Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Rare vid: UW-CU '90. Charles, Donald?

2»

Comments

• Options
    DonaldJonesDonaldJones Member Posts: 70
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Testing 1

TTJ said:

Before stumbling across it on YouTube last night, I didn't know this video existed: Prime Sports's full-game telecast of the gigantic UW-CU game in 1990 (first half, second half). Don Poier and Chuck Nelson on the call. Charles Mincy and Donald Jones both prominently featured.

Although the Dawgs lost this one in agonizing fashion, it's must-see stuff for several reasons. First, it's just a gigantic matchup between the 1990 and 1991 National Champs, that somehow the national media almost entirely overlooked at the time the game was played. Both rosters are littered with legendary players and future pros. This game was also played right smack in the middle of a huge three-week period in terms of CFB plate tectonics: One week prior, UW blanked USC 31-0 (Marinovich's "all I saw was purple" game); one week later, CU kept its undefeated season alive with the infamous "fifth down" sequence against Mizzou.

I had the good (?) fortune of witnessing this game firsthand at Folsom Field. Everybody in the stadium could tell right away these teams were way better than #12 versus #20. It was a true clash of titans. One of the most dramatic, impressive games I've ever seen, full of momentum swings, that went right down to the final minute. I'm wondering whether Charles or Donald has any nostalgia to share.

Man you are right on with this post. I promise I will post more later but I think about this game a lot. If we had have won this game we would have won 2 national championships in in row. I have a few stories I will share later. I even had an opportunity to talk to coach Bill Mccarthney about that game. I remember he had an interesting take not only on that game but that whole season. I will share what he said Tomorrow. Too tired. Just got back from a long trip

TTJ said:

Before stumbling across it on YouTube last night, I didn't know this video existed: Prime Sports's full-game telecast of the gigantic UW-CU game in 1990 (first half, second half). Don Poier and Chuck Nelson on the call. Charles Mincy and Donald Jones both prominently featured.

Although the Dawgs lost this one in agonizing fashion, it's must-see stuff for several reasons. First, it's just a gigantic matchup between the 1990 and 1991 National Champs, that somehow the national media almost entirely overlooked at the time the game was played. Both rosters are littered with legendary players and future pros. This game was also played right smack in the middle of a huge three-week period in terms of CFB plate tectonics: One week prior, UW blanked USC 31-0 (Marinovich's "all I saw was purple" game); one week later, CU kept its undefeated season alive with the infamous "fifth down" sequence against Mizzou.

I had the good (?) fortune of witnessing this game firsthand at Folsom Field. Everybody in the stadium could tell right away these teams were way better than #12 versus #20. It was a true clash of titans. One of the most dramatic, impressive games I've ever seen, full of momentum swings, that went right down to the final minute. I'm wondering whether Charles or Donald has any nostalgia to share.

Man you are right on with this post. I promise I will post more later but I think about this game a lot. If we had have won this game we would have won 2 national championships in in row. I have a few stories I will share later. I even had an opportunity to talk to coach Bill Mccarthney about that game. I remember he had an interesting take not only on that game but that whole season. I will share what he said Tomorrow. Too tired. Just got back from a long trip

I was there

I was there

TTJ said:

• Options
    DonaldJonesDonaldJones Member Posts: 70
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Testing 1
    edited April 2015

TTJ said:

Ok. Here is my Coach McCartney story

I was selected to play in the Japan Bowl right after the Rose Bowl Game in 92 vs Michigan. Coach McCartney w.as the Head coach on the West All Star Team and he selected me as Team Captain. So We got together every-night during that week to talk. But we really talked about the the upcoming Japan Bowl. We talked mostly about the game between the UW Vs Colorado and just life in general. One of the nights we got to talking about the 90 season in which they won the National Championship. I expressed how frustrating it was to lose that game after being in great position to win in the end. He said, "Don, don't beat your self up on that because God told me before the year we would win the National Championship, How else could you explain the 5th down Game". I know some of you guys don't believe in that but man he had a point on that one.

I have to admit I had some doubt when he told me God told him to pack 80,000 men in stadiums across the country to come together a make promises to be better husbands and fathers while praising the Lord. I said to myself that would be a miracle. Billy Graham couldn't do that. Sure enough a few years later he started the Promise Keepers That packed stadiums across the nation. I witnessed that myself when he had one at the LA coliseum.
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,556
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter

I was there

My first dad was too.
  • Options
    JamesChristiansonJamesChristianson Member Posts: 45
    5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes Testing 1
    Of all coaches, Don James didn't run the ball in on the goal line. That was a shocker. Bigger shocker is that I don't remember it being televised.
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Hey Donald,

Did you live on the 8th floor of Lander Hall at UW? And was Greg Lewis your room mate? I think I remember you guys living right across the floor from me when I as at UW, but that was a long time ago and my memory isn't quite what it used to be.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,794
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Even now I can't watch. That at UCLA from that year were the lowest football moments of my life.

It's weird how Oregon '00 didn't have the same feel, but it didn't.

Yep, the UCLA loss is by far the worst. It cost UW back to back NC's. First game I ever saw. My family was at the aisle, starring back as Brad Daluiso kicked the FG to win the game for UCLA.

When this topic came up on dawgman you'd have people saying the worst losses were 98 Arizona, 02 Michigan, 03 Nevada, every game in 08, etc….just a bunch of games that didn't fucking matter beyond that day. Shows how stupid our fan base has become.

For me the worst reaction to a loss was 92 Arizona. I will never get over that.
    I was there as well. It was very deflating but, and call me a Doog, the fact they made a RB after a very ordinary (for the time, now Doogs would love it) three year stretch helped ease the blow. That '92 AZ game was worse IMO.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,839
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Of all coaches, Don James didn't run the ball in on the goal line. That was a shocker. Bigger shocker is that I don't remember it being televised.

I remember listening to the end of the game at home on the radio so I think you're right about it not being on TV.

As a guy who got into football during high school (I was a senior during the 1990 season), I remember even then being perplexed that UW didn't run the ball in that situation.
  • Options
    unfrozencavemanunfrozencaveman Member Posts: 2,303
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    The good folks at PSN did not broadcast this? I was still in high school as well - too busy growing a mullet and being a toolshed

Take a look at that first and goal from the 7. Brunell had a little running room. Mario & Orlando were getting hammered, that's the only reason Gaspard was in? Where was Aaron Pierce

Like someone said earlier, could of gone either way
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,922
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes