Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

All the Tennis

whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,240
5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
Standard Supporter
Fuck off

this bored used to have a tennis ball in its logo

Anyway, I have grown to like watching pro tennis more than a lot of other shit. Attractive ladies with accents, tournaments in awesome global cities, and some amazing athletes. I've been to the US Open, Miami Open, the Charleston Open and whatever the tournament in DC is called. They're fun. The players which aren't famous are fucking grinding for a living.

Jessica Pegula and Coco Gauff were strong in their matches today (though Coco took forever to win her match) while Danielle Collins is sucking some cock right now. Australian Open duh.

I like Novak and Rafa until I don't for the men and I fully expect Novak to win the AO due to their bullshit Covid policies keeping him out last year. IGA for the women too but no one can predict the women. Maybe Gauff can break through.

NOC

Comments

• FireTheJanitorFireTheJanitor Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,483
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment First Anniversary
    Founders Club
    Checked out the first episode of “Break Point” which is a behind the scenes doc on Netflix last night. Decent enough to check out (but I’m admittedly a sucker for any overproduced show about sports using this model). Produced by the Drive to Survive/F1 crew. They also have a PGA Tour/Golf one coming out in February which will be interesting given everything that happened the past 12 months in that sport.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,714
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Checked out the first episode of “Break Point” which is a behind the scenes doc on Netflix last night. Decent enough to check out (but I’m admittedly a sucker for any overproduced show about sports using this model). Produced by the Drive to Survive/F1 crew. They also have a PGA Tour/Golf one coming out in February which will be interesting given everything that happened the past 12 months in that sport.

I couldn't get past the intro. It seemed like they were trying way too hard to make tennis cool, like it was the fucking NBA or something. Maybe I'll give it a second chance now. I only go to Nutflix every 5-50 days so it might be a while. I know the second I cancel it, there will be something on there I really want to see.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,714
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    What the hell happened to all the Americans? We used to dominate tennis, damnit.
  • whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,240
    Standard Supporter

I watched the one on Taylor Fritz and Maria Sakkari which was done for the Indian Wells tournament last year. It was really well done though it helped that both reached the final, and Fritz beat Nadal in the final. I will probably watch more.

What the hell happened to all the Americans? We used to dominate tennis, damnit.

For the men it’s largely that the 3 greatest players ever took over. I think Taylor Fritz and Francis Tiafoe will be competing for majors for a while as Novak and Rafa ride off to retirement, but both of them need to take another step or two forward.

Serena and Venus being gone has opened the door but no one has stepped up for the US. Gauff has the most physical talent so we will see how she develops. Not sure WTF happened to Sofia Kenin and Sloane Stevens. They’re hot garbage now and not that old.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,386
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    I went to a Federer exhibition match at Key Arena several years back. Pretty entertaining. I used to watch the majors on tv but the game has devolved a bit into just hammering away from the baseline and not much at the net. Not as exciting as it used to be. Maybe things have changed in that regard in the past 5 years since I quit watching.
    Standard Supporter
    It’s only been 3 years since Federer’s last major final, when he lost to Novak in the 5 hour match at Wimbledon. Fed has match point on his serve in the 5th set and served and volleyed but lost the point. Without him around it is mainly baseliners now. Gauff has a good net game since she loves doubles too but she hasn’t broken through.
  • FireTheJanitorFireTheJanitor Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,483
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment First Anniversary
    Founders Club

I couldn't get past the intro. It seemed like they were trying way too hard to make tennis cool, like it was the fucking NBA or something. Maybe I'll give it a second chance now. I only go to Nutflix every 5-50 days so it might be a while. I know the second I cancel it, there will be something on there I really want to see.
    It’s probably over done. Like I said, I’m a sucker.
    Standard Supporter
    Nadal hurt and done, the Tug’s own Djokovic pushed through his injury and won.

Highest seeded American Fritz lost in 5 sets but a bunch of other American men scored some serious upsets. Brooksby over Ruud is big time.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,693
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The recent superstars Federer et al certainly are among the all time greats. I just had long moved past tennis. Like the Indy 500 and other once upon a time big events, tennis no longer was must see for me

McEnroe and Conners versus Borg and Becker is the old school comp of great competition. That was my wheelhouse

Sampras is somewhat forgotten

But his battle with The Mullet were good too
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Standard Supporter
    Shoutout to Elena Rybakina taking out Swiatek

Standard Supporter
    edited January 2023
    For you late night west coasters at 12:30 am west coast time we have quite a final:

Elena

Vs

Aryna

This is a @YellowSnow special.

I like ELENA to take her second slam in the past 3.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,794
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    whlinder said:

For you late night west coasters at 12:30 am west coast time we have quite a final:

Elena

Vs

Aryna

This is a @YellowSnow special.

I like ELENA to take her second slam in the past 3.

Wood smash.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,708
    Founders Club

The recent superstars Federer et al certainly are among the all time greats. I just had long moved past tennis. Like the Indy 500 and other once upon a time big events, tennis no longer was must see for me

McEnroe and Conners versus Borg and Becker is the old school comp of great competition. That was my wheelhouse

Sampras is somewhat forgotten

But his battle with The Mullet were good too

Pup?
    Standard Supporter
    Novak cruises to #22. I hope Rafa is healed in time for the French Open so those 2 can go after 23 with both in the field.

Aryna and Elena played a hell of a final. Just blasting shots. Aryna held tougher to get her first slam. I’m looking forward to more big matches between them.

I like to refer to tennis players by their first name. It’s what I like to do.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,653
    edited January 2023
    whlinder said:

Novak cruises to #22. I hope Rafa is healed in time for the French Open so those 2 can go after 23 with both in the field.

Aryna and Elena played a hell of a final. Just blasting shots. Aryna held tougher to get her first slam. I’m looking forward to more big matches between them.

Fuck yeah, NOVAK!

Pureblood Joker says it TO BILL GATES' FACE!

Take this to the Tug, I know. Or not.

Standard Supporter
    I am FOR the Tug adopting Djoker to get more attention on the tennis thread
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,653
    edited January 2023
    whlinder said:

I am FOR the Tug adopting Djoker to get more attention on the tennis thread

Standard Supporter
    Hell of a tennis Tuesday at Indian Wells with all matches in the Round of 16 for both women and men going down today.

Medvedev-Zverev earlier was a good match. Tiafoe is already down.
    Swiatek-Raducanu in the night cap is nice.
    Standard Supporter
    whlinder said:

Had to wait an entire 6 weeks or so for one. Indian Wells final today. For non-tennis people this tournament is the Players Championship equivalent in tennis.

The men’s final of Medvedev vs Alcaraz is really good too. Great sports day for hopefully the last cold day of the season.