Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Why recruiting matters

46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
No one is winning a Championship averaging less than a top-15 class for 5 consecutive years. Eight of the last ten Champions have averaged a top-7 or better. The portal isn't going to change that history. The teams at the top are going to reach into it and fill their needs and keep rolling along with top overall classes stacked one after the other. UGA, Bama, tOSU, LSU and most likely Clempson. FSU is going to become a player again. TAM will be TAM. Mario will stack classes and lose to a scrub along the way. SC will have the classes but LR never wins when it counts the most.

Comments

• haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,350
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    It's been covered plenty how/why Clemson won one. I guess we need to cover this topic another 81 times and argue why Keg Boy's quitters are going to run the conference though.
  • 46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
    All of you “recruiting” doesn’t matter dumbasses needed a refresher. I love the dipshits on your team who believe the portal will make up for shit HS recruiting. History says you’re all FS.

LOL.................
    Swaye's Wigwam
    46XiJCAB said:

All of you “recruiting” doesn’t matter dumbasses needed a refresher. I love the dipshits on your team who believe the portal will make up for shit HS recruiting. History says you’re all FS.

LOL.................

I don't even know who you're arguing with. JFC. Senile.
    haie said:

46XiJCAB said:

LOL.................

I don't even know who you're arguing with. JFC. Senile.
    More Haie gaslighting.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,715
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    46XiJCAB said:

LOL.................

You sound scared

Time to breath heavily while looking at tape of the 17 and 18 year old sculpted boys again isn't it?
  • trubluetrublue Member Posts: 3,042
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Do better, Bill. You can do it.
  • coronabruincoronabruin Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,478
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2023
    Lots of teams have great recruits and are losers that suck fat donkey balls. You guys have plenty of experience with that so I’m sure you will agree.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2023
    SFGbob said:

I'd rather have someone who is a good coach. A good coach will attract good players. You think Miami and Texas and Florida are down because they don't have good players? Coaching, especially at the college level is everything.

Completely agree, and because fans don't want to wait around for 2-5 year chunks before they finally get one to doog out, they get overly excited over hyped kids because that is an every year thing.

There are some players worth getting excited over. Kayvon, Stewart, Smalls, Budda Baker, etc. Quarterback is just too much of a crapshoot. Wake me up when they aren't throwing 5 picks to cuog.

Lots of teams have great recruits and are losers that suck fat donkey balls. You guys have plenty of experience with that so I’m sure you will agree.

Which is better. 10 five stars with 5 that don't fulfill expectations or the same ratio with 3 stars?

Oregon's top-10 five stars.

KT-NFL
    Flowe/no, we will see what he does at Zona.
    Ngata-NFL
    Stewart-NFL
    Sewell-NFL
    Colvin/no, nice career
    D. Thomas-NFL
    Conerly Jr.
    Armstead-NFL
    Kaumatule/no, medical retire.
    SFGbob said:

I'd rather have someone who is a good coach. A good coach will attract good players. You think Miami and Texas and Florida are down because they don't have good players? Coaching, especially at the college level is everything.

I agree coaching matters. Saban is a good coach but if he stays at MSU he probably never wins a NC. His 1999 team was his best ever at 10-2 and it got him to LSU. Maybe the 2000 team would have been the year he wins the B1G title? That team went 5-6 under B. Williams.

He goes to LSU, then Bama and becomes maybe the greatest college HC ever. One thing changed, he went from good players to much better with elite level players mixed in.

I'd take one year of Ed Orgeron if it meant having that trophy in the case to crow about.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    46XiJCAB said:

SFGbob said:

I agree coaching matters. Saban is a good coach but if he stays at MSU he probably never wins a NC. His 1999 team was his best ever at 10-2 and it got him to LSU. Maybe the 2000 team would have been the year he wins the B1G title? That team went 5-6 under B. Williams.

He goes to LSU, then Bama and becomes maybe the greatest college HC ever. One thing changed, he went from good players to much better with elite level players mixed in.

I'd take one year of Ed Orgeron if it meant having that trophy in the case to crow about.
    Eddy O ain't living in Eugene for 1 day, bra.
    haie said:

46XiJCAB said:

SFGbob said:

Eddy O ain't living in Eugene for 1 day, bra.
    Clearly you've never to BR. Last I checked their were coeds in Eugene. He can't coach a lick but he recruited well enough to pull a NC. That was the point.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,697
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited January 2023
    haie said:

SFGbob said:

Completely agree, and because fans don't want to wait around for 2-5 year chunks before they finally get one to doog out, they get overly excited over hyped kids because that is an every year thing.

There are some players worth getting excited over. Kayvon, Stewart, Smalls, Budda Baker, etc. Quarterback is just too much of a crapshoot. Wake me up when they aren't throwing 5 picks to cuog.
    Agree with both points. QBs are almost like coaches. One should pursue the volume method with both, quickly changing out a loser for another spin of the wheel.

One subtle gloss: sure, Miami, Texas and Florida have more good players than your average 5-7 team, or whatever. But using Miami as the example, their NFL production is a shadow of what it once was. I guess it's all what you're used to. They've graduated some current NFL studs recently, but it's nothing like it has been and it's been commented in NFL circles, "what's up with Miami?". They're a good example of not all stars are created equally. The 5 stars that have escaped Miami to go to Bama have been fucking superstars. But Miami, OTOH, has had some really shitty luck with 5 stars the last several years, and some of them don't even pass the eye test, like Mark Pope, whose only realistic opportunity to contribute was as a possession receiver, which was not his billing at all, and he sucked at that too. Honestly, I watched him from the beginning and was like, "I don't get it." Like, literally a useless player. There are a bunch of 4 stars in that category as well. I'm sure some of it is development, but come on. Does anyone really develop an elite corner or an edge guy? Or a running back? To a degree, sure, but not really that much. Bottom line is that shitty teams have shitty coaches who not only fail to develop, but their talent eval. is usually shitty as well. There are exceptions, like Zook. But mostly part of being a good coach is not getting sold a bucket of goods on an elite recruit who really isn't that elite.

I'll say it again: people in sports are FUCKING TERRIBLE at their jobs as a general matter. They exist and operate with a batting average barometer of success, while the rest of us have to be very good to be perceived as, you know, good. How many lawyers or docs do you know who have to do a good job only 3 out of 10 times? How many floors can @RaceBannon s shop fuck up and still be a go-to service? How many builders can get by building 3 good houses and 7 future money pitts? How many shitty and bugggy software applications can @haie afford to write because he wrote something good 4 years ago? Nobody gets to operate that way.

• thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 5,483
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    After year 1 as P5 head coaches,

We’re pretty sure Deboer is a good coach

We’re pretty sure Lanning is a great recruiter

We’re unsure if Deboer is a good evaluator of talent

We’re unsure if Deboer is a good recruiter

We’re unsure if Lanning is a good coach

We’re unsure if Lanning is a good evaluator of talent

Pretty much where we’re at. Not much more to glean until Penix and Nix leave and we see some more turnover from assistant staffers.

I like our guy until I don’t. Same with you guys.

LIPO
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,699
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    thechatch said:

After year 1 as P5 head coaches,

We’re pretty sure Deboer is a good coach

We’re pretty sure Lanning is a great recruiter

We’re unsure if Deboer is a good evaluator of talent

We’re unsure if Deboer is a good recruiter

We’re unsure if Lanning is a good coach

We’re unsure if Lanning is a good evaluator of talent

Pretty much where we’re at. Not much more to glean until Penix and Nix leave and we see some more turnover from assistant staffers.

I like our guy until I don’t. Same with you guys.

LIPO

Agree but Lannbo sucks

You should be glad I think that because I always do and am usually wrong
  • thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 5,483
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Eh he could have been 12-2

Could have been 8-5

The median there is 10-3.5 which is where he landed. If he averages 10 wins he’s a good not great coach.

Jury still out imo
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,715
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Lansing might be a good coach. Remember Belicheat sucked in Cleveland...and..well without Brady Bunch.

He's not right now and he's learning on the job. So it'll be at least two more years until he might become decent.
  • SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,919
    Standard Supporter
    46XiJCAB said:

SFGbob said:

One year with a National Title and then sucking for the next 10 isn't worth it to me.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,699
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I think Ed O got a bit of a raw deal. He took over a team in distress and in two years had one of the best teams in history. The last pre covid champion

Covid year sucked for a lot of teams then a 6-6 and he's fired

Kelly lost 4 games this year but he beat Bama and nothing else matters as it allowed him to get run by Georgia. I would bet money Kelly never wins a natty at LSU.

If you could get Ed O as your top recruiter like Carroll did at USC then you get the best of both worlds