Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Coach Prime

123457»

Comments

• EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,439
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    TTJ said:

Two things can both be true. Sanders can be a great hire for Colorado, even if he only succeeds in getting them .500ish before jumping jobs again. (Which is about all I’m expecting.) They’ve been atrocious. At least they’ll be relevant for a minute.

This. Even if he leaves, he’ll leave CU in a better spot that they’re in right now. There’s no downside to it for them.
  • DawgtillDeathDawgtillDeath Member Posts: 147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper

TTJ said:

Two things can both be true. Sanders can be a great hire for Colorado, even if he only succeeds in getting them .500ish before jumping jobs again. (Which is about all I’m expecting.) They’ve been atrocious. At least they’ll be relevant for a minute.

This. Even if he leaves, he’ll leave CU in a better spot that they’re in right now. There’s no downside to it for them.
    CU has no where to go but up. It's a no lose until a better job comes along in neons never ending search for the spotlight.
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,460
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

He’s going to be such a disaster in fbs it will be hilarious.

Oh I don't know about that
    He can’t beat decent teams that he is exponentially more talented than in FCS. Why would he be able to beat competent teams that he has less talent than at the FBS level? Hell bring some talent to Boulder, but overall they’ll still be middle of the pack. Plus, his son isn’t fbs caliber and he’ll insist on starting him
    I respect your opinion but I think you're jumping the gun on this
    The people jumping the gun are the chucklefucks who threw a $30m hail mary at a guy who has been coaching at the college level in any capacity for less than three years, and is playing in the equivalent of a D2 conference.

You can admit you love his sizzle and just leave it at that.
    He is going to recruit like a motherfucker

Talk to me about it in two years
    I would put money on him never sniffing a top 10 class to Boulder
    This is a bad bet.
    TTJ said:

This is the take, no matter how you slice it this is a great hire for Colorado.
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Doogles said:

ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

He can’t beat decent teams that he is exponentially more talented than in FCS. Why would he be able to beat competent teams that he has less talent than at the FBS level? Hell bring some talent to Boulder, but overall they’ll still be middle of the pack. Plus, his son isn’t fbs caliber and he’ll insist on starting him
    The people jumping the gun are the chucklefucks who threw a $30m hail mary at a guy who has been coaching at the college level in any capacity for less than three years, and is playing in the equivalent of a D2 conference.

This is a bad bet.
    TTJ said:

In the history of college football the "this hire sucks" bet has been the winner far more often than the homerun hire. Play the odds or die by the sizzle.
  • FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,222
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    he's got sizzle for days, which is exactly what college football is about. He was a marketing genius before social media was a thing. His speech reminds me of a similar conversation I heard about that Coach pete gave after taking over the dumpster fire here. The kids were running the show, nobody was working out in the weight room, kids would show up to meetings when they felt like it, kids were partying excessively.....(we all know you should party some). Obviously Coach pete's delivery was vastly different, but I can see a very similar situation to where there will be a quick turnaround in colorado just by putting in discipline if prime follows through.

When you consider the new transfer rules, you think prime isn't going to pull in 2nd stringers from high major programs to come over to colorado? I can see it happening pretty quickly. Boulder has tons of $$$. If he gets some backing, there is a lot they can do. QB's are going to be a dime a dozen in the new transfer portal.

I also find some of you poo pooing the hire quite funny. A guy that played that much in the NFL and at his level doesn't need to come up through the shit coaching ranks to know how to play football. He wasn't just prime b/c he was supremely athletic. He was brilliant on the field mentally and knew just as much about what the qb was doing before anyone else. The guy knows the game. I think his schtick will work in college similar to harbaugh in michigan. He has a shelf life for kids and when you only have to see it for 3-4 years it's a lot different than nfl players attitudes.

Agree he likely goes somewhere else within 5 years, but looking at the current pac12, he's already in the upper half within 2 years IMO. ASU/AZ/Wazzu/Stanford/CAL all suck. UCLA/USC likely gone. Who's he competing with based on what we know today? UW/Oregon and Utah? Hell even if he goes big12, that probably fits him better.
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,460
    Swaye's Wigwam

Doogles said:

ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

This is a bad bet.
    TTJ said:

In the history of college football the "this hire sucks" bet has been the winner far more often than the homerun hire. Play the odds or die by the sizzle.
    Even if the hire "sucks" I think he's more likely to pull a top10 class than not
  • BuffBuffPassBuffBuffPass Member Posts: 322
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Doogles said:

Doogles said:

ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

This is a bad bet.
    TTJ said:

Even if the hire "sucks" I think he's more likely to pull a top10 class than not
    Hunter just made it official he's coming to Colorado. Portal has started reasonably well (Horn and Coleman sound like they're coming) but we are going to have to hit it hard after the bowl games. OL got upgraded big time today but still need more. Need quality DTs desperately.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,428

Doogles said:

Doogles said:

ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

This is a bad bet.
    TTJ said:

Hunter just made it official he's coming to Colorado. Portal has started reasonably well (Horn and Coleman sound like they're coming) but we are going to have to hit it hard after the bowl games. OL got upgraded big time today but still need more. Need quality DTs desperately.
    A good CU is good for the Pac
  • Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,604
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes

he's got sizzle for days, which is exactly what college football is about. He was a marketing genius before social media was a thing. His speech reminds me of a similar conversation I heard about that Coach pete gave after taking over the dumpster fire here. The kids were running the show, nobody was working out in the weight room, kids would show up to meetings when they felt like it, kids were partying excessively.....(we all know you should party some). Obviously Coach pete's delivery was vastly different, but I can see a very similar situation to where there will be a quick turnaround in colorado just by putting in discipline if prime follows through.

When you consider the new transfer rules, you think prime isn't going to pull in 2nd stringers from high major programs to come over to colorado? I can see it happening pretty quickly. Boulder has tons of $$$. If he gets some backing, there is a lot they can do. QB's are going to be a dime a dozen in the new transfer portal.

I also find some of you poo pooing the hire quite funny. A guy that played that much in the NFL and at his level doesn't need to come up through the shit coaching ranks to know how to play football. He wasn't just prime b/c he was supremely athletic. He was brilliant on the field mentally and knew just as much about what the qb was doing before anyone else. The guy knows the game. I think his schtick will work in college similar to harbaugh in michigan. He has a shelf life for kids and when you only have to see it for 3-4 years it's a lot different than nfl players attitudes.

Agree he likely goes somewhere else within 5 years, but looking at the current pac12, he's already in the upper half within 2 years IMO. ASU/AZ/Wazzu/Stanford/CAL all suck. UCLA/USC likely gone. Who's he competing with based on what we know today? UW/Oregon and Utah? Hell even if he goes big12, that probably fits him better.

This thread will be interesting for a couple years.
  • Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,604
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes

Fishpo31 said:

doogville said:

Fishpo31 said:

I think that he's going to have a pretty short shelf life. Times they are a changing, but it's not the Buff players fault they were shitty, anymore than it was our players fault they were shitty collectively under Lake. It's shitty leadership, AD, coaches, all down the line.

So he wheelbarrows his big HOF dick into town and tells everybody to GTFO, and his kid is the QB...what could go wrong?

That is not how leaders treat people, even if the house needs to be cleaned. He's betting on "his" FCS guys coming with him, and poaching a bunch of guys who are quitters, over scheme, PT, or "I want my money"...He's going to make a lot of promises, and kids (and their parents) are going to buy it, for now.

When he starts poaching guys, he's painting a big target on his back. People will be looking for anything and everything to shoot him down.

The sizzle box is checked, steak is TBD...

IMO, it will go one of two ways...a fabulous success, or a flaming dumpster.

If it isn't a train wreck, he's at FSU in three years tops...

Pretty funny to write all that and then end with “it might be a fabulous success.” Lol.

Colorado was dead. Whether or not Prime wins, he’s a jolt of life and interest into that program. I think it’s a brilliant hire.
    No question. The program is dead, and they need juice. His message appears to be something on the order of "Junction Boys v.2023". He is going "ride or die" with his kid, so who is going to go there to sit behind him? I haven't watched his kid play, but there are a lot of "legendary" QBs in FCS that put up video game numbers.

He didn't come in and lay out his program, how they do things, where they want to get to. He told them to LEAVE. How many guys will he have to bring in? 50? 70? How will he recruit QBs to come in and sit, with no shot of competing for the position? He may have the juice to do it, but you need guys for depth, for scout team, to hold tackling dummies. He just chased those guys out, IMO.

Prime speaks his mind, unfiltered. He gives the impression that "We'll out-recruit everyone and have a whole, new, great team". It has been trending that way (USC), and if he pulls this off, it will change the game. I don't see it being attainable or sustainable, but no one has ever tried to do it to this extent. It's why we watch...
    Prime has a huge ego and had to do a bunch of do gooder shit at Jackson because he ran a disgraceful charter school in some southern state. He’s a huckster at this level till he isn’t.

For a coach-hating board hh has given this guy 100 blow jobs already.

Get off his dick. He acts like jimmy lake part 2, like he can just waltz in and fix everything by virtue of his genius and personality but he probably has zero system or administrative skill.

Coordinator hires seem good but when things don’t work out easily, is there a real plan? Will he throw kids and coaches under the bus to protect himself? I’m guessing yes, just based on his completely ego centric persona.

This is a guy who has had everything very easy. Greatest athlete of his generation, no hard lessons learned. Championship programs college and nfl.

None of these are indicators of hc success.

This post is not directed at fishpo, I am agreeing with his post.
    Lack of comportment is one thing. Not sure what you'd call this. But I'd start with parasite and then go down the list.

https://nyti.ms/1ovzrQO
    Yeah, he’s a bully and petty dictator who doesnt accept accountability or practice any self-criticism.

I have no doubt he can attract some good portal bait but 4 and 5 star guys with legit shots at the league will eventually tell him to fuck of, so will parents.

I think this is where things are headed with prime.
  • theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,555
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    He’s down to 68 scholarship players for fall after the freshman show up. Either he lands 17 portal players in four days or he’s playing with a short roster next year. His portal guys aren’t all world either. An upgrade over who left? Probably. Greatly so? Not all of them. Young but numbers thin is no way to go through a season.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,428
    edited April 2023

He’s down to 68 scholarship players for fall after the freshman show up. Either he lands 17 portal players in four days or he’s playing with a short roster next year. His portal guys aren’t all world either. An upgrade over who left? Probably. Greatly so? Not all of them. Young but numbers thin is no way to go through a season.

The April 30 deadline for the portal is for players to enter the portal. They can commit to a school any time thereafter or leave the portal if their school has a spot for them.

So CU should have a full roster or thereabouts by fall camp
  • theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,555
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

The April 30 deadline for the portal is for players to enter the portal. They can commit to a school any time thereafter or leave the portal if their school has a spot for them.

So CU should have a full roster or thereabouts by fall camp
    TYFYS