Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

The Official HH Book Club List

Comments

• pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,676
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Hey fucknuts @pawz , take the malarkey elsewheres.

I didn't start this one! I'm innocent I tell you. Innocent!

@GrundleStiltzkin

• UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,093
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Recently finished Peter Zeihan's The End of the World is Just the Beginning

Definitely recommend. I think he presses at times with some of his predictions, but even if he's only half right, the next 10- 20 are going to be interesting either way.

@UW_Doog_Bot would like for the Long China is bull shit hot takes.

Zeihan reads my shit.
  • TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,550
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited January 2023
    @GrundleStiltzkin this is a book for you buddy… Samurai is a world war 2 book from the perspective of the Japanese pilots [written by Japan’s greatest world war 2 ace] that flew the zero’s, which at that time was the worlds greatest war machine in the air. The other book for you is Iron Coffins which was written by German’s greatest Uboat commander and the only surviving uBoat at the end of the war. Two A+ books, you can thank me later.

Please give me one back that you know that I’ve never read after you read these. Thanks.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,707
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    I’ve read 2 of Junger’s books in the last 6 months, War and Tribe.

War follows a platoon in Afghanistan that Junger was embedded with and Tribe follows inspired conversations he had with members of the platoon after they came home.

Tribe only lightly touches on those conversations and it’s a rather short book at 135 pages.

If I could remember how to update the HH Book List, I’d add it.

• GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    Standard Supporter

@GrundleStiltzkin this is a book for you buddy… Samurai is a world war 2 book from the perspective of the Japanese pilots [written by Japan’s greatest world war 2 ace] that flew the zero’s, which at that time was the worlds greatest war machine in the air. The other book for you is Iron Coffins which was written by German’s greatest Uboat commander and the only surviving uBoat at the end of the war. Two A+ books, you can thank me later.

Please give me one back that you know that I’ve never read after you read these. Thanks.

@TheRoarOfTheCrowd got an author's name for "Samurai"? There's a million books with that in title. Irregardless, mahalo.
    Founders Club
    edited January 2023
    Sorry, Ieft the exclamation point off of the end… details matter. Here is the book…

Also available in another edition which i think is cheaper, this is just what i have…

Here is the paperback..

• GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    Standard Supporter

Sorry, Ieft the exclamation point off of the end… details matter. Here is the book…

Also available in another edition which i think is cheaper, this is just what i have…

Here is the paperback..

Thanks, I shall procure.

As for suggestions for you...

If you're looking for military, I recently finished Generation Kill for the third time, outstanding. Earlier in the fall, I read listened to GJ Meyer's Great War books, World Undone and The World Remade, there might be a third. Those are a little less battles and more big picture. I underappreciated WW1's impact on US politics, and what a fuckass Wilson was. The Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club about Naval flyers (hai @swaye!!) in Vietnam but also about the fuckery. Masters of Air, about the 9th(?) Air Force Group in Europe, pretty damned harrowing at tims.

Overall best books I've read recently are Peter Zeihan's.

Misc: T by Carole Hooven, about testosterone. The accounts of women->transmen starting T are fascinating. Tough Luck, RD Rosen, about Sid Luckman and the evolution of football. Paradise, Lizzie Johson, about the Paradise, CA fire, terrifying. Zero Fail, Carol Leoning, a rather skeptical look at the history of the Secret Service (yeah, they fucksups too). Enemies, Tim Weiner, about the FBI's history of malarkey, actually paired well with Meyer's The World Remade.
    Founders Club
    edited January 2023
    Here are 2 more while I’m at.. these are written with the first person opponents perspective which i like… books liked this are not all of what i like, but i do like this kind of perspective.

Founders Club
    edited January 2023

There is a hardback of this with the same publishing date out there as well…
    Founders Club
    edited January 2023
    @GrundleStiltzkin [see the above other 3 books] Ok, I know I’m going on and on with multiple shitposting but here is another great first person account… guys that lived to tell the story later that were key people…
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,793
    Swaye's Wigwam

Recently finished Peter Zeihan's The End of the World is Just the Beginning

Definitely recommend. I think he presses at times with some of his predictions, but even if he's only half right, the next 10- 20 are going to be interesting either way.

@UW_Doog_Bot would like for the Long China is bull shit hot takes.

Zeihan reads my shit.
    I could tell.
    Founders Club

Here is the paperback..

Thanks, I shall procure.

If you're looking for military, I recently finished Generation Kill for the third time, outstanding. Earlier in the fall, I read listened to GJ Meyer's Great War books, World Undone and The World Remade, there might be a third. Those are a little less battles and more big picture. I underappreciated WW1's impact on US politics, and what a fuckass Wilson was. The Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club about Naval flyers (hai @swaye!!) in Vietnam but also about the fuckery. Masters of Air, about the 9th(?) Air Force Group in Europe, pretty damned harrowing at tims.

Misc: T by Carole Hooven, about testosterone. The accounts of women->transmen starting T are fascinating. Tough Luck, RD Rosen, about Sid Luckman and the evolution of football. Paradise, Lizzie Johson, about the Paradise, CA fire, terrifying. Zero Fail, Carol Leoning, a rather skeptical look at the history of the Secret Service (yeah, they fucksups too). Enemies, Tim Weiner, about the FBI's history of malarkey, actually paired well with Meyer's The World Remade.
    Thank you, appreciate the ideas…
  • Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,955
    Standard Supporter
    Finally getting caught up on watching 💕My boyfriend💞 John Krasinski’s Jack Ryan on Amazon Prime, and it prompted me to start re-reading all the Tom Clancy books, beginning with Red Storm Rising.

Which has also sent me down some fun YouTube rabbit holes.

https://youtu.be/VS54M5Mqa9M
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,708
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

pawz said:
    Autographed copy on my bookshelf.
    The part you left out was that it was autographed by Ignacio Anaya
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,707
    Founders Club

pawz said:
    Autographed copy on my bookshelf.
    The part you left out was that it was autographed by Ignacio Anaya
    Way to ruin the surprise.
    Founders Club

Here is the paperback..

Thanks, I shall procure.

Great suggestion @GrundleStiltzkin, Masters of the Air is an epic tale of the newly formed origins and evolution of the 8th American Air core + the surprisingly relentless impact of the RAF [who knew] in the battle over Western Europe to achieve control of the air ~ love the book, generation kill is next.