Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

1991 Miami "better" than '91 Huskies according to ESPN ..

2»

Comments

• Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

Baseman said:

Baseman said:

Nebraska shot their wad, losing at home to the Dawgs. Writers underestimate the effects of when a team is eliminated from contention they lose their edge. The Michigan squad BYU faced in the 84/85 Holiday Bowl was a shell of the team Washington faced the previous September in Ann Arbor.

While I'm not a banner hanger for the 84 Dawgs --they choked the SC game-- the only team that beats the 91 Dawgs in 91 or a Bowl game was the 91 Dawgs. Period. Citing Mario Bailey as the offensive difference maker displays the ignorance, That 91 squad was powered by power running. Bryant, Berry, and Nip (ILTCHNILTCHT)

I'm a banner hanger for the 84 DAWGS

That team won the natty and would've beat BYU by 69 points.

Hang the banner
    Champions don't choke. The Dawgs choked. They were the better team by far but winners don't choke.
    So what you're saying is every 1 loss title winner should turn in the trophy? This is dumb
    What trophy?
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,581
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    chuck said:

chuck said:

Clevdawg said:

Bad Day Post Game Orange Slices ? I’ve always liked you if it helps.

They say HH isnt for sermon seekers, but ranting about Husky football and arguing with you guys is therapy in some sense.

I'm rarely ever truly mad, and if I am 50% of the time it's from a Teqoola poast

I've noticed that and rarely pass on an argument with you because you seem able to move on even if it gets a little ugly
    I cant even remember why we were having multi thread arugments a few months back
    Nor I. I probably didn't like your profile pic or something.
    You were probably being a doog
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,629
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

chuck said:

Clevdawg said:

They say HH isnt for sermon seekers, but ranting about Husky football and arguing with you guys is therapy in some sense.

I'm rarely ever truly mad, and if I am 50% of the time it's from a Teqoola poast

I've noticed that and rarely pass on an argument with you because you seem able to move on even if it gets a little ugly
    I cant even remember why we were having multi thread arugments a few months back
    Nor I. I probably didn't like your profile pic or something.
    You were probably being a doog
    Unless you have proof in hand...
  • Options
    TXDawgTXDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 818
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Founders Club
    I completely forgot ESPN does any kind of commentary or news. Do people still watch that trash ass channel when there’s not a game on?
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,581
    Founders Club
    This is how ESPN determined these titles.

Is the team in the South? If yes, they are the winner.

If the team isn't in the South? Closest team to the South wins.

• Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

animate said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35366896/deciding-college-football-true-champions-split-titles

1991: Washington (12-0) vs. Miami (12-0)
    Poll rankings: Miami first (AP) and second (coaches), Washington first (coaches) and second (AP)
    SP+ rankings: Miami first (24.7 rating), Washington second (24.2)
    Avg. points scored: Washington 41.3, Miami 32.2
    Avg. points allowed: Miami 8.3, Washington 9.6

Best wins: Miami def. Florida State (third in SP+) 17-16, def. Penn State (fourth) 26-20, def. Nebraska (10th) 22-0; Washington def. Nebraska (10th) 36-21, def. California (13th) 24-17, def. Michigan (14th) 34-14

Verdict: Miami. Honestly? This might be the most difficult decision on this list. Both Don James' Huskies and Dennis Erickson's Hurricanes were nearly perfect, and it's a damn shame that these two couldn't meet in a bowl game.

Washington was perfectly suited to hold up against one of the best Miami teams of the era. The Huskies were explosive on the edge and beyond sturdy in the trenches. Mario Bailey (17 touchdowns, 16.7 yards per catch) was one of the scariest receivers of the 1990s, and the defense was keyed by All-American Steve Emtman up front and ball hawk Walter Bailey (seven INTs, two touchdowns) in the back. The Huskies began the season by handling Nebraska in Lincoln and ended it by pummeling Michigan in the Rose Bowl. Only an excellent Cal could stay particularly close in between.

Since I'm forcing myself to choose, however, I'm going with The U, if only because of the résumé. Miami beat both the third- and fourth-best teams in the country and finished the season by pummeling Nebraska by a slightly larger margin. This would have been an absolute coin-flip matchup on the field, but Miami's schedule gives it the slightest of nods.

Game is won in the trenches, as they say ... but Bill Connelly decides it doesn't apply here because reasons.

Discuss.

I won't be dragged into this again, except for the two comments above. I've grown up.

#startingnow!
    Except to say this:

1. I don't think the '91 Miami team was one of the best teams of that era. 87, 88, 89 and arguably 90 were more dangerous.
    2. Mario Bailey, a fun guy to like and support, isn't a guy I'd describe as one of the scariest receivers of the 1990s. Shifty kid with a knack for getting open and making plays. Good player. Great player even. Scariest at his position for the 1990s? OK!
    I think Mario would be productive player in today’s nfl game. Unfortunately for him the offenses back in those days were still developing
  • Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,061
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited January 2023
    Should have had 84 on there. And recognizing any of this shit before black dudes were allowed to play school is garbo.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    FireCohen said:

animate said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35366896/deciding-college-football-true-champions-split-titles

1991: Washington (12-0) vs. Miami (12-0)
    Poll rankings: Miami first (AP) and second (coaches), Washington first (coaches) and second (AP)
    SP+ rankings: Miami first (24.7 rating), Washington second (24.2)
    Avg. points scored: Washington 41.3, Miami 32.2
    Avg. points allowed: Miami 8.3, Washington 9.6

Best wins: Miami def. Florida State (third in SP+) 17-16, def. Penn State (fourth) 26-20, def. Nebraska (10th) 22-0; Washington def. Nebraska (10th) 36-21, def. California (13th) 24-17, def. Michigan (14th) 34-14

Verdict: Miami. Honestly? This might be the most difficult decision on this list. Both Don James' Huskies and Dennis Erickson's Hurricanes were nearly perfect, and it's a damn shame that these two couldn't meet in a bowl game.

Washington was perfectly suited to hold up against one of the best Miami teams of the era. The Huskies were explosive on the edge and beyond sturdy in the trenches. Mario Bailey (17 touchdowns, 16.7 yards per catch) was one of the scariest receivers of the 1990s, and the defense was keyed by All-American Steve Emtman up front and ball hawk Walter Bailey (seven INTs, two touchdowns) in the back. The Huskies began the season by handling Nebraska in Lincoln and ended it by pummeling Michigan in the Rose Bowl. Only an excellent Cal could stay particularly close in between.

Since I'm forcing myself to choose, however, I'm going with The U, if only because of the résumé. Miami beat both the third- and fourth-best teams in the country and finished the season by pummeling Nebraska by a slightly larger margin. This would have been an absolute coin-flip matchup on the field, but Miami's schedule gives it the slightest of nods.

Game is won in the trenches, as they say ... but Bill Connelly decides it doesn't apply here because reasons.

Discuss.

I won't be dragged into this again, except for the two comments above. I've grown up.

#startingnow!
    Except to say this:

1. I don't think the '91 Miami team was one of the best teams of that era. 87, 88, 89 and arguably 90 were more dangerous.
    2. Mario Bailey, a fun guy to like and support, isn't a guy I'd describe as one of the scariest receivers of the 1990s. Shifty kid with a knack for getting open and making plays. Good player. Great player even. Scariest at his position for the 1990s? OK!
    I think Mario would be productive player in today’s nfl game. Unfortunately for him the offenses back in those days were still developing
    What's changed that would make it different?
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,861
    Founders Club

Baseman said:

Baseman said:

Nebraska shot their wad, losing at home to the Dawgs. Writers underestimate the effects of when a team is eliminated from contention they lose their edge. The Michigan squad BYU faced in the 84/85 Holiday Bowl was a shell of the team Washington faced the previous September in Ann Arbor.

While I'm not a banner hanger for the 84 Dawgs --they choked the SC game-- the only team that beats the 91 Dawgs in 91 or a Bowl game was the 91 Dawgs. Period. Citing Mario Bailey as the offensive difference maker displays the ignorance, That 91 squad was powered by power running. Bryant, Berry, and Nip (ILTCHNILTCHT)

I'm a banner hanger for the 84 DAWGS

That team won the natty and would've beat BYU by 69 points.

Hang the banner
    Champions don't choke. The Dawgs choked. They were the better team by far but winners don't choke.
    So what you're saying is every 1 loss title winner should turn in the trophy? This is dumb
    LSU "won" it with two losses
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,095
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

chuck said:

Clevdawg said:

I'm sure someone (i.e. - Baze, Grumble) will dig it up and bump it to the top of page 1
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

So much Nebraska classy ass kissing in this thread it’s giving me some ring sting.

I know it's hard to remember now, but this was when Nebraska mattered. Both beating them at their place (W) and the absolute defensive shut-down put on them in the Orange Bowl (M) were significant accomplishments at that time.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,908
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

So much Nebraska classy ass kissing in this thread it’s giving me some ring sting.

I know it's hard to remember now, but this was when Nebraska mattered. Both beating them at their place (W) and the absolute defensive shut-down put on them in the Orange Bowl (M) were significant accomplishments at that time.
    I remember