshadow everyone. Though the lions share of games I watched was in the 90's.

Boston
    LA
    Houston
    Philadelphia
    Detroit
    Blazers

We? really were blessed in Seattle. I believe the sonics were at least 500 or above and in playoff contention from like 88 to 03.

I was running our booth at the Seattle Home Show when I heard that Payton got traded.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,491
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    1980's NBA

80's

Boston
    LA
    Houston
    Philadelphia
    Detroit
    Blazers

I was running our booth at the Seattle Home Show when I heard that Payton got traded.
    While that trade kinda sucked, it was the right move to make.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    1980's NBA

80's

Boston
    LA
    Houston
    Philadelphia
    Detroit
    Blazers

The plethora of 80s NBA stars was something to behold.

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,832
    edited March 2023
    1980's NBA

Fishpo31 said:

I watched a little NBA when it was Russell v Wilt

But 1967 I became a fan because of the Sonics. Also listened to Bob Blackburn. He taught Seattle the pro game

The 76 Warriors were the original great Bay Area champion. Walton in 77

I remember those Knick teams too. And the 72 Lakers finally getting a ring

Young Throbber played hundreds of games of nerf hoop in his bedroom with Bob Blackburn providing play by play on the transistor.

For some reason I liked to pretend to be Dean Tolson.

• Options
    1980's NBA

80's

Boston
    LA
    Houston
    Philadelphia
    Detroit
    Blazers

The company the Throbber was working for had Sonics tickets 4 rows back from the visiting teams bench circa 87-90

Funny, more times than not forgot to give those tickets to customers.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    1980's NBA

80's

Boston
    LA
    Houston
    Philadelphia
    Detroit
    Blazers

The company the Throbber was working for had Sonics tickets 4 rows back from the visiting teams bench circa 87-90

I've been to 2 NBA games in my life in person. The first one was the San Diego Clippers vs the LA Lakers at the San Diego Sports Arena. That's 80s as fuck.
  • Options
    1980's NBA

80's

Boston
    LA
    Houston
    Philadelphia
    Detroit
    Blazers

I've been to 2 NBA games in my life in person. The first one was the San Diego Clippers vs the LA Lakers at the San Diego Sports Arena. That's 80s as fuck.
    Christ - I've been to 2 this year and I don't even live anywhere near an NBA team.

Probably could have hit 5 or 6 more during my travels this year but opted for hookers and blow instead.

whynotboth.gif
  • Options
    dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,265
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    1990's NBA
    90's NBA. Sonics, Bulls, Houston with Olijuawann, Utah Stockholm and Malone, Suns with Barkley and that dude that could shoot threes, Atlanta with Augment and Dominick Wilkerson, Pacers with Reggie, Magic with Baby Shaq, Kevin Garnet in Minnesota, Knicks with Ewing and Starks, Spurs with Robinson, the list goes on... I went to bed every night listening to Callabhoe, watched all the games I could. I haven't watched an NBA game in years

• Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,250
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    1970's NBA
    Reading this thread spurred the memory of seeing a lot of Lakers games in the early 70’s, Friday nights on KSTW, IIRC (@Race may confirm/deny). Wilt, Elgin Baylor, The Logo, Happy Hairston, Gail Goodrich. Jerry West was a beast…
  • Options
    Founders Club
    1980's NBA
    Fishpo31 said:

Reading this thread spurred the memory of seeing a lot of Lakers games in the early 70’s, Friday nights on KSTW, IIRC (@Race may confirm/deny). Wilt, Elgin Baylor, The Logo, Happy Hairston, Gail Goodrich. Jerry West was a beast…

My earliest Laker memory was seeing Magic and the Lakers at Hec Ed in 1981 playoffs