Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Stop acting like USC and UCLA represent the PAC, this ship is sinking for other reasons

The downfall anre idiots who wanted the PAC 12 network instead of selling out to ESPN. In this age ESPN rules college sports like it or not. Take the next best deal and move forward. UW and UO can lead this conference forward and fuck UCLA. Take the automatic bid every year.

Comments

• Options
    LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,756
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Technically UW and UO have been leading this conference for the past 10+ years, at least on the field. Too bad the leadership sucks ass to remind everyone of this.
  • Options
    coronabruincoronabruin Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,478
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    California leads the way pal. Sorry if this offends.
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited February 2023

California leads the way pal. Sorry if this offends.

Seriously Cal is ranked too high… but read the history those schools founded this conference in 1915
  • Options
    USC and UCLA playing Penn State, Michigan Michigan State, Iowa or Ohio State during November /December in the snow will be special. , How many times will USC best Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State and Iowa to make it to the CFP? UCLA… never
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,866
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    I’m not quite sure what this means until I hear from @TheChart
  • Options
    Idaho and Montana > UCLA
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,520
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    I have a hard time imagining that USC and UCLA fans want to fly to the upper Midwest in late Fall. That sucks for them. It also sucks for all of their other sports and the team members.

Geographically, it would make more sense for USC and UCLA to join the Big 12 and for UW and Oregon to join the Big 10.
  • Options
    AOGAOG Member Posts: 1,470
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited February 2023
    Bring back the Northwest Conference

Montana Agricultural College (Montana State) Oct. 1902
    Oregon Agricultural College (Oregon State) Oct. 1902 Founding member of reorganized body in 1908
    University of Idaho Oct. 1902 Founding member of reorganized body in 1908
    University of Montana Oct. 1902
    University of Oregon Dec. 1902 Left c. 1905; helped found reorganized body in 1908
    University of Washington Oct. 1902 Founding member of reorganized body in 1908
    Washington Agricultural College (Washington State) Oct. 1902 Founding member of reorganized body in 1908
    + Central Washington Whitman College Oct. 1902 Founding member of reorganized body in 1908
    + Eastern Washington Willamette University

We've seen Eastern/Montana be competitive at this level... CWU has some work to do
  • Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,503
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HFNY said:

I have a hard time imagining that USC and UCLA fans want to fly to the upper Midwest in late Fall. That sucks for them. It also sucks for all of their other sports and the team members.

Geographically, it would make more sense for USC and UCLA to join the Big 12 and for UW and Oregon to join the Big 10.

I hold out hope the Big 10 takes on Oregon, UW, and the Bay Area schools and just makes it like a third division. Maybe don't take Cal and put Nebraska in it. I know the Bay Area schools are a burden but sell the academis boost, the hypothetical TV market, and how you'll get a lot of Bay Area Big 10 alums to come out when they play there.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,520
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter

HFNY said:

I hold out hope the Big 10 takes on Oregon, UW, and the Bay Area schools and just makes it like a third division. Maybe don't take Cal and put Nebraska in it. I know the Bay Area schools are a burden but sell the academis boost, the hypothetical TV market, and how you'll get a lot of Bay Area Big 10 alums to come out when they play there.
    I'd be happy with that, ideally we are in the same conference as USC and UCLA.

This may be a questionFS but is there any chance USC and UCLA could change their minds and remain with the rest of the Pac without financial penalty?
  • Options
    Sandra6Sandra6 Member Posts: 147

HFNY said:

Aside from the fact that nobody in the Bay Area cares about the Bay Area schools, the Bay Area schools are responsible for ruining the PAC by rejecting Texas in 1990 and the ruining the talks with Texas and OU in 2010-11.
  • Options
    SECDAWGSECDAWG Member Posts: 5,004
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Sandra6 said:

HFNY said:

Aside from the fact that nobody in the Bay Area cares about the Bay Area schools, the Bay Area schools are responsible for ruining the PAC by rejecting Texas in 1990 and the ruining the talks with Texas and OU in 2010-11.

?
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,993
    Founders Club
    SECDAWG said:

Sandra6 said:

HFNY said:

?

• Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,481
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2023
    The UCLA/SC leadership will give themselves raises and keep all their Olympic sports afloat with the B1G money.

None of it will enhance their football programs.

SC can already pick their roster and has 3 Pac 12 title appearances and 1 win. In 12 fucking seasons.

Neither LA school fan understands how fucked they are long term with this move. No one in LA is showing up to watch middling SC/UCLA play rust belt schools.
  • Options
    Sandra6Sandra6 Member Posts: 147
    edited February 2023
    haie said:

The UCLA/SC leadership will give themselves raises and keep all their Olympic sports afloat with the B1G money.

None of it will enhance their football programs.

SC can already pick their roster and has 3 Pac 12 title appearances and 1 win. In 12 fucking seasons.

Neither LA school fan understands how fucked they are long term with this move. No one in LA is showing up to watch middling SC/UCLA play rust belt schools.

To a large extent, this TV money from football is really about keeping a bunch of sports teams that nobody cares about alive. Ironically people complain about USC and UCLA’s water polo teams having to travel across the country, ignoring that USC and UCLA might have to drop sports like water polo if they still made PAC tv money.

But these big TV contracts do also help the football team. Just five years ago, I would have thought that the difference between making $75 million a year in TV money and $35-40 million a year in TV money (or whatever the PAC would be making if USC and UCLA weren’t leaving) would be completely irrelevant to a football program. I would have thought, how could a school possibly spend those $75 million. But every time I think that teams have maxed out the amount of money they could possibly spend on football, schools somehow find some new way to spend money on football. For example, they’ll suddenly start paying coordinators $2 million, then they’ll start paying head coaches $10 million, and all the while they’ll create some fancy football facilities that attract football recruits, but probably don’t really do anything to make players stronger.