Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Big 12 in contact with Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Utah as Pac-12 media rights future remains

SECDAWGSECDAWG Member Posts: 5,004
5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
The Big 12 recently renewed contact with four Pac-12 schools -- Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado and Utah -- as television contract negotiations for the Pac-12 continue to flounder, sources confirm to CBS Sports' Dennis Dodd. March will be a pivotal time for the Pac-12 to either deliver a new contract or risk losing key members of its league.

After previously speaking as realignment kicked into gear but going radio silent for an extended period of time, sources say all four schools have more recently had contact with the Big 12, sources tell Dodd. The interest of the "Four Corners" schools leaving for the Big 12 has picked up in recent weeks as Pac-12 media rights negotiations have stalled, moving into a ninth month.

Interest in the Pac-12's media rights are underwhelming, and the league remains the only Power Five conference without a long-term television contract. Most major networks have pulled out, leaving ESPN as the only major linear provider still involved in bidding. Amazon and Apple TV+ have long been considered potential streaming partners, but their level of interest and willingness to spend for a large pack of games is unclear.

The Big Ten (CBS, Fox, NBC) and SEC (ABC/ESPN) agreed to massive contracts securing their rights into the 2030s. The ACC is locked into an exclusive contract with ESPN through 2036. While the Pac-12 entered the market first, the Big 12 got its rightsholders (ESPN, Fox) to negotiate a new deal early, allowing the Big 12 to jump the Pac-12 and come to an agreement that solidifies their media rights through 2031.

Suddenly, the Pac-12 is faced with networks and potential streaming partners that have already outlaid significant capital acquiring sports rights and may not have the appetite for a reduced league without USC and UCLA.

MORE:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/big-12-in-contact-with-arizona-arizona-state-colorado-utah-as-pac-12-media-rights-future-remains-uncertain/

Comments

• CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,708
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
  • AOGAOG Member Posts: 1,450
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited March 2023
    Secession. I think the PAC as we know it will dissolve before the year is out given the momentum of media deals. The question is what becomes of the remaining teams. It is a shame the cfb is really being run by the media (edit, not D2!). It really is that simple.
  • SECDAWGSECDAWG Member Posts: 5,004
    edited March 2023
    AOG said:

Secession. I think the PAC as we know it will dissolve before the year is out given the momentum of media deals. The question is what becomes of the remaining teams. It is a shame the cfb is really being run by the media (edit, not D2!). It really is that simple.

Don’t know the PAC can survive without national exposure. Exposure and TV media deals are yuge this day in time..USC and UCLA going to the B1G is a huge blow for y’all’s conference in that USC is a national brand, the rest not so much, especially when everyone from the south and east is drunk AF from games all day in their perspective locations in the East, South and Midwest by 7pm PST(10 pm EST, 9 pm CST)…when PAC team MAY be televised…

SEC has gotten a lot of attn from ESPN(a huge media outlet) broadcasting games across the spectrum, from football to whatever. And is a reason the SEC is so popular, successful and hated. But point is, without it or some exposure to the PAC of significance, y’all kinda in yalls on little world…so to speak.

Someone over there, and their should be some brains with as much tech shit on the west coast, better take the Bull by the horns and make it great again. I just don’t think there’s that many folks with those means GAF about football or other on the west coast. And getting left behind.

Best thing if something don’t change is do what USC and UCLA did, jump ship at first opportunity. To the rest of the country and I’m speaking of at least from the south, west coast sports other than HS ball, don’t exist. And that’s being done form the top. They don’t seem to GAF.

Huskies need to jump that shark or someone from the west coast better turn that ship around.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,718
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    SECDAWG said:

AOG said:

Don’t know the PAC can survive without national exposure. Exposure and TV media deals are yuge this day in time..USC and UCLA going to the B1G is a huge blow for y’all’s conference in that USC is a national brand, the rest not so much, especially when everyone from the south and east is drunk AF from games all day in their perspective locations in the East, South and Midwest by 7pm PST(10 pm EST, 9 pm CST)…when PAC team MAY be televised…

SEC has gotten a lot of attn from ESPN(a huge media outlet) broadcasting games across the spectrum, from football to whatever. And is a reason the SEC is so popular, successful and hated. But point is, without it or some exposure to the PAC of significance, y’all kinda in yalls on little world…so to speak.

Someone over there, and their should be some brains with as much tech shit on the west coast, better take the Bull by the horns and make it great again. I just don’t think there’s that many folks with those means GAF about football or other on the west coast. And getting left behind.

Best thing if something don’t change is do what USC and UCLA did, jump ship at first opportunity. To the rest of the country and I’m speaking of at least from the south, west coast sports other than HS ball, don’t exist. And that’s being done form the top. They don’t seem to GAF.

Huskies need to jump that shark or someone from the west coast better turn that ship around.
    It is critical that UW make the playoffs this year and win a game there
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,958

SECDAWG said:

AOG said:

Tcu did this year and nobody cares. They’re stuck in a low end conference. I know it’s not apples to apples but if they win a game I don’t see the big 10 saying they have to act now. I think uw is stuck until the new deal is up with the big 10. I hope I am wrong.
  • rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,009
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

SECDAWG said:

AOG said:

Tcu did this year and nobody cares. They’re stuck in a low end conference. I know it’s not apples to apples but if they win a game I don’t see the big 10 saying they have to act now. I think uw is stuck until the new deal is up with the big 10. I hope I am wrong.
    thinking the same. however, if four corner schools bolt then all bets are off.

• AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,958

SECDAWG said:

AOG said:

If the big did anything at that point it is still out of the goodness of their heart. They could let uo and uw bleed for years before saving them at a discounted rate if they wanted to.
  • rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,009
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

SECDAWG said:

AOG said:

If the big did anything at that point it is still out of the goodness of their heart. They could let uo and uw bleed for years before saving them at a discounted rate if they wanted to.
    ehhh, i think at the point the 4 cornaz leave, youd see a streaming partner step in for the big 10, probably amazon since they already do tnf, uw/uo would go to the big 10, get reduced revenue until '29.
  • AOGAOG Member Posts: 1,450
    SECDAWG said:

AOG said:

I used to care, but don't any longer. That's why I'm the only D2 fan here.
    AOG said:

SECDAWG said:

AOG said:

I used to care, but don't any longer. That's why I'm the only D2 fan here.
    You don’t seem to be alone whatsoever over there
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,659
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Jen can’t fire a loser basketball coach.

She sure as fuck can’t finagle a jump to the Big10.

Christ, UW might end up in the Frontier Conference playing Montana Tech with her leadership.

edited March 2023

Jen can’t fire a loser basketball coach.

She sure as fuck can’t finagle a jump to the Big10.

Christ, UW might end up in the Frontier Conference playing Montana Tech with her leadership.

Didn’t I see somewhere she is now on the CFP committee? She meet qualifications to judge football at that level? Everything here mostly I’ve seen, she don’t. And DGAF about elite level football.